Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Oatiecrumble
    Original poster 309 posts

Well my time has come to a end playing Path of Exile, i have got to a stage of if i go further i will be at a point of being a hardcore player and i ain't that player so i'm back onto TD2.

My question is "What is your favorite build for open world?"

When i say "Open World" i mainly mean "Control Points"

Out of all the builds i have i just find there is nothing more satisfying than my two rifle builds.....pretty much both builds are the same as each other, the only difference is one is with Fox's Prayer kneepads and the other is with Sawyer's kneepads.

I know some will say "Why Lucky Shot over Boomerang"....well it's quite simple, i play 99.9% solo and due to how the enemies move missing shots is part of the course as i have very little time to line up perfect shots due to being solo, so missed shots is a blessing, plus a lot less re-loading.

Oh and i forgot....this one is a biggy...."Beers" also play a major part with "Lucky Shot" 🤣

Anyway, i know this is my playstyle/build what is your favorite for open world....basically what one satisfies you the most for fun!!

My two Rifle Builds:

Fox's Prayer Build:

undefined

undefined

Sawyers Build:

undefined

undefined

Sorry for image quality, website keeps saying image dimensions too big.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• xcel30
    403 posts

Since i do most of my open world solo i don't have to worry about enemy scalling as much, so i end up defaulting to my ongoing directive gear set or whatever flavor of the month i'm testing out such as tip of the spear sharpshooter, extra crispy flamethrower EP, basic rigger with turrets and oxidizer (stand still and the oxidizer kills them, run away from cover and turret gets them) or comfy hunters fury shotgun and SMG.

I don't really min max gear so i just have most attributes matching what i want in the set with decent rolls, i'm a simple man that is not out to farm legendary and raids so my builds are more than enough

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

This is a hard one to answer for me as it really depends on the directives being used while attacking the CP. If I use no directives and I want speed as a priority then I'd attack with an Eclipse Protocol Fire/Bleed and in those couple of seconds you get between taking the control point and it being counter attacked I swith to an ND LMG build. That's 6mins or so give or take random.

If I want challange then I'd go in with an AR build with all 5 directives and I'd make sure I start with zero ammo.

If I just want a laugh and feel like punishing the NPCs I'll go in full Hi-Ex Mortar/Seeker and blow them to high heaven.

If I want some CQB action I'll rock my OD set and only use its shotty or if I'm feeling lazy I'll go in with HF/Shield/Scorpio

It depends on how I feel at the time. But there is never a time where I'm happy that during a CP take over I also end up fighting two other factions who seem to just turn up out of the blue, nor the two elite patrols with their two waves of reinforcements or the bloody quadcopter turning up for the lulz (none of this being there while I clear the surrounding area) or while you think that's a rusher you hear only to see the bloody loot goblin is there for some god forsaken reason and just when you think it's all over.. cue the music.. rogues. I lie a bit here as if you get through it then it is a lot of fun but utterly unplanned. Not fun when all that happens and you have no ability to react to it though.

• N3mB0t
    357 posts

for me lately it has been the PFE build , its like walking around in god mode , but it can vary to some sniping or skills if im feeling a bit lazy.

• Oatiecrumble

Gotta say i have gone right off my skill build in open world, dunno why it just bores me 😨

• Oatiecrumble

Something i thought i would share.....YES this has been gone over quite extensively on the old forum but i'm gonna share my findings anyway.

Shooting Range:

Highest hit with:
    Fox's Prayer Kneepads: 2,981,790.0

Highest hit with:
    Sawyers Kneepads (full 10 stacks): 3.018,530.0

Open World:

Playing in open world doing CP4's out of the two it feels that when using Fox's Prayer Kneepads they out do Sawyers Kneepads by a noticable feel.

Survivability wise Sawyers wins, but nothing to write home about.....basically not groundbreaking.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@riflemania Missing 20 stacks though as the difference is much larger than what you have? But I'm done with that conversation tbh. I know what the answer is already.

• Sircowdog1
    77 posts

I tend to roll with whatever I feel like playing at the time. Sometimes it's my AR build, other times Negotiators or a rifle build. Every once in awhile I'll use a Mortar build for the lolz.

EP falls apart because enemies spread out too much.
    Turret/Drone is just boring.

• Oatiecrumble
    @riflemania Missing 20 stacks though as the difference is much larger than what you have? But I'm done with that conversation tbh. I know what the answer is already.

Sorry that "10" was a typo error ☺

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@riflemania re Sawyer's OK, np.

On your other post. You do get bored though. I ran skill builds for the first year of the game as I really enjoy running them, but I got tired in the end - a lot of that had to do with the nerf fest around TU6-8 as I got [censored] off with all the BS nerfs driven by PvP whiners. I stiil use them a lot but these days the 16 loadouts I use are a wide mix of possible builds and playstyles. Still enjoy skills the most.

• Oatiecrumble
    @riflemania re Sawyer's OK, np.

On your other post. You do get bored though. I ran skill builds for the first year of the game as I really enjoy running them, but I got tired in the end - a lot of that had to do with the nerf fest around TU6-8 as I got [censored] off with all the BS nerfs driven by PvP whiners. I stiil use them a lot but these days the 16 loadouts I use are a wide mix of possible builds and playstyles. Still enjoy skills the most.

I did have about 15 builds, most if not all was fully optimized but over the last 3-4 mths i have got rid of most of them......mainly because i did not like the playstyle that goes with them.

It's quite easy for me to remove builds as there is a lot of stuff in the game i don't like using:

Pistols (bores me)
    LMG's (you will never ever see me use one of these, hate them to bits)
    MMR's (not viable enough)
    Shotguns (just not a fan apart from Scorpio CC)

I pretty much don't like most skills so the only ones i really use is:

Healing drone
    Revive Hive
    Turret
    Striker Drone + Turret combo
    Seeker Mines (well used too)
    Blinder Firefly (well used too)
    Stinger Hive (well used too)

So with all the above in mind it pretty much narrows my builds down too:

2 x Rifle Builds (my fave)
    1 x AR + SMG Build
    1 x Legendary Build
    1 x Turret + Drone build

So i have gone from 15+ builds down too 5 builds 😆

What a boring life i lead 🤡

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@riflemania 😁 I bet there good builds though. That's a bit of a problem in general though I think. If you can make a buid that gets you through everything solo then why bother with anything else? I understand players who see things that way or who only run a couple of variations of the same theme but, wow, how fast must they have gotten bored of that?

I dunno, each to their own I guess.

• Metal_Greg
    89 posts
    Gotta say i have gone right off my skill build in open world, dunno why it just bores me 😨

maybe try using skills other than assualt turret and drone. like sniper turret and oxidizer, much more engaging.

• Metal_Greg
    89 posts
    I tend to roll with whatever I feel like playing at the time. Sometimes it's my AR build, other times Negotiators or a rifle build. Every once in awhile I'll use a Mortar build for the lolz.

EP falls apart because enemies spread out too much.
    Turret/Drone is just boring.

turret and drone build is boring? why do people keep saying that? yeah, it's pretty boring if you just sit in cover the whole time. But If you use combined arms and capacitor to keep you shooting it's basically the same game-play as an AR build but better because the aggro is on your skills instead of you. personally i find weapon builds much more boring, it's very one-dimensional and you have nothing to get the enemy out of cover so you end up having to play whack a mole.

• Oatiecrumble
    maybe try using skills other than assualt turret and drone. like sniper turret and oxidizer, much more engaging.

I have tried them all, they all pretty much bored me......the only one that excited me was the blinder firefly cc build i had when i played legendary mode...then came the nerf.

Maybe i'm just not a skill build player.

• tcarlisle2012
    147 posts

I have been enjoying playing the Hunter's Fury + Memento + Crusader Shield + Scorpio build for a number of weeks now. Before I got the scorpio (actually, I had it for weeks before I cared to try it) I was running this build but using SMG as primary weapon and Baker's Dozen as secondary. But since trying scorpio, it is monumentally more effective than using an SMG.

What really impressed me with this game the most,m was how differently the game plays when you make a significant change in your build and playstyle. I used to be a AR/Nemesis/Negotiator's Dilemma guy. Back then, I would have said the right way to handle a control point is to keep a distance and draw them out to you..... and the stupidest thing you can do is try to run into the middle and face tank.

But now, I'd tell you the right way to handle a control point is to run into the middle! That is exactly what I mean by it is impressive in how it becomes a completely different game.

Since the question states the context is control points, I'll summarize how I handle a control point with this build.

1) Never call for the friendly reinforcements when attacking. This is the 1st phase where you just have to capture and hold the control point through a few waves. If you call the reinforcements, a) it isn't helpful, and b) it takes away a break you get when phase 1 if over. And my CP strategy really requires this break.

2) Sprint into the heart of the CP so you are within range to do max damage with Scorpio. Also, you need to be up close and in the heart because your hunter's fury (HF) damage buff is important. Reds will take about 2 hits to down them. Purples will take about 3 to 4, and yellows will take anywhere from 4 to dozens depending on archetype. You want the first NPC you shoot at to be one that you can drop quickly, because the confused status from your 4 piece HF build will render the rest of the NPCs as sitting ducks. Usually you can get 3 or 4 or all of them in your first engagement.

3) If you don't get them all, or very many, you pop out the shield and keep your shield in the front to incoming shots, and you continue to whittle the NPC numbers down. Leverage the Scorpio status effects to further buy time. Shoot BT heavies ammo belt, etc. to keep archetypes from being able to attack, etc.

4) When you finish the first group of NPC's, the next wave will spawn. By this time, we all pretty much know where they spawn. So you just sprint in that direction to get in close and repeat the same thing.

5) Do it again for the next wave, and this wave will also include the named elite. If the named is an archetype that is easy to drop, like a sniper, I focus on them first. Otherwise, I focus on the remaining NPCs.

6) When you finish that wave and the elite, now you get that break I talked about. Refill your ammo, and get in position and THEN call the reinforcements. The right position is where you think (or know) the NPCs will spawn and rush in from. Again, you need to be as close as possibly to intercept while they are still close together.

7) Most CP's have two directions the incoming waves will spawn from, so you just take your best guess. If you are wrong, spring to the other direction. Some CP's have a fixed spawn, like Navy Plaza and that Construction Site. You can literally call the friendlies and then run to the sewer grate they come out from and kill them as they crawl up the ladder. LOL.

That really is about it. You just need to get in close and intercept them on the second wave. The power of the scorpio, plus the buffs from HF and status effects from both make it almost trivial. And of course, playing this style and as described above, the CP is done fast. Like, in most cases, well under 10 minutes. Under 5 for the easier ones, and/or if you get lucky and guess the right directions on the second phase.

Playing this build and style, you really depart from the traditional "cover" that we all learned early on in this game. It is still a cover based shooter, but the cover becomes more about using the environment and angles to cut of NPCs line of sights, etc and a lot less crouching behind an object.

I spent a lot of time playing this game "wrong", and by that I mean not being aggressive enough and playing with an "always be pushing forward" style. When the NPCs spawn, they are quite vulnerable and easy pickings. It is far easier to use a build and playstyle that prevents them from bedding in, because once they do this game gets monumentally harder -- especially on heroic content.

With this build and playstyle, I am almost always sprinting. Spring, take out this group, then sprint to the opposite direction and take those out, etc.

The shield is important because you can take more risk. When you run into the middle of the CP to engage them at close range, there isn't always any cover. And you don't always get them all nullified by a status effect, etc. When you detect things going south, the shield is a nice emergency handle.

I also play with my other skill as the revive hive. Again, it allows you to take more risks. But honestly, I don't go down very often. I could see playing without it, but I would not be able to always be rushing forward ets.

• Oatiecrumble

@tcarlisle2012 pretty much the build i use for The Summit......i use Artificer Hive & Crusader Shield....makes the shield less squishy.

undefined

• Sircowdog1
    77 posts
    turret and drone build is boring? why do people keep saying that? yeah, it's pretty boring if you just sit in cover the whole time. But If you use combined arms and capacitor to keep you shooting it's basically the same game-play as an AR build but better because the aggro is on your skills instead of you. personally i find weapon builds much more boring, it's very one-dimensional and you have nothing to get the enemy out of cover so you end up having to play whack a mole

I didn't say that it wasn't effective, which is what you're describing. I said it was boring. There is very little risk, and a lot of the combat is automated. I don't have to be as aware. I don't have to prioritize my targets as much. I don't have to be as careful with cover.

To me, all those things make the combat more dull. I will still use it if I'm trying to do something particularly difficult, like a legendary run. But for the open world? I'd rather play something more engaging.

• Sircowdog1
    77 posts

@tcarlisle2012 Did you see my playlist of HF + Scorpio back when people were saying the game was "impossible" without using a shield? Literally every mission done on heroic using similar tactics to the ones you just described. It's a VERY fun way to play if you're sick of the hiding/cover gameplay.

• Oatiecrumble
    But for the open world? I'd rather play something more engaging.

👍

Suggested Topics