Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Nazaz_64
    Original poster 1 posts

Not sure if this is a well worn topic, nothing came up in a search. Not sure if others share this opinion, but I find hunting down SHD caches to be an incredibly lame, necessary but immersion breaking chore. Every time I hunt one that leads me to a building with the icon floating several stories up inside the building, with no apparent way to enter the building it pisses me off.

I personally don't like puzzle solving mini games cluttering up my shooter and find it really breaks immersion. At this point in a post apocalypse city pretty much every door and lock would be broken open. Every scavenger's standard kit would likely include a pry bar and bolt cutters, oh and I'm actually carry a shotgun useable for door breeching. As an electrician I can also assure you that shooting a junction box a floor above and 50m away is highly unlikely to open an electric gate, and there's nearly zero chance the grid would be up and running and the the mains would not have been shorted and tripped ages ago.

All these hunts do is motivate me to immediately google videos that show how to enter the building, praise people who make them, curse developers who clearly are in love with Tomb Raider style jumping puzzles and grit and bear my way through a necessary but ridiculous immersion breaking chore.

I get the issue of making them a challenge to obtain. But I would far prefer to having to fight my way to them, or perhaps having them hoarded by non-agent civvies who found them, know them to be valuable but can't open/use them. Perhaps they will trade them for food and water, or a side mission to rescue a friend for them. Anything would be better than the current system.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• dagrommit
    501 posts
    I personally don't like puzzle solving mini games cluttering up my shooter

Each to their own. Exploring the game world is one of the pleasures of this game for me. It helps differentiate it from mindless shooters where all you do is pew pew.

• Sircowdog1
    77 posts

@nazaz_64 You don't need every SHD cache.

There are plenty of side missions where you DO fight for them.

• TxDieselKid
    146 posts

Hunting and exploring for them was one of my favorite things to do pre end game.

• SevenNVD
    67 posts

@txdieselkid

Yeah same, I personally loved the puzzles and wish for more reasons to go exploring!

@nazaz_64 Like Sircowdog1 mentions, you don't need all of them to unlock everything, and there are other ways of collecting them. Especially most of the Washington D.C. ones are easy to find, the NYC caches can be a bit trickier.

Are there specific ones you have trouble with, or is it the system of having to search them that bothers you?

• tcarlisle2012
    72 posts

The amount of "puzzle" to put into a video game is a tough call. You want to draw in many different types of players when you produce a video game. The people that like their games mostly puzzles, like the Lara Croft games or Trine games. If you don't put any puzzles in, or very little, you lose those types. If you put too much puzzle in, well, then those that prefer more action will start threads like this one. LOL.

The thing is, with the modern era of youTube and how it affects games, in that the players that don't care about discovery or puzzle solving can look up on youtube, and get the action and instant gratification they are craving.

While that seems a bad thing, it kind of is a saving grace because producers can lean the games a little more heavily for puzzle solving and not lose so many pure action types while still reaching the puzzle types.

On the contrary, there is nothing on youTube to put MORE puzzle into a game.....

So guess which way they tend to err..... you guessed it: more puzzle.

• Sircowdog1
    77 posts

@tcarlisle2012 There's ways around the youtube problem. Non-static solutions, or puzzles that require good execution/timing, such as jump puzzles in many action MMOs.

• tcarlisle2012
    72 posts

@sircowdog1 Of course, but a unless a video game is being designed to be primarily a puzzle solver, the studio is always going to implement puzzles that can be "youTubed".

As an example, look at the obscure puzzles that were required to engage the hunters in this game. How many people completed that? Ok..... now how many completed it without looking it up. LOL.

That's a little too much puzzle for the vast majority that play this game.

IF this studio was really top notch, there would be things in the game that won't get discovered for years. There could be.... or maybe not. We can only speculate.

• Sircowdog1
    77 posts

@tcarlisle2012

There's a difference between something like the Hunter mask puzzles, which require some pretty damn obscure details to even notice they exist....

...and something more simple, like a puzzle where the order of buttons you have to push to unlock a door is randomized instead of the same sequence every single time.

The game can very easily have the latter if the devs aren't taking the easy way out, while still having secret-hunting like the former.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics