Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TaliesinWard
    Original poster 14 posts

After testing the new close camera mode I've found it to be a step in the right direction, however during combat the camera is still too far away. This is a problem in 2 ways:

1. Reduced readability in combat - the zoom distance makes it difficult for those of us without gigantic expensive monitors to time parries and dodges because we can't see the enemy attack animations. A closer camera would fix this issue.
    2. Reduced immersion - the current zoom distance while fighting outdoors makes me feel like I'm watching the battle, not actively participating in it. I don't know if the camera zoom is set up this way because of lazy animations or as a band-aid solution for some other bug, but if it was designed this way on purpose it definitely seems like a mistake. Some of us want to see the gore, the finisher moves and actually feel like we ARE Eivor (it is a role-playing game after all). At the moment combat looks like drone footage of something I would very much enjoy to actually be doing.

Please give us an adjustable camera distance and allow us to choose whether we want the drone camera during combat toggled. Player agency is important in all games, but especially role-playing games. I know it is more work and ubi already has our money so I guess they can do whatever they want, but please pretend you're all working on it just to turn around in 12 months time and just say flat out "It's working as intended" like what's happened recently with the hooded walk speed bug (which still hasn't actually been fixed btw). Claiming a bug is a feature is lazy, and ultimately tarnishes the experience of your users and will reduce sales/player retention in the long run.

So yes - more camera options please and thanks keep up the mostly great work 🙂

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1436 posts

@taliesinward Thank you for your feedback, I have forwarded this on to the Assassin's Creed Valhalla team.

Official Response
  • caosck
    450 posts

@ubi-keo I do not agree

a wider field of view, gives me a better understanding of how many enemies I have around

it's perfect like this,
    don't change anything! XD

• Ubi-Keo

@caosck Thanks for your feedback.

All players have different preferences, don't worry I'm confident that the Assassin's Creed Valhalla team would not make any changes to the current view, if they were to make any changes then they would most likely just add additional options.

Official Response
  • eternal_vikingr
    7 posts

@ubi-keo For what it's worth, I share the same sentiment as OP. An additional option for decreased camera distance from the player during combat would be great. It's awesome that there's already an optional setting for camera distance, perhaps "closer combat camera" could become part of that existing setting.

I would love if there was an optional "Immersive Camera" setting, incorporating (hypothetically... replacing) the currently available optional camera setting & a more-closeup combat camera, focused much more on what's in front of the player - for example, what comes to mind is the newest God of War & that game's combat features a very closeup perspective on what's immediately in front of the player, contrary to previous entries in the same franchise.

I'm not saying I'm expecting any changes to the camera which would end up resulting in a God of War-like-camera in AC Valhalla. But I'm not saying I would be opposed. 😚

• caosck
    450 posts

matter of taste, for example, I have never liked first person view games

• TaliesinWard
    Original poster 14 posts

@ubi-keo Thanks for the quick response 🙂

• TaliesinWard
    Original poster 14 posts

@eternal_vikingr What would be ideal in my opinion is to have some sliders to adjust camera distance in various game states i.e. in combat vs. out of combat - this way everybody can play how they want to regardless of monitor size. Personally I'd set it to something similar to Origins and the earlier games as I think they nailed it back then - if it ain't broke...

• Ubi-Keo

@taliesinward You're welcome 🙂

@caosck That's correct, every player has their own preferences.

@eternal_vikingr Thanks for you feedback.

Official Response
  • adkogz7
    15 posts

Feedback: Optional Close Camera Setting for Closer FoV during combat | Ubisoft Forums - I have had given this feedback back even before this game even released, hoping for this happened but got no feedback or reply from the community managers.

Hopefully TaliesinWard's thread makes it a priority for the devs to implement in the next update since an actual community manager forwards this to the dev team, combat camera distance is the only sour taste that this game prevents me to play the game, it's quite a dealbreaker for me.

Valhalla's "1v1 boss fight camera" is my suggestion to a great solution for default combat camera instead of the current dynamic "Diablo-esque isometric camera", boss fight camera has enough closeness for immersion plus it's not covering too much screen space, but a slider of sorts could be preferable for micromanage the perfect camera for different preferences 🙂 If a slider will be implemented, I'm hoping for both a horizontal and vertical sliders, some people like to see their characters closer to the ground as well.

One important part is close combat camera should be static, not dynamic like the current one, it shouldn't have a zoom-in zoom-out situation according to how many enemies there are on the screen. It's essential.

Hope Odyssey and Origins will have an update for camera options as well.

• adkogz7
    15 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • adkogz7
    15 posts

Since I can't edit my last post after 10min because of the forum rule, I have to add it here:

undefined
    This is a great example (Leofrith Boss Fight) to my suggestion for a close combat camera for all combat situation, it's lower to the ground and close enough to be immersive. It doesn't have the "dynamic zoom-in zoom-out isometric situation according to enemy count" issue as well, the camera distance from Eivor stays always the same. I'd ask this one for an optional camera.

I hope @Ubi-Keo can deliver this to the dev team as well, I'd be very glad to have this in the game, would be wonderful.

• Ubi-Keo

@adkogz7 Thanks for your feedback, I will forward it on.

Official Response
  • XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

@ubi-keo problem are not only distance, but also angle.

Camera should be Always BACK the pg,not 3/4 angle, or left,when we lock enemy.

Look at souls camera, that follow pg in every single movement.

🙂

• Ubi-Keo

@xx-artorias-xx Thanks for your feedback.

Official Response
  • PierreAngelique
    28 posts

Yes! I just just made a post about this and saw your post. I have hated the camera in this game since day 1 and I have still not left Norway because of this single issue. The combat camera makes the game unplayable to me as I cannot tell what is going on, it is super disorienting. If this was a turn based RPG, ok that is fine for it to zoom out so far. But as an action rpg in which timing and parrying is important, the camera is just horrendous imo, I constantly loose track of my guy when in large crowds, and objects like tents, fences, ect. get in the way too as they occupy the field of view. It also just takes me out of the action and I think it would be a lot more immersive if it was closer. The exploration cam added in a patch was a good step but I was so confused as to why it was exploration only and not combat. The game seems like it has improved a lot since launch but I still honestly cannot play it because of the camera, which is disappointing bc Viking setting was my dream game Assassin's Creed game.

• PierreAngelique
    28 posts

@caosck He is asking for an option, similar to how there is an option for the exploration cam. Personally I think the wide field of view is pointless for situational awareness if you can't see your guy when in large groups and lose track of the action. Also the constant zooming in and out and swinging around of the "dynamic" camera makes some people nauseous. A closer and more static camera in combat would be a wonderful option for many players. There have been many posts about this precise issue since launch, so OP is certainly not alone in wanting this as an option.

• PierreAngelique
    28 posts

@xx-artorias-xx Agreed. It needs some kind of horizontal offset slider option, so people can center the camera. The 3/4 offset, especially during combat, is very disorienting in my opinion.

• PierreAngelique
    28 posts

This is a perfect example of what is needed. The game would be so much better for many players if this was an option for all combat, not just select boss fights.

• pesto.
    152 posts

I’d like a preference for really up close, and TBH I’d be fine for it to switch between visual quality levels when in combat as opposed to out. So free roam would be at best quality lower frame rates, then combat would ramp it up to locked 60fps by dropping ray tracing, lower the LOD etc.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics