Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 633 posts

I’ve been playing on Challenging for a couple of sessions now. With a couple optimizations to my build, the sponge is tolerable. I found adding the Coyote Mask to my ND build (which is not yet god rolled) to be a substantial improvement in TTK.

I would still say I’m dismantling 99.9% of loot. The drops are useless for someone in the 80th percentile of optimizing their build. Even playing for targeted loot is disappointing. Nothing that drops is better than what I have after recalibration one attribute to max. But I’m just going to ignore loot and play for the shooting, missions, and exploring.

Although last night I tried taking the demon hunter mask and got really annoyed. On one attempt I put a full 16 rounds from the Scorpio at close range into that [censored]er’s head and he still put me down (and I switch out my Glass Cannon for Zero Fs for these types of tasks). I’m going to have to try Hard difficulty. You guys might think I just need to get good, but this kind of sponge is just complete bullish!t and really turns me off of this game. It’s so unbelievably unrealistic my mind doesn’t have the capacity to suspend disbelief to that extent. 🙂

• Oatiecrumble
    299 posts

@Virtual-Chris when encountering hunters you can drop down to normal mode if it's just for the masks, if you want to do it on a harder mode use the scorpio and shock trap or riot foam.

Tbh it's just easier to drop down to the lowest difficulty for the masks.

• Virtual-Chris
    @Virtual-Chris when encountering hunters you can drop down to normal mode if it's just for the masks, if you want to do it on a harder mode use the scorpio and shock trap or riot foam.

Tbh it's just easier to drop down to the lowest difficulty for the masks.

Yeah, I'm going to give it another go after work on the lowest difficulty... Let's hope I'm not that pathetic! 😄

• Rodnaz
    69 posts

@virtual-chris I play on Challenging with one, sometimes 2 directives & have for some time. I have played some missions on heroic but similar to you its unreal to pump a mag or two at point blank range. Yesterday at a lvl 4 CP, mind you it started at lvl 3 it was definitely unreal. I was beside myself, it was total BS! I made a mistake & this game made an example of me.

Anyway I started on hard & it seemed to be the most realistic. I'm about 640SHD & for the most part challenging is my best option. The sponges are out there but overall its decent for loot, plus if I get wiped its not a total restart. Recently I read a post from tcarlisle2012. I can't find the original link but he explains being aggressive. Likewise I started investigating more direct & aggressive routes. Sometimes my route is not always up the middle but it develops very quick. I've found different ways to enter, duck, regroup & attack. Mission length tends to wear on me plus it brings on far to many unknown aspects. I have shortened mission time a lot. The drops are not the greatest but over time its definitely better than hard.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

Is there any good and brief guide re. hunters? Interested mostly on how to find / trigger them. Thanks
    I haven't actively chased them, I have not clue what to do, even tho apparently I killed one and I didn't even know.

• Rodnaz
    69 posts

@aspoiu I could use some info as well. I need to kill two in the summit for a mask or holster or something. I'm not a fan of that place. Last time I think used a shock trap. Now I have a full rolled Scorpio. Last time I think it was a rifle.
    Sorry VC did not intend to side track.

• dagrommit
    648 posts

@aspoiu not exactly brief, mainly because some of the hunters are really tedious to go after:

@Rodnaz If you just need a hunter for the Ridgeways Pride project, the manhunt version of Coney Island amusement park is the easiest way

• tcarlisle2012
    116 posts

@virtual-chris IN all honesty, having to drop the level to "normal" on the hunters is not a reflection of your playing ability, but rather it underscores how cheap the game AI is in this regard.

Hunters are not difficult because they are good and the AI is remarkable. Its because they are buffed and we are nerfed -- and not just from a skills perspective.

• LateNiteDelight
    456 posts

I solo'd all the original Hunter's, and what worked best for me was a DTA Crit build with a Good Times. With a full DPS build, you should be able to down a Hunter in less than one pouch. Just make sure you reposition nearly everytime they take cover and try to interrupt their heal. If you have a Pestilence, that works very well. Scorpio is the new hotness, for obvious reasons.

If you're willing to get close, a Shotgun gives you extra DtA. Though I suggest using Foam Grenades + Shock Trap if getting close [or PfE, since you can survive an Axe blow]. Throw the Shock Trap just out of range to one side, then throw the Foam Nade to the other side so it's edge is on the Hunter - they then can either dodge into the traps or dodge into the foam 👹

• Rodnaz
    69 posts

@dagrommit I think I need two but that might work. I quit on floor 99 so not sure if there is more to it than a Ridgeways. Its an option, thanks.

• Virtual-Chris

@tcarlisle2012

Haha… thanks. Glad I’m not the only ones that thinks they are crazy. 🙂

• Virtual-Chris

Ps… Just took the demon mask on Hard. Much easier than Challenging. Wow!

• Virtual-Chris

BTW, My Goto weapon for sponge bosses is the Scorpio. A couple of hits and they are motionless at your mercy. Just mag dump them to a quick death and they are even inactive long enough for a reload if necessary. It’s a total cheese method. But screw it… they deserve to be cheesed.

• Oatiecrumble
    299 posts

@Virtual-Chris If it gets it done then thats all that counts.....if you want the real chedder cheese try that skill build i mentioned on your LMG thread with Rogues.....well funny.

• Virtual-Chris

Interestingly, I got a god-rolled Tactical Super 90 (my fav shotty)… on Normal difficulty. I lowered difficulty to tackle the four hunters at the Christmas Tree and while dealing with a random patrol waiting for nightfall, an enemy dropped this thing.

I guess higher difficulties offer better minimums, but you can still get god-rolled gear on lower difficulties.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@virtual-chris

RNG... and yes, higher difficulties only increase the minimum average rolls.
    Field proficiency caches are not great either, no matter the difficulty.
    I find you get better stuff as rewards for completing projects, activities, etc.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

Speaking of hunters...
    I did the Dusk bounty last nigh, and one hunter appeared before Dusk. Got him cornered and almost finished when he dropped something like a smoke grenade, and puff! he disappeared in the thin air. Tried the 2nd time, for the exact same effect.
    Did anyone get that hunter, or the game is just trolling us?

• Oatiecrumble
    299 posts

@Aspoiu i do believe they sometimes turn up in the game for show, and "Puff" his gone.

• Draevik
    3 posts

It is funny, because the jump for me felt the same. But now after having a decent build Challenging feels like story mode. Point being it will get MUCH easier and Challenging will be pretty easy for you.

But the jump from heroic is a BIG jump like 2x health/armor and damage, Legendary is even worse.

I can manage Heroic well enough, but Legendary is just crazy, I can do it but it takes forever. Those you either seem to have to run PFE to withstand the massive damage they do, or have crazy DPS to melt them.

Suggested Topics