Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• kingofcerealg
    Original poster 2 posts

Please don't move this to general discussion. I've seen this topic before and its been moved to general discussion, but I believe this is an incorrect characterization of this issue. The previous request that was dismissed is here: https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/95809/allow-the-option-to-disable-the-complete-map-pack?lang=en-US&_=1625846936098.

Short Version: The Complete Map Pack (as well as its corresponding individual maps) is described in the Animus store incorrectly as "adds a filter to the map that reveals the locations of..." whatever it is you purchase the map for. You would expect that a filter would be some sort of toggle that adds a particular feature to the map. However, when you purchase the pack, all the items are PERMANENTLY added to your map in your current save game and all other save games you EVER play with the game. This is not a filter as the Animus Store describes, this is a complete overhaul of the game map. Worse, I tried to get Ubisoft to remove the map pack from my account (didn't even care if I got refunded the Helix credits or not) and they couldn't even do that. This is a major issue as the Complete Map Pack in its current state adds totally destroys the exploration aspect of the game (which is the part I love most about these games). Please apply SOME sort of fix for this. There are many options that would fix the issue, some of which I've detailed below.

Thorough Version:
    What it is: The Complete Map Pack is described in the Animus Store as follows: "Adds a new map filter that reveals the locations of all Unique Gear Chests, Abilities, Territory Artifacts, and Opal Ores." From this description, we should be able to assume that a filter (such as the existing ones in the map legend of Exploration, Story, etc) would be newly added (i.e. in addition to the already existing ones). In actuality, when you purchase this, no new filter is added to the map at all. Instead, all of the icons that fall under the four categories of map packs now are permanently added to the maps of all games you ever play on your ubisoft account.
    Why it is an issue: This is an actual issue with the game as a whole (and not just a game feedback) because it permanently ruins one of the three core aspects of Assassin's Creed franchise's gameplay (especially since Origins) of Combat, Stealth and Exploration. If you need proof that these three aspects are particularly important to the series' gameplay, just look at the difficulty options of the Gameplay tab of Valhalla's settings menu. The Complete Map Pack permanently invalidates exploration, and makes the difficulty slider for "Exploration" mean nothing in all cases, even new games where you may want to have difficult exploration.
    I've been in contact with Ubisoft support and the fixes I've been presented with are:

1. Turn off the Exploration icon filter in the Map, that way you don't have to see all the now-revealed treasures. "Okay, that would work if the exploration filter didn't include lots of QoL icons and others, such as fast travel points, synchronization points, etc. I still would like to be able to see those"
    2. Don't buy the map pack. "Great I wouldn't have, had I been presented with adequate information on the store page of what I was actually purchasing. Can I get a refund and you can remove the map pack from my account, since the item was misrepresented in the Animus store?" -No, no refunds!- "Okay... can you remove the map pack from my account and not give me the Helix credits back then?" -No! We can't remove items from player's accounts.- "Wonderful..."

What Ubisoft could do to fix this issue:

1. Provide what the Animus store described: The most obvious way would be to provide what players actually expect when they purchase this from the store: a toggleable, new filter that shows all icons that you paid for. When you toggle the new filter off, you should only be able to see what you've already explored and revealed.
    2. Make existing map filters more granular: If I could just toggle off the icon classes that were revealed by the map pack and not see them, I'd be satisfied. I'm sure this would appease most adventure gamers as well. I just don't want to have to turn off all ~20ish icon classes under the exploration filter because that causes as many problems as it solves.
    3. Provide a way to return the map pack/remove it from the account: Should be pretty easy right? At this point I don't even care about the Helix credits, I just want my Assassin's Creed game back.
    4. I don't even want to mention this fourth fix for fear of Ubisoft taking the path of least difficulty as this is not an actual fix, but at least it will help future gamers... Provide more details for what the map pack is in the Animus Store and explain the extent to which it ruins the exploration aspect of the game. Ensure gamers understand that it is permanent, non-toggleable, and non-removeable.

Please do something about this. This was my favorite game until I bought that stupid map pack, thinking it would be nice at endgame to turn on and find any missed items. Now I can hardly bring myself to play it.
    Thanks!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• bielik01
    1000 posts

@kingofcerealg map filters in general would be great, but they're not in the game? We can't decide which icons should be displayed on the map at all, which wasn't the issue with previous games.

• ubi-smash
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1006 posts

Hey folks, thank you for coming to us with these concerns. Please know this topic has already been previously shared with our development team to review, however, I have also provided this thread also regarding the struggles this causes when playing with the Complete Map Pack when purchased. Although I cannot promise changes will be made, we truly appreciate you voicing these concerns, and is incredibly helpful as the team works hard to improve the overall quality. Please feel free to let us know here if you have any additional questions.

Official Response
  • kingofcerealg
    Original poster 2 posts

@ubi-smash I'd be more assured that there is a non-zero chance of this getting fixed if the issue appeared anywhere in the known issues megathread ^^

• Ubi-Viral
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1054 posts

@kingofcerealg At this time we can only pass this to the development team for review. Hopefully it will be sorted soon for you all.

Official Response

Suggested Topics