Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• dagrommit
    Original poster 395 posts

It seems Division 2 was not approved for sale in China until this month:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/07/20/2265923/0/en/UBISOFT-REPORTS-FIRST-QUARTER-2021-22-SALES.html

Approval in China: The Division 2

Also, funny to see Skull & Bones mentioned given today's Kotaku article (short version - it's an 8 year version of what happened with Anthem).

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Adrian-11
    441 posts

@dagrommit

These reports are always interesting, but you can't take anything at face value. You need to read between the lines and ignore what is being said about "performance" - for that just read the numbers, it's easy to spot the BS. Take it from a guy who's in the business of "crafting" such reports.
    As for "2021-22 started as planned and we delivered double-digit back-catalog growth in Q1 versus Q1 2019-20", what it really means is that there is nothing to brag about in 21-22, zero achievements. Oh yes, thank you for asking what happened to 20-21 when they talk about the growth, why compared to 19-20 and not the previous year? Well, it simply means that there is no growth in 21-22 compared to 20-21, it's actually a decline and a pretty good one. There is more in there, and this is just the press release, not the report or the call...
    The part with games approved in China, that I don't get... Does it mean they didn't sell any D2 copies in China until now? I doubt that.

• dagrommit

@aspoiu I made no reference to the financial numbers - just the bit about approval in China. This link provides more context: https://nikopartners.com/china-game-regulator-grants-publishing-licenses/

TL;DR - publishers need to obtain a license for any online games in China.

Oh yes, thank you for asking what happened to 20-21 when they talk about the growth, why compared to 19-20 and not the previous year?

Huh? They compare Q1 2021-22 against both Q1 2020-21 and Q1 2019-20 in the table at the top.

• Adrian-11
    441 posts

@dagrommit

Yes, they do... but check the words vs numbers.
    The words say growth over 19-20.... The table says -20% from 20-21... do you get it?
    It's picking and choosing. They say "growth", but it's a decline from the previous year. Big one, 20%.

• dagrommit

@aspoiu as I said, the point was to highlight that the game hasn't been available in China. The numbers and spin are irrelevant to that point, but let's look at the quote:

Frédérick Duguet, Chief Financial Officer, said "2021-22 started as planned and we delivered double-digit back-catalog growth in Q1 versus Q1 2019-20, a normalized comparison period,

Those last three words seem important - i.e. they're comparing like for like. While I doubt the equivalent 2020-21 period was 21% shorter 🙄 I'm sure any decent analyst would look at the numbers rather than the spin.

• Adrian-11
    441 posts

@dagrommit

The decline shows in both tables, it's not some numbers quirk. The rest is noise.
    But, as it is customary these days, you can choose the "truth" you want to believe.

• dagrommit

@aspoiu I find this comment funny given that you seem more interested in discussing the financial results than the premise of the thread - i.e. the game was only recently approved for sale in China.

As I said, the spin on their results is irrelevant to that fact. That their stock dropped 3% today suggests the market has already given its verdict.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

Any mention of how much of the original artistic vision and final implementation that we all received was censored and forced to be cut, if any? I'd imagine there were considerable censorship hurdles and hoops to go through. Why a businessman would do that isn't a question worth asking but why an artist would do it... well, that is worth asking.

?

• dagrommit

@richardoshea I get the impression this is more of a business requirement (i.e. foreign games need to have a local publisher) than anything to do with censorship. Especially as Div 2 makes no mention of Taiwan or China. Similarly, I can't imagine there is anything to censor on the Sackboy or Mario + Rabbids games.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@dagrommit I can't say that I could imagine a reason either... but... we aren't the NPC nor do we have the same culture/history as they do. I've seen them censor all sorts in all realms for unfathomable reasoning. I can definitely see parts of the TD2 coming under pressure though.

• dagrommit

@richardoshea the thing that struck me is that it took so long for all of the games approved last month. Mini Metro came out in 2018, Mario + Rabbids came out in 2017, Sackboy came out in 2020.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@dagrommit That sort of overeaching bureaucracy can be passive and glacial when it wants to just as easily as it can be swift and violent. I don't like not knowing this sort of thing as not knowing about this sort of thing can lead to this sort of thing becoming a thing right here. Money being what it isn't, I can easily imagine a decision maker just cutting something from the entire game to meet a particular nation's demands (it's not just China that get uppity) rather than spending money to deliver a true localisation phase of development. I have a tendancy to see all the possibilty of error before I consider what might be good about a thing, but I don't think I'm in error to be concerned about that sort of thing.

• Adrian-11
    441 posts

@dagrommit

We can talk about "Approved in China", but first tell me what that means. It does not say "approved for sale".

Does it mean Ubi was not able to sell any D2 copies in China until now? And that market is opening just now? That would have a huge impact on the game itself, the player base the financial performance. But, I doubt that's the case.
    Or does it mean Ubi complied with government snooping and blocking requirements for online games? And now have the ability to install an official, dedicated server for those players? Probably this is it. So, better connectivity for that player base, with supervision.

I lean towards the second. If it was the first, the stock would go up quite a bit; and as you observed, that's not the case.

Just to be clear, the censorship is not that much about the game itself, but about what players have the ability to post or communicate in the game.

• Adrian-11
    441 posts

@dagrommit

Yeah, okay, so? We still don't know what this means in practicality.

What I can tell you for sure is that we had players from China on day 1.
    Yes, there were some connectivity challenges and lag because there wasn't a dedicated server and the Great Firewall, but they were able to buy the game.
    Hell, even the Heartland leak came from China, and am pretty sure that one is not approved in China 😀

Anyway, I think we beat this to death, so I'll stop here.

• dagrommit

@aspoiu I guess you didn't bother reading it. From the article:

Although online games, which we defined to include both PC online games and mobile games, have dominated China’s game market, according to the laws of China, foreign companies are not permitted to directly publish or operate online games within the country.

And yes, VPN's exist and are effective at fooling IP geolocation systems. In addition, plenty of ethnically-Chinese people don't live in mainland China. Point being, the existence of a law doesn't stop people from breaking it.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics