ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 798 posts

Do you think stealth could play a role in future Division games?

For example, using a suppressed weapon to stealthily eliminate enemies at a Control Point (until someone witnessed a kill or found a body). Or stealthily dropping a few enemies at any location before things go loud?

Imagine you’ve got a few enemies standing around a radio broadcast and suddenly one of them drops from a sniper round… the rest of them run for cover but aren’t sure where the shooter is. 🙂

It could also be cool if you clear a room stealthily (without the enemies getting a shot off) and that means there’s no need to deal with subsequent waves of enemy reinforcements spawning in. In most cases, this would probably only be possible with a full coop team all using suppressed weapons.

I think it would require that unalerted enemies without helmets go down with one head shot.

Thoughts?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• xcel30
    640 posts

Who knows.... spoiler

• Adrian-11
    862 posts

@virtual-chris

Sounds like Breakpoint or Wildlands 😁
    I understand the point re. suppressed weapons, and it would be nice. Not sure how much utility would have, as even in CPs the NPCs are pretty packed together not to notice someone went down very fast. Perhaps you can get two shots, maybe three if you are extremely lucky. In most scenarios, NPCs move in groups.
    What I would change is that if you use a suppressed weapon from cover, from distance, the NPCs should not know instantly your location and charge you immediately. They should look for cover first, then try to find you.
    Anyway, I don't think any of this will translate into future updates or new entries. The Division was from the beginning a fast action game, which fits the looter shooter sub-genre.
    UBI tried to go the other way, and put some looting mechanic in a tactical shooter (Breakpoint) and we all know how well that went.
    I think the two should stay separate and improve their own formula, and would borrow just quality of life ideas in between, not the big concepts that make them different.

• Virtual-Chris

@adrian-11

Agreed... we don't need the GR and Division games merging concepts. But there are some things each game does well that might benefit the other without eroding the type of game it is. There's a lot that GR could borrow from the Division that would be good... more urban conflict, more factions, better enemy AI, more diverse enemies, a more dynamic world, etc... without getting into making GR a looter shooter. And The Division might benefit from less sponge and some added stealth tactics. As it is, you have stealth until the first shot is fired... then they know where you are. I guess adding additional stealth really boils down to how aware enemies are of the shooter's location... and how does that impact game play and pace?

• Adrian-11
    862 posts

@virtual-chris

If only UBI would listen sometimes...
    Hey, look at the bright side: XDefiant has everything from everything 💩 😁

• xcel30
    640 posts

In a more normal serious answer, better aggro mechanics should do that, for me it could be done making shields draw more aggro and have the reverse with few weapons or even gear sets, i think mantis is what i would associate with "stealth" in this game since we deal with builds and numbers, not one shot headshot ground rules like other tom clancy games.

I mean an alternative assassin gear set or even specialization that gives players more ways to use decoy skills or buffs hitting unaware enemies such as guaranted crits on unaware enemies, losing aggro when in cover without moving and so on is what i could see as "stealth" for division. Otherwise how would most levels or boss fights even work? would people have stealth builds and then be forced to fight bosses with builds that are not made for that? what about heavies that are just super big heavy armor dudes and so on?

• Virtual-Chris

@xcel30

Good point.. Gear sets and talents that enable stealth (or limit agro) might make more sense in The Division. For example, you could have an MMR or gear talent, specialization skill, or something that stealthily kills or makes it difficult to immediately pin-point the shooter. I actually wish that was something the Sharpshooter could do.

As it stands, sniping is not really viable solo in this game, despite having some great sniper rifles.

But it would also be cool in coop to have a well coordinated team equipped with suppressors quietly assault a group of enemies in an elite territory control and kill all of them before they get a shot off - eliminating the need to fight a few waves of reinforcements.

It could add a new tactic to the game.

• xJdKxZomBiE
    9 posts

I think there needs to be a fine line of solidarity between ghost recon and division games for stealth.

GR has a pretty robust stealth system, division does not. GR AI is pretty damn stupid, divisions ai is a lot better.

Matter of fact, I've been playing GR BP with the wife lately, and even she commented on how much nicer it is to be able to drop some guys suppressed and nobody know it, or pop a guy and if he didn't die, he doesn't KNOW EXACTLY where you are, and hive mind inform the others like the [censored] Borg.

I'd like to see more alternative stealth features for Division honestly. The ability to cut power in rooms, or buildings, to make everything dark. Offer us NVG to mediate the darkness. Luring enemies would be nice, as most division enemies are all paranoid af currently and have a serious shoot first second and third before even thinking about asking questions.

Playing both games, Division has the better feel to gunplay, controls are tighter, cover mechanics are significantly better, movement is nicer, but GR has a lot of things that are a bonus to it as well. More open space, longer engagement ranges, better weapon damage (other than out of combat weapons kill in 1 hit aside from a few pistols, and in combat it can take 10+ sometimes)

I want a better weapon stealth system overall, but not something too Ghost Recon-ish.

• Peter8uk
    103 posts

We need another splinter cell like the first 3 games, not the ones after it.

If anyone can remember 2 player coop was awesome in Chaos Theory. Very tense with coordinated room entry with a team mate and one mistake then complete reset.

Funniest things can happen back then where someone could accidently select "Bash Door" instead of silent open

• LateNiteDelight
    973 posts
    @adrian-11

Agreed... we don't need the GR and Division games merging concepts. But there are some things each game does well that might benefit the other without eroding the type of game it is. There's a lot that GR could borrow from the Division that would be good... more urban conflict, more factions, better enemy AI, more diverse enemies, a more dynamic world, etc... without getting into making GR a looter shooter. And The Division might benefit from less sponge and some added stealth tactics. As it is, you have stealth until the first shot is fired... then they know where you are. I guess adding additional stealth really boils down to how aware enemies are of the shooter's location... and how does that impact game play and pace?

To each their own, but part of me would love a merge.. I think

Imagine both teams given a bigger budget, collaborating on a shared map. Breakpoint team handles "Immersive Mode", Massive handles "Looter Mode".

Setting: Post-$Flu Mexico City.
    The City is carved up by three rival Cartels. Outside the city is countryside that leads to a Stronghold for each Cartel. Your job is to beat back the Cartels to their Stronghold, while rescuing VIPs or eliminating HVTs throughout the map [a Summit was being held in Mexico City, when the $Flu struck, dispersing multiple heads of State throughout the city] and helping the locals regroup. Once you clear out all three Cartels, a new Black Tusk supported Cartel group "Invades". Other random outside groups [Hunter's, Rogue Agents] also seek to try grabbing VIPs or resources from time to time.

There are missions like TD2 . Control Points are more like Camps/Bases in Breakpoint [but enemy composition and pathing are randomized, so each attempt is different]. Blueprints follow the Ghost Recon model [set location, better Blueprints are in harder areas]. There are roving patrols that call in backup more like TD2. There are hit squads based on your heat level in various zones - mixing up where and when [day/night, sleep cycles] and going quieter keeps that lower.

For Immersive Mode: Gun damage is determined by Caliber, Ammo Type [introduce Subsonic Ammo], and Barrel Length - velocity is a thing. Suppressors don't make anything quieter [see subsonic ammo], but makes search quadrant larger [say 45­­ degrees instead of 25, or something], while reducing Aggro. Speed/noise is determined by the weight of the items you are carrying [you can choose how much ammo, grenades, armor kits, etc you carry - making your own tradeoffs on weight]. Your outfit plays a role in how far away or what kind of background enemies can spot you in.

For Looter Mode: TD2, with minor tweaks for freshness. Introduce new Threat Mechanic [and attachments or gear to alter that].

Thanks to the "Ghost Experience" - we know Snowdrop can handle all kinds of On/Off mechanics - as well as a Loot Mode + Immersive Mode.

• RaciaIAdhesive-
    207 posts

Love me some stealth, but The Division isn't the game for that. If the game took a more realistic stance similar to Ghost Recon Wildlands/Breakpoint, sure, but the direction the franchise took, stealth wouldn't mix well at all.

• tcarlisle2012
    170 posts

My 2 cents..... I would like to see some stealth in this game, but I don't think it would work well to make stealth a gameplay option. If I want stealth there are so many other games I can play that are centered around stealth.

That said, there are some elements of stealth lightly peppered over this game. One that comes to mind, is Black Tusk invaded Space Administration's final battle. Where you have to disable the four station within a very short timeframe. You can stealth that portion of the battle, and sneak around the room in a counter clockwise manner, and get 3 out of 4 disarmed before the enemy even knows you are there.

I would like to see more of that. Also, in my view, it might seem like DZ/PvP might be a good place to add some stealth. Make you less visible to rogues, etc. and yes suppressed versions of some weapons.

• AustinTheWitch
    5 posts

I wouldn't be opposed to it being expanded on a bit but I did enjoy the rpg mechanics of the first game where suppressors made you gain less aggro/emity and loud vent brakes increased aggro/emity. For me that offered a very unique way of handling rpg inside a shooter. I'd much prefer returning to that system.

• badkarmacreepin
    32 posts

@tcarlisle2012 In PVP/DZ, how about when you're using a suppressor, your name plate remains hidden and no tracers...unless you get shot, then your name plate lights up as it does normally when you aim in someone's general direction. Would be nice to slink around the DZ without other players knowing exactly where you are, if you're playing stealth mode. For PVE, legit less aggro in a wider radius of you.

On that point, change/delete each Specializations' perk of 50% pulse resistance to zero, except on one of them. Such as Sharpshooter. And that one would be 100%. Re-work the others to something more beneficial and appropriate.

• dagrommit
    894 posts
    Blueprints follow the Ghost Recon model [set location, better Blueprints are in harder areas

That idea I like.

Thanks to the "Ghost Experience" - we know Snowdrop can handle all kinds of On/Off mechanics - as well as a Loot Mode + Immersive Mode.

I don't believe Breakpoint uses Snowdrop

Not particularly bothered by the absence of stealth mechanics in a Division game. Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell (yeah, I wish) have that covered in the Clancy games. Setting a GR game in an urban environment would be welcome though.

Suggested Topics