Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheNorfolkian
    Original poster 533 posts

Stealth-killing animals was a fun aspect of AC3, and it made sense to be able to use the hidden blade in hunting situations. While we didn’t have such an ability in Origins, you could use the Rush Assassinate with the spear on beasts in Odyssey. How hard would it be to implement simple assassinations in Valhalla for animals? It seems dumb that I can knock out an animal, but can’t kill it with the hidden blade once it’s down.

Also, both Origins and Odyssey had a feature that would allow you to tame an animal once you knocked it out. Eivor does not have such an ability, but there are two separate abilities to sic a wolf on an enemy and to call a wolfhound to defend you. While I question why the wolfhound ability isn’t in the melee category, I have noticed that both animals barely do any damage once utilized and seem to function as a distraction or to temporarily drag down an enemy for a stomping attack. This is all ridiculous, since there are better abilities on which to use up adrenaline for actual combat. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a single ability to tame a wild animal, which would be at your side until it dies?

On a related note, since Ubisoft has gone through the trouble of featuring exciting mythical beasts as mounts, maybe it wouldn’t be too reasonable to have the ‘call mount’ feature actually call your mount to help fight the enemy until you mount it. It’s kind of silly seeing a big cat or a wolf for a mount when it is afraid of combat.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• pesto.
    161 posts

Agreed on animal companions but did you know that animal assassinations are in the game? You have to be incredibly lucky but you can sneak up to an animal and stealth kill it, I only found out about it because of the buggy Reda quest where you kill the boar that spawned inside of a rock, this was the only way to complete that quest and get the opals, get out of the boars line of sight then stab through the rock with an assassination.

I just think they need to make animals a little less aware of you when you are more leveled up in sneakiness!

As for pets, we need the, back with full skill trees, decorations/armor etc. Make it so that if you lose a pet it’s a big deal, but also that you can level them up to make them strong enough to survive. Primal pets were the best implementation Ubi has done as far as pet controls. I’d like to see something like that.

• TheNorfolkian

@pesto “...when you are more leveled up in sneakiness!”

Sounds like someone’s been playing Skyrim. Hahaha...

By the way, I think the pet skill tree with leveling and customizations would be pretty freaking sweet, and it would certainly be another avenue of profit for Ubisoft by having pet-only armor sets. The idea reminds me of how you could hire and deck out a mercenary in Diablo 2.

Edit: Oh yeah, in Skyrim you could also give your sidekick (or spouse) weapons and armor.

• pesto.
    161 posts

@thenorfolkian well… I have been playing a good amount of Returnal lately and it strikes me a skill tree for pets would be a good way to add a rogue-like element to the game too. You keep your skills, armor etc, and your pets armor. But if your pet dies then you have to tame a new one like in Odyssey and the new one will be at zero on skills and skin level decorations (e.g. paint on an elephant pet if we ever got an AC India).

If the pet could be leveled up to be seriously powerful and helpful and a tactical element then leveling it up would allow you to be very powerful and losing it would effectively set you back quite a bit on larger forts etc if the combat were skill based enough. So it would make it well worth your while to protect and work strategically, and if the whole working with a pet and training it up would be fun and have a slightly randomized skill tree each time, and maybe even it’s armor can have perk slots that are locked to the pet, you find them randomly, switch them out, to get the best combo but don’t get to keep them, so you have to weigh up the best mix each time.

Not only would you be even more invested in your pets to keep them alive, but conversely you might be on the lookout for higher level pets that set you all the way back, but can be trained to a more advanced level.

Theres a whole lot that can be done to make pets more integral and a fun “endless” part of the game.

Perhaps it’s time to ditch the drone/bird as a dedicated slot. Imagine instead if you could still tame a bird, but if you tamed s9thing else it would replace it. So your animal would also be used for scouting, which means if you picked a wolf or bear it would be really terrible at it, but would be used to distract the entire camp, but a normal dog or a rodent would get assassin vision and could walk around the whole area and even pick up smaller loot items for you, or even be given small gifts from the soldiers for doing tricks le you sneak in the back to take out the big cheese, or keeping the soldiers up all night making them somnambulaic in the daytime (an option that would effectively just be like meditate but would assign the animal to annoy so control would return to you outside at dawn with a sleepy castle to deal with and guards with very slow reactions)…

…then add horse purchasing, upgrading, saddle and stirrup upgrades like RDR2, bonding, training. You’d have a really nice expansive animal system….

Oh… and belly rubs. Not just head patting.

• Kormac67
    733 posts

Tamed animals were super useless in Odyssey. They jumped to their death at random or stood in the way.

• TheNorfolkian

@kormac67 That’s true, and it’s probably why the devs decided to drop the feature from Valhalla production in the first place. In my original post, I was only suggesting they bring back the taming feature under the impression that the animal AI would be improved to not do the stupid stuff you noted, but now the idea of having super-pets that you buy skills and gear for feels like a plausible opportunity for Ubisoft to get us to spend more money, if they were inclined.

@pesto Those are some pretty cool ideas. Like, you could tame or buy an animal and upgrade it to up to legendary status like a piece of gear. The animal could be part of your permanent inventory and wouldn’t be able to truly die when killed, but merely be temporarily unavailable like the mount or a Jomsviking, but the downtime would have to be much longer for the reasons you noted. That way, even buying a beast from the store wouldn’t be a waste because they’re never really gone, just healing. I like your idea of different animals having different advantages or attributes for different situations, but it would make sense that the player could only use one animal at a time as their pet. This could actually give the stables in the game a new purpose, as you would have to go back to that person to switch out your animal like you do for a mount or bird. The stables would obviously be the place to train your animal... upgrades, skills, and gear would all be routed through there.

• pesto.
    161 posts

@thenorfolkian I’d actually be fine with permadeath for your pet, or maybe one perk could be vet insurance, but for a single token, the way you describe. It dies before you find or buy another and it’s gone, should cost a major amount too.

If it’s permanent then you will be more invested in keeping it alive if it significantly affects gameplay and your ability. As well as it could offer a lot more replayability, you would have different experiences with each pet due to randomized stats, symbiotic perks that you find, and randomized skill trees.

That way you would also solve the “god like” behavior of recent protagonists to bring it back closer to reality. A player + an animal makes sense that they’d have an easy advantage over any single enemy, like modern protagonists. The player on their own should then be much less powerful, closer to earlier assassins creed protagonists. The mini menu for combat “specials” could instead be replaced with animal commands and animal combat perks like dual stealth takedown or distract, or attack from rear on shielded enemies.

I think that because it’s only the pet, and not your main character, their perks, nor armor or weaponry then it’s a more acceptable way to bring roguelike/extra lite mechanics into an AC game, or at least the advantages of them, I.e. replayability, the joy of leveling up as often as you want or can’t avoid, ever evolving and changing experience.

• TheNorfolkian

@pesto That’s a good argument, though the animal gear should at least default back to the player inventory once the beast dies in case you decide on utilizing one type as your pet after experiencing all possible animal friends.

I was giving more thought to your idea about animal combat commands, and maybe if Ubisoft were to bring back the melee ability switching function from Odyssey, the second set of melee abilities could be customized with animal commands. However, that might be a bit too specialized, as I was originally thinking that melee ability switching would be better for alternate abilities to pair with the load-out switching from Odyssey. I previously brought that up, here. It’s probably best if most animal abilities and skills are passive.

• pesto.
    161 posts

@thenorfolkian check out Far Cry Primal if you haven’t already, they did a good job with animals there. Not as powerful as they could be, but it’s very useful to be able to directly guide your pets.

I’d just have the pet skills that get unlocked on that pets tree as assignable in the special attacks command wheel. So if the pet dies then that command gets lost. Makes it quickly accessible during battle flow.

• TheNorfolkian
    did you know that animal assassinations are in the game? You have to be incredibly lucky but you can sneak up to an animal and stealth kill it, I only found out about it because of the buggy Reda quest where you kill the boar that spawned inside of a rock, this was the only way to complete that quest and get the opals, get out of the boars line of sight then stab through the rock with an assassination.

@pesto I finally got lucky on a Reda quest in Lunden where I had to kill one of the boars at the Lolingstone Bandit Camp. I was able to get an assassination indicator when waiting above it on the rooftop opening. This is the only time I have ever seen an option to assassinate an animal. The boar was not in a rock or glitched in some other way though.

• pesto.
    161 posts

@thenorfolkian yeah, I feel like it should be more possible to do. If you’re meant to be an assassin then stealthy hunting should be possible even if animals are more alert and have wider/different FOVs e.g. some see movement, others see clearer in front/behind but not to the sides.

TBH it got off to a good start but seems to have stalled and now the whole animals thing feels very shallow and more like set dressing than anything else right now in AC. I’d love to see it become more in depth like RDR2 or dedicated hunting games.

In those games animals really seem to have realistic “lives”, in the morning animals head to water for a drink and the eagles sun themselves on the rocks, they interact with each other in realistic ways, play, groom and graze as well as attack. They also use scent as well as vision and sound to detect threats.

I feel like Far Cry does a better job than AC at having animal interactions and introducing chaos.

Also AC has gone backwards with the whole “life” thing, peasants now stand out moping in fields all through the night. In origins and odyssey they would go to and from homes, sleep at night. In Unity and to a lesser extent Syndicate the city streets would be crowded with flows of people moving with intent.

Now animals and people seem to just be copy pasted into locations, just spawned off camera and then just stand around like mannequins.

• TheNorfolkian

@pesto Yet another thing that made Odyssey great. The care and attention Ubisoft put into making the ancient Greek world feel alive is pretty amazing.

• TheNorfolkian

@pesto Check it out... I got that Thousand Eyes quest again in Lunden and was able to replicate the assassination. The best part of this was that I didn’t have to go through that silly ‘confirm kill’ routine. Enjoy...

Suggested Topics