Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sock_Monkey
    Original poster 246 posts

So I was standing just outside a checkpoint looking at the map, deciding what landmark to hit first. A player walks out of same checkpoint, looks at me, drops a stinger hive and runs around the corner, out of reach of the auto-turrets, then turns rogue. Admittedly I wasn't expecting any of this so was totally taken down by his hive.

I re-spawned, stepped out again and typed in the DZ chat "that was the lamest attack I've seen tonight!"

He replied "I had to get my revenge for when you killed me last week."

I was rather taken aback; I mean who even remembers stuff like that? Win or lose, 30 seconds later it's over and forgotten for me - it's just a stupid video game after all. This guy (kid?) had been clearly nursing a grudge toward me for days, and I honestly couldn't say I even remembered killing him.

I think these are the kinds of sad-sack cases that get a lot of anger and venting on these forums. I suspect the kids were bullied a lot in school and maybe this is their "release"? Problem is, nursing a grudge over a silly video game loss really speaks ill of said person's state.

Any way, I thought it was actually funny. I ended by telling him "Here's a suggestion: get a life and you won't worry or care about me killing you in a video game."

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• WrecK3rr
    20 posts

@sock_monkey Wow. This makes me remember the time back in 2010 when a Counter Strike player stabbed a man because he took him out in the game. Yep! True Story.

Here's the link: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/video-gamer-hunts-stabs-man-killed-online-counter-strike-character-article-1.447608

• Sock_Monkey

@wreck3rr Wow. The link doesn't work, but I get your drift.

Crazy some of the losers in there.

• N3mB0t
    258 posts

with the growing trend where now every kid dreams of being a youtuber , streamer and pro player , kids are lead to be that stupid and take this kind of stuff too seriously , no one can ever win them , shame them or outplay them , that gets in the way of their brilliant future career and they never really learn how to deal with those feelings.

maily because there is no one to teach or guide them but there is a whole industry of money sucking execs that put the words GAMING, RGB , BEST , WIN and so on , on their otherwise completly normal products creating the fake feeling that all you need to be the best and have the life you dream of is to use their WINNING , FAST, BLAZING , COLOURFUL product .

so after their DAD has bought them all that fancy PRO/RGB/inserproplayername stuff along with their GAMING CHAIR ,SOCKS, BOTTLE, WHATEVER where now they are surely unbeatable , beating them creates a nasty grudge , its the same as sitting them in a chair and making them hear you explaning them what life really is and that being a videogames rock star most probably not gonna happen , or even that they actualy suck at games and there is no way around that.

rage is ensured.

• IgotNerfed
    18 posts

@sock_monkey The worrying thing is this mentality he has is almost certain to manifest in real life.

I did train in martial arts for years mostly MMA from 98-2010 until knee injuries done me in. But it has made me a very competitive person and i feel like i have to win or at least better myself in everything. I don't go kicking people in the head if they beat me or score better than i do but it just makes me angry at myself and then i do the most annoying thing and go back through it all in my head and mentally correct my mistakes for the next time. But in video games this mentality doesn't apply to me and if someone beats me or kills me in a video game i don't care. But because martial arts is all about discipline or it was until UFC made it a full on contact sport mainstream for everybody I can control my mentality and anger very easily. Some people can't and that's where the worry lies. You don't need to have studied Martial Arts to control your anger, revenge or resentment... you need someone to teach you how to control it and some people don't have that.

• Sock_Monkey

@igotnerfed Interesting, as I have a similar background, though (being older), my timeline was quite different. I also studied MA and even became a 3rd degree black belt in Kenpo. I competed at the national level from my teens through my late 20s (late `70s to late `80s). In my case it was more time - or rather lack of it - that put an end to my competitive years as well as continuing pursual of the arts. I still practice, though I doubt I'd pass an equivalency test for my rank these days. 🙂

At any rate, I can tell you that bad attitude and sore losers exist everywhere and always have. One competitive event I remember the guy was a real full-of-bluster BSer. You know the kind, that right before the fight he's all "I never lose!" and "You're going down!" plus a lot more that I can't repeat here. Anyway, 1-2-3 I put him down and won 3-0 in about 17 seconds. After I was called the winner and turned to walk off the mat I hear the rapid patter of bare running feet on a mat and *bang* all I saw was stars. The guy ran up from behind and dropped an elbow on my head, after the match was over and I wasn't paying attention.

He was banned from the sport forever, and I think even fined as there was no shortage of witnesses. This was maybe mid-1980s.

So obviously the consequences and physicality are quite different, but the same "my ego is based on only winning" type of personality is the root cause of these issues.

• IgotNerfed
    18 posts

@sock_monkey I was lucky enough to train with some very very good people. Mark 'The Wizard' Weir, Matt Ewin and Leon Roberts. But I did a bit of Karate before MMA but I didn't like the rigid straight line mechanics and I started to train in MMA before it really took off, I remember the early Cage Rage full contact tournaments exclusive to MMA clubs. There was no general public or anyone else invited and eventually it got so big that anyone and everyone was allowed in to watch or to compete. That for me is when it went downhill pretty fast. In the early days because it was exclusive to MMA clubs and not many of us drank alcohol at that time it wasn't bad because you had no idiots at the events and suddenly they allowed people to drink and then it got silly. You had the local pish head offering MMA trained fighters into the street when he could barely stand up himself. But nothing stays good forever, unfortunately. Much like my grammar.

• HonestlyOK1986
    70 posts

Think it's more because there's so few people that actual enter the dz now that the player base is so small you can remember names quite easily. You post a fair bit on the forums too, people will kill just to prompt a post which they'll deem "angry, sore loser" and drop in some ridiculous youtube comments like "ezzzz 1v1" or "on the floor bot" etc etc.

It is what it is. I love a good wind up in the dz, people go mental for it. Surprising how many think it's actually real. Build a few grudges in the tiny pvp player base and you can work your way up on the leaderboards quite quickly.

• qapnugget
    61 posts

Truly toxic players out there.

Even in PvE. Seriously I got kicked from a group because my 1x China, 2x Grupo explosive build was wiping out NPCs at their spawn doors.

This reminds me of the game Killing Floor 2 I would be kicked for running Demolition class for taking out most mobs.

It is as if players think PvE is competitive like they need to have highest kill or damage dealt.

Reminds me of Outriders I read once somewhere players would kick a certain class because they only wanted DPS players.

So I just remind myself and others of one thing. Toxic players are so because of anonymity. But they're just cowards face to face real life and would not behave same way.

• RaciaIAdhesive-
    49 posts

Okay. First of all, it's not a stupid video game. It's an experience.

• Sock_Monkey

@raciaiadhesive "Experience"? I don't recall ever leaving the comfort of my office chair - cup of coffee or beer in hand (depending on time of day) - while playing Div.

Hiking across Iceland? That was an experience. Visiting Antarctica. That was an experience. Transplanting to live and work in Europe for three years. An experience. The first time I spent a month in Japan. That too was an experience. And so on...

Playing the Division (1 or 2)? Just a stupid video game. 🙂

• RaciaIAdhesive-
    49 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • RaciaIAdhesive-
    49 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • RaciaIAdhesive-
    49 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • RaciaIAdhesive-
    49 posts

@sock_monkey That's great for you. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

• Sock_Monkey

@raciaiadhesive Just pointing out the difference between a silly passtime - that I enjoy too - but is good for little more than killing a few minutes here and there, with things that would genuinely be called an "experience," or worthwhile, or enriching your life.

• ModalThread611
    90 posts

@sock_monkey You know some people just remember names. For some odd reason I can recall names I have seen in the DZ since 2016. I don't do it on purpose. My brain just holds that information like a library of DZ names and who to go after. I don't even try. It just clicks when I see them.

• Sock_Monkey

@modalthread611 Yeah, but it was the whole "getting revenge for killing me last week" thing that really set it apart.

• matta3310
    6 posts

@wreck3rr I don't see how there is any comparison for a real life stabbing and a player who got revenge in a pvp area of the game, it's not hard to recognize a name if even half their brain wasn't fried . It's not like he broke any rules and he didn't even say anything until the guy cried about it. People are overdramatic and self-righteous. It's a game and he wasn't cheating yet guy wants to cry in the forums, we all know who the class tattletale was now. Whether the kill was lame or not it wasn't cheating so to even say he's lame is more toxic than the kill.

• ModalThread611
    90 posts

@sock_monkey It's a game and people want payback. Things you cannot do in real life. You should know that people will live out things you cannot do for real. There is 100% some satisfaction in getting some payback.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics