Throughout this post I would like to share my thoughts about how a rework for LB (my main) could look like in a potential upcoming TG. Also, I would like to highlight some (the most major) problems of Lawbringer for the devs and provide some possible solutions for them.
So, let's begin:
The biggest issue Lawbringer needs to face every time is that he can't open people up. His offence from neutral is not functional and doesn't pose any threat to the enemy. His chain pressure is also lacking because he must throw heavy attacks non-stop to access the more viable parts of his kit. But those heavy attacks can be easily countered, so LB needs to feint a lot of them. This creates a vicious circle, since by doing this he is consuming a lot of stamina but in return he can't cause damage consistently. LB's design in todays For Honor really shuts him between unnecessary limits. If you're up against a Lawbringer, most of the time you can't really loose against him, you can only loose against yourself.
And there are the feat options. A big portion of Lawbringer's feats are either extremely situational or juts borderline useless. Besides Body count, Righteous Deflection, Pungo Mortis, Second Wind and Igneus Imber the rest of his feats are barely picked and and not viable enough. This leaves him with 5 worthwhile feats out of 12. I didn't count Juggernaut (I know it can be useful) because according to my experience when I activate it, the whole fight turns into a stare contest, and I'm unable to do anything because of LB's poor offense and non-existent chase.
Because of this I will provide some feat change ideas as well.
Here are my ideas:
Note: Lawbringer's current stats are pulled from the For Honor Information Hub, you can find the link at the end of this post.
· It should be sped up to 500ms (from 700 lol) from a forward dodge (just like how the chain version is 500ms) with the usual input window of 300-500ms, from a side dodge it should be 533 or 600ms (whichever is more balanced) with the same input window
· Shove should be available after every heavy, zone attack, Vicious Assault and Swift Justice Strike (see the last two later) after a 333ms delay (from 400)
· Shove links into light and heavy chain attacks after a miss
· Miss-recoveries should be changed: 700ms for blocking (from 500), 700ms for dodging (from 800) and 600ms for counter GB-ing (from 400), unless followed-up with an attack
· Shove no longer pauses stamina regeneration
· All other aspects stay the same (check out the link for more info)
· This would improve his neutral/OOS pressure and would give him a viable opener/non-parry defensive option
· Both versions should have reduced stamina cost of 40 from 60 (or maybe even lower because of the OS removal)
· Both versions should function as a heavy chain starter, therefore you could follow them up with a light/heavy chain attack or a Shove
· Both versions should have a bit wider/bigger hit-box (for minion clearing and team fights)
· From neutral it should be undodgeable (LB has a hard time against dodge-specialists with dodge cancels and extended I-frames according to my experience. Having an undodgeable attack from neutral would make those match-ups somewhat easier even if 700ms is quite reactable)
· Every other aspects stay the same
· After a parry (a.k.a. Make Way) it should be 800ms (from 900)
· Every other aspects stay the same
· It should be sped up to 900ms (from 1000)
· Recoveries should be changed: 1000ms for blocking (from 1200), 1200ms for dodging (from 1400) 1200ms for counter GB-ing (from 1400)
· It should be protected by HA after 200ms up until LB hits the target with the shaft of his weapon (so up until the move makes contact but not any further, even on a miss)
· It should guarantee a safe side heavy (it is unsafe now)
· It should deal 50 stamina damage (from 40)
· It should cost 20 stamina (from 12)
· This is the only move in LB’s kit which should pause stm regeneration for 1 second
· Every other aspect (if there’s any) stay the same
Long Arm is a very situational and easy-to-punish move, doesn’t give LB a safe max punish and it is pointless in duels, so to make up for those it should be threatening at least. By making these changes Long Arm would be a bit safer to preform and it would reward LB for landing it. These suggestions would turn this move into a proper ganking tool (more stm damage, and safe punish etc.). Stm cost has been increased to balance the move out. The HA doesn’t last for long so the move is still interruptible (even more so in team fights) once it made contact, considering how telegraphed and distinct the animation is.
Regular attack changes:
· The range/forward momentum of his light attacks (at least the chain starters) should be improved a bit (often, especially if you walk sideways while attacking, his light chain starters doesn’t reach the enemy in front of him, however he wields one of the longest weapons in the game. It can be off-putting)
· Top heavy chain starter and chained top heavy no longer stuns, causes stm damage (from 30 on both) and pauses stm regeneration
· Chained top heavy should be sped up to 800ms (from 900), damage should be reduced to 27 (from 28, this way every chained heavy has the same damage and speed)
· Top light finisher should be sped up to 400ms (from 500), damage should be reduced to 10 from 14 (same as Valkyrie)
· Side heavy finisher damage should be reduced to 28 (from 30, this will make sense later on)
· Top heavy finisher no longer causes stun and pauses stm regeneration, but it causes 20 stm damage (from 0). It also should be sped up to 1000ms (from 1100). It has HA 200ms into the move.
· All side heavy attacks should have a wider/bigger hit-box (for minion clearing and team fights)
· All other aspects of every attack stay the same
This would remove or significantly limit the controversial aspects of LB’s attacks while also putting the focus on the (top) heavy finishers as they have more capabilities than just dealing damage. HA was added to the top heavy finisher because it is clearly inferior compared to the side ones, having a smaller hit-box and slower speed. Now it can be used to trade damage and it is better in team fights as well, just like every side heavy with the better hit-boxes.
Special parry punishes:
· Impaling Riposte is completely removed from his kit (he can still do it via his sprint attack)
· Blind Justice (the unblockable heavy) should be improved: now you can do it from any direction after any parry (heavy input immediately after a parry). It is only guaranteed after a light parry, but still can be used as a bait after a heavy parry. From the top it should deal 26 damage (from 25), 20 stm damage (from 30), should not stun and pause stm regeneration but it should have HA immediately after the input (this would protect it from attacks in team fights, similarly to Gryphon). From the sides it should deal 24 damage, no stm damage, no stm regeneration pause, no stun, no HA, but it is 800ms unlike the top version which is 1200ms.
· Light Riposte shouldn’t deal stm damage (from 15) and it shouldn’t pause stm regeneration. Stun duration is reduced to 1000ms (from 1500). Furthermore, it is no longer a chain starter but it has really fast recoveries and it leaves LB in frame advantage.
· All other aspects of the mentioned moves stay the same
· This would make LB’s parry punishes less frustrating and a bit less threatening when it comes to certain options, but all of them would still stay viable.
· New option: Vicious Assault
· Forward dodge + heavy input (200ms-400ms into the forward dodge)
· Roll catcher
· 800ms, 20 dmg, 12 stm
· Good tracking and range, but not undodgeable
· Feintable (regular feint timing of a 800ms attack)
· Immediately has HA after the feint window
· Counts as a heavy chain starter (follow-ups: light/heavy chain attack, Shove)
· Always comes from the top
LB has bad chase and he completely lacks a peeling tool. This would improve on both of those, especially the latter, plus it would also make him more threatening in team fights, since now you can easily space him out.
· New option: dodge soft-feint
· LB should be able to soft-feint the start-up of every heavy finisher/Blind Justice into a dodge (therefore into a shove if the player would like to do one). This is similar of how Kensei, Peacekeeper, Berserker can soft-feint top heavy attacks with a dodge. This would allow LB to create more mind-games, improving his offense: is it a heavy finisher, or a hard-feint into something or a soft-feint shove/dodge bait or a forward dodge soft-feint into Vicious Assault? On top of this, this new capability could be used as a good tool for spacing and defense (from interruption attempts) in team fights.
· New option: L + L + H chain
· This is self-explanatory (allows LB to get to his unblockables without throwing a slow and easy-to-parry heavy attack mid-chain)
· New option: Shove Riposte
· Also self-explanatory, LB should be able preform a guaranteed Shove after any parry
This would compensate for the removal of Impaling Riposte and also for the limitations of his tweaked Light Riposte. It would also give LB a choice after parries: go for the stun and frame advantage (Light Riposte) or for stm damage and chaining capabilities (Shove Riposte).
· New option: the Swift Justice Strike stun mix-up
· Swift Justice Finisher is changed to Swift Justice Strike
· It is a guaranteed follow-up after any successful heavy finisher/Blind Justice
· Deals 4 damage (from 5), 200ms, 6 stm
· Stuns and causes 10 stm damage
· No stm regeneration pause
· Can be followed up with Shove or a special version of your regular heavy chain attacks
· These heavies are special because they have HA 200ms into the move, but only if they were preformed after a Quick Justice Strike, all other aspects are the same
This would create a less annoying stun usage compared to what LB has now, since to access stun LB either needs to land a heavy finisher (to be able to access Swift Justice Strike) or preform a parry (Light Riposte). After the Swift Justice Strike the Shove would guarantee the chain light (unless dodged) and link into the finishers (if the heavy finisher lands it is an infinite chain) or if the opponent dodges the Shove the special heavy follow-up (at least the side ones) would catch the early dodge most of the time and link to the finishers.
This might seems really powerful, but keep in mind that in order to access this infinite loop and the Swift Justice Strike stun mix-up, LB must land a heavy finisher before. Remember that the Light Riposte is not the Swift Justice Strike, the animation is the same but the properties and aspects are not. This means that LB can’t get into the Swift Justice Strike stun mix-up from a Light Riposte, but he can after he choses to do a Swift Justice Strike instead of a Shove after a successful Blind Justice.
· Replace Conqueror with Tireless (LB has a stamina management problem because he mainly throws heavy attacks and he also needs to feint them a lot. This consumes a lot of stamina while not necessarily awards him with damage as both heavies and GBs can be easily countered. This feat would improve his stamina costs a bit, which would go hand in hand with his new and more aggressive offense)
· Rework Harsh Judgment
· Current effect: for 30 seconds, opponent’s attacks will cost 25% more stamina, stamina regeneration is slowed, OOS recovery is slowed, cooldown: 45 seconds
· New effect: stops the stamina regeneration of the selected opponent for 5 seconds, cooldown: 1 minute
Tier 2: (this is just a cool idea more than anything IMO, it’s not necessary)
· Replace Fiat Lux with Against the Wall
· Effect: passive, if within a capture zone or Breach healing zone, gain 15 points of temporary (lasts for 10 seconds) Health Shield on a heavy parry and gain 20 points of temporary (lasts for 10 seconds) Health Shield on a light parry. Cooldown: 8 seconds after Health Shield activation to prevent LB from gaining a bunch of shields when doing multiple parries in a row in ganks. The shields received from this feat can stack upon each other until the maximum amount of 50 points. If you already have more than 50 points of shield from any other source you won’t receive anything from this feat.)
Replace Takedown with Tough as Nails (Takedown is useless on LB and nobody uses it, so it would be more useful to turn LB into a tank with all that full plate armor he has. You would trade Second Wind with this option, but it would provide LB with better feat variety and combined with his perks he could reach really high amounts of HP, similarly to Warlord or JJ for example, which is fitting for his looks/design.)
Replace Catapult with Morale Booster (LB has some really good AoEs already, so having a Tier 4 support feat which boosts the damage of the entire team is a better choice and gives him more variety.)
That's it! I hope the devs will use some of these ideas and other ideas here on the Forums for upcoming hero reworks.
If you have any opinions feel free to write them down.
Information Hub link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GrDRm_2w-2bjt9vw0Jowd2xNzOJDDBH_MAXWbStzA_w/edit#gid=490712682
Thanks for reading, have a nice day! 🙂