Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• the_Kettle
    148 posts
    Also, one other question… against Chungas, I’ve always found targeting their backpack, or the belt feed temporarily stops them and then targeting their lightly armoured butt, or crotch will put an end to them quickly with full auto weapons. The sniper doesn’t seem to do anything… it’s almost completely ineffective for several rounds against Chungas… what am I likely doing wrong?

Easiest way depends on HH stacks - if you're solo, 1 stack is usually enough to knock their helmet off, then it's one or two most shots to kill them. If there's noone around to build HH stacks from, I usually switch to my AR and aim for the head, try to knock the helmet off then go back to the mantis to finish off. If you're close enough and have at least one HH stack, you can one-shot black tusk heavies (they have an unarmored bit on the edge of their backpack, as well as their unarmored butt) but it's tricky to hit consistently.

I've just been making some videos of sniper gameplay while running the daily project, to demonstrate how I play sniper (solo CP, solo mission, group mission). Others are still being edited & uploaded, but the first one is here (nice easy CP with long sightlines, the more challenging close-quarters gameplay is in the mission videos):

• Kanaima
    13 posts
    @latenitedelight

I have access to Technician and a Momento but I’m not sure that’s the solution. I can look at adding a skill tier some other way.

Is there anything I can do to make the Dark Winter more effective? It’s maxed out CHC and 120 CHD with 3 mods for accuracy. Not sure what else I can do to make that hit a bit harder.

Also, one other question… against Chungas, I’ve always found targeting their backpack, or the belt feed temporarily stops them and then targeting their lightly armoured butt, or crotch will put an end to them quickly with full auto weapons. The sniper doesn’t seem to do anything… it’s almost completely ineffective for several rounds against Chungas… what am I likely doing wrong?

If you're using Headhunter then you're just going to have to use up your buff to put some damage into their helmet. If you're not using Headhunter then warhounds, tanks, UGVs, Marauders and anyone with a helmet is going to give you grief when sniping, it's just the way it is.

If you can break a Blacktusk tank's backpack and get behind them, you can shoot through it to bypass their armor. Alternatively, there's a bug with Blacktusk and True Son tanks where if you shoot perfectly between their body and their weakspot you'll just magically bypass their armor, although without Headhunter you'd have to pretty damn good to nail the shot back to back consistently enough to be worth doing.

• LateNiteDelight
    531 posts

@virtual-chris Technician & Memento are the best way to add +skill without diminishing your WD. Memento also happens to be stronger than Vigilance if you've got 6 WD Cores. You're only losing a small amount of HS with Technician, while gaining damage against dogs - unless you utilize the Tac-50 frequently. I guess it depends how much you care about the Mantis/Decoy synergy [would also boost your drones].

You aren't doing anything wrong with Chunga. As noted, you either have to double up on the head or try to hit a sliver on their back - it's why I go AR secondary, instead of SMG. For Dark Winter, you need to kill a Red to trigger the talent, then it should hit harder on the Elites.

If you're going to go with the drone, consider the Test Subject with it's pIn-Sync [or another AR with In-Sync] - the DtH helps a lot on Chunga/Dogs.

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 756 posts

Thanks guys. I’ll dig into all this and check it out.

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 756 posts

@the_kettle

Great video. Love a sniper that wears a fedora. LOL. And that drone is super handy. I’m trying to avoid magical healing as much as possible but this game doesn’t make it easy 🙂

But my take-away from your video is to just keep throwing the decoy out there. I’ve not been doing that consistently.

This build being heavily dependent on skills is new for me. My previous builds all use skills as a “get-out-of-sh!t” card. 🙂

• the_Kettle
    148 posts

@virtual-chris
    Yeah, the decoy and drone are maybe not as necessary in that particular situation because enemies are so far away I'm not that much at risk from incoming fire (and once you've got HH stacks up, losing the extra headshot damage because an enemy is targeting you doesn't matter as you'll still be getting one-shot kills most of the time). I run the drone because often I use the no-regen directive and need that to keep me topped up between battles.

Anyway, for a closer, trickier sniping video, here's my attempt at solo tombs, heroic with 4 directives (technically two attempts, stitched just before I switch to turret because the first time the drones at that point overwhelmed me). It ends hilariously badly, but I feel there's enough decent sniping along the way that I'm not too ashamed:

• the_Kettle
    148 posts

Finally, here's the group tombs video. Running sniper in a group is quite a different experience - more enemies with more health, but the incoming fire from allies makes them behave much more erratically, so it's more dependent on quickscoping but also more forgiving as enemies are less likely to target you (such as that point in the final run-up to the Parnell arena where a rusher backs right past my cover and completely ignores me - that could have gone a lot worse!) I was lucky to get a pretty strong group here, including a competent healer, so it felt like a nice easy run.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@virtual-chris Works with everything, it's what it's for really; to aid as a guide reticle before you ADS and use the main sight reticle for fine grain adjustments. There are some real-world weapon systems that utilise a similar sighting system, but not the average sniper rifle. Like you say, sniping for realz and this are not comparable.

Suggested Topics