ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ElectricSquall
    Original poster 28 posts

The DX12 CTD is known, specially when the player is idle/accessing in game menus/stash.

From August 2020 to May 2021, I had 3 AMD builds. Also, 3 different Windows 10 Builds as well (2004, 20H2 and 21H1)

X570 Crosshair VIII Hero + 3900x
    X570 Crosshair VIII Hero + 5900x
    X570 Crosshair VIII Formula + 5950x

At least, once in a day, while I was managing my builds, the game used to CTD.

From May 2021 to nowadays, I've moved back to Intel (Z590 + 10900k) No other components besides Motherboard and CPU were replaced.

And, for my surprise, in a whole month, I didn't have a SINGLE CTD while running The Division 2.

I've heard that some Intel users faced this issue as well, however, considering my experience, in my case, the issue was caused by AMD, specifically the ZEN Architecture. My guess, is that when you're idle, game content "travel" between AMD called core complex' (CCD/CCX) and cache storage, using the Infinity fabric to do so. This behavior is not transparent as it should, leading to a game crash.

I hope this information helps Ubisoft/AMD to fix the issue and help other players.

I've also opened a thread inside AMD forum: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/dx12-crash-to-desktop-while-idle-char-menu-stash-menu-possible/m-p/481339#M42060: (https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/dx12-crash-to-desktop-while-idle-char-menu-stash-menu-possible/m-p/481339#M42060)

Regards!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• RAGE_THERAPY
    80 posts

@ElectricSquall

I run systems with AMD and Intel CPUs and both experience CTD in The Division 2, so I don't believe the CPU is the source or only source of the issue with DX12. I also use both Nvidia and AMD GPUs in a variety of system builds. The CTD issue occurs across Z390, B450, X570 boards as well and non-Asus or Asus too. And I say this based on over 4K+ hours of playtime.

Unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason in regards to The Division 2 issues and two years plus after release - the game continues to be unstable at times whether you run AMD or Intel CPUs. AMD or Nvidia GPUs, DX11 or DX12 - though DX12 seems more problematic.

• ElectricSquall
    Original poster 28 posts

@rage_therapy - Hello my friend, how are you?

Yeah, I know. I'm not pointing out that AMD CPU's are the source or only source, as you've said. However, it is quite interesting that after moving back to Intel, I had no problem anymore. With AMD, everyday I used to get a crash, nowadays, not a single one in 30 days. Since the X570 Motherboards and Ryzen CPU's were the only swapped I've decided to inform, so it may help the seek for a definitive solution. But in my case, thankfully, I'm free of the issue.

Suggested Topics