ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

My saved game profile that had my longest play, is missing, not just the most recent save but the whole profile, I have not deleted anything and I played it on Sunday and now cant find it. any ideas of what happened and if it can be recovered, this is the second time something like this has happened.

looking in the Documents I see my Anno 1800 and Anno 1800 preview, the profile I used for the preview is there still (which is the profile missing) but the not in the Anno 1800 folder, that profile it gone, can you only have 5 saved profiles?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Ray
    Ubisoft Support Staff 41 posts

Heya, @Mauddib99 ! I'm sorry to hear about this complication you have noticed with your save file. If your file is recoverable, you should be able to do so by following these steps. You also may want to verify your game files to see if this helps. If you are still missing this file, please let me know so that I may assist you further. 😊

Official Response
  • Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@ubi-raymaybe I am using the wrong term, when you start a new game you pick a portrait, logo, and player name, this player name from what I can see is your profile for that game and depending on your setting you get auto saves every few minutes, plus any other saves you do, case in point I save and exit every time I am done playing, What I am missing is the whole profile that I have been playing for the past few weeks, not just the most recent save, this profile was named Ray and it is not there, I have looked in the C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Anno 1800\accounts\342be441-e196-423b-be77-d0126edfd6ce and the profile folder is not there, I have been told on a chat that there is no way to recover it.

• Great_Jack
    1 posts

Hi,

as I understand it, you want to play with the profile from a former match for a new one?

I guess that is not possible. You create a new profile for every match. You will always start a Game at level 1, which is good because otherwise you would start with a whole lot of influence from a different match.

• Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@great_jack no that not what I am trying to do, my profile that I had been playing is gone, delete, and not by me,

• Ubi-Viral
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2352 posts

@mauddib99 Hey!

Sorry to hear that you are unable to locate the save profile. Do you have cloud saves enabled at all?

Official Response
  • Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@ubi-viral Yes cloud save is enabled

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts

Hey @mauddib99, thanks for your response there and I am sorry to hear about what happened, as I fully appreciate how frustrating it must be after spending such a long time playing this.

If you do have cloud saves enabled, you can see whether it would be possible for you to recover it by following steps outlined in the following article.

Should this not be possible, please take into account the following:

1. Make sure you do not set your folder as Read-Only
    2. Make sure you save your files locally rather than OneDrive, as an example
    3. If at any point you've experienced crash whilst playing the game, it is likely that your save file will become corrupted. In such instances, it won't appear in the loading screen

The very odd thing about this is that the folder itself is completely gone and that is not something that ever happens, however just as suggested through live-chat, I am afraid we have limited possibilities when it comes to recovering these, therefore our apologies for not being able to assist you much in such instance.

If you happen to have any further queries, let us know and we will get back to you accordingly.

Official Response
  • Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@ubi-karl Thanks for you info I am making sure that I do a cloud save at least weekly of my new profile.

• Ubi-WheelyDuck
    Ubisoft Support Staff 871 posts

Hey there,

Thank you for your update, this is great to hear!

If ever we can help in the future just let us know.

Many thanks

Official Response
  • Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@ubi-wheelyduck So I have been doing a weekly could save to make sure that I don't have the same issue as before, today I was playing and a friend started playing and we wanted to do a coop/multiplayer. So I saved and exited to the title screen, I then went to the save games for that profile and clicked the last save and cloud saved it, played multiplayer for a bit, and then we were done, I wanted to go back to the other profile and it is gone, I do see a saved file for the game today around the time I switched but that is in the files not in the game, the whole profile that I was playing is gone.

• Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@ubi-wheelyduck maybe there was some miss understand the profile never came back I started doing cloud save with my new start, and now that profile is gone, but I do see the save file in the savegames folder but I can't get it to load cause the profile that it was under is gone

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2516 posts

Thanks for getting back to us @mauddib99 , sorry to hear the issue has cropped up again.

Just to check, do you often run the game as an admin?

Just to ensure it has full write / read permissions which may otherwise be preventing it from creating additional profile saves rather than erasing the previous one each time.

Official Response
  • Mauddib99
    Original poster 11 posts

@ubi-theberry ok, I will do that setting, however, is there a way to recover a profile, I still have the save but not the profile, and I think that is what it did cause I did a save and started doing a multiplayer and we had to restart so there were two new profile and the one I had been playing was gone but the older ones were still there.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2516 posts

Hey @mauddib99 ,

You may be able to use our guide to recovering lost saves on PC to restore your previous profiles so please give them a shot and let us know how you get on!

Beyond this however, we don't have access to player's saves so we're limited in how far we can assist in these scenarios.

Please keep us in the loop with how these steps go though, thank you!

Official Response
  • tjarosik
    2 posts

Hi, so I had 2 profiles, on "normal" and on "expert" levels. Only an "expert" level profile was available today. However, what I noticed it that save games were merged from both profiles under the "expert" one. You can check if your save games are actually from the same profiles (it's hard to say with autosave, but if you have any custom save games you can confirm that). I also duplicated my profile on disk just in case.

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2328 posts

Hello tjarosik thank you for sharing your insight into this.

When you say your profiles were merged under one, this would be correct if say, you use one Ubisoft username to play the game, but create 2 separate custom campaigns. They should all be saved to this folder >
    %userprofile%\Documents\Anno 1800\accounts\ [Long string of numbers]

Now that you were able to figure out where your other 'normal' custom games were saved, were you able to load them up by right-clicking on them and selecting to open with the Anno .exe game file?

If you were to right-click on these normal difficulty save files, did they have admin privileges set-up in their Properties menu, under the security tab?

Official Response
  • tjarosik
    2 posts

@ubi-milky These saved games show up under the "expert" profile, and I'm able to load them from the Anno menu as usual. They are just hard to find because the profile contains mix of "expert" and "normal" save games.

And yes, I used the same login to create 2 separate campaigns. I first played under "normal", and recently started a new one under "expert". And these save games have "system", "tjarosik" and "admin" group privileges (full permissions). I guess it was just very not-intuitive to me to have save games for 2 different campaigns under the same entry (profile) in "load game". Other than that, great game!!! Congrats!

• Ubi-WheelyDuck
    Ubisoft Support Staff 871 posts

Hey @tjarosik,

Thank you for your update and kind words!

Thank you for sharing extra detail as to the steps you followed.

Any further trouble just let us know as we are happy to help.

Official Response
  • Ovidiuds
    1 posts

Same exact issue has happened to me. Saved a SP game to play with a friend, created a MP game, when I switched back to SP the whole profile was gone, all the saves. Your game deletes profiles! If a save/profile is corrupted it should be left there and maybe marked as corrupted, never deleted.
    Unrelated: As it happens I am a senior dev, I looked at your logs, the sheer number of errors is staggering honestly, it baffles me that the game starts.

Suggested Topics