Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 645 posts

I have nearly 300 hours logged now and only a few exotic gear items. Most were obtained from exotic crates from season rewards… and most of those were duplicates. In 200hrs playing end-game, I’ve only had 2 exotic items drop.

I think this is ridiculously stingy… to the detriment of the game.

I think many players will play this game without ever getting an exotic or some of the best. I still don’t have many of the better exotics after 300 hours.

I think exotics are a great way to breathe new life into the game. They make me want to try different builds. For example, I got a Mantis in the last season reward cache and it’s been awesome configuring a build around it. Something I never would have bothered with a half-arsed rolled SRS.

At the end of every evening I dismantle a hundred sh!tty items. It’s just horrible. At least drop something worth keeping once a week?! FFS!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• LateNiteDelight
    468 posts

@virtual-chris this post was bound to happen the longer you played 😳

Welcome to Looterville! Won't make you feel any better, but it used to be worse, if you can imagine that. I find I get most of my best gear from Caches. I usually get one great piece per hour playing [based on power%] - but since there are so many types of items, the likelihood it's good for me, is very low.

Though what you'll eventually find is they drop in streaks, or at least I do. I could go 100+ hours without one, then get 4 + in a week. RNG is a motherducker.

This is why I pray Ghost Recon can right the ship, while giving me an urban core and better missions ... And as a backup, ask for Hardcore Mode here to be turned into "Immersive Mode"...

• N3mB0t
    296 posts

that´s what the caches exist for , and IMO they drop too much , you can easily have all exotics in the game , apart from the damned raid stuff , very fast ,and because stats are fixed on exotics you only need one of them to drop to never look for another one again .

and like LateNiteDelight said the more you play the less stuff you need or are looking for , its been a hot minute since i needed and went after something , i just look at stuff that drops this days to see if its worth sharing when grouped, alone i deconstruct everything on the fly , dont even pick it up.

and i have an ALT with 150 exotics saved for a rainy day when and if i ever need some exotic components.

• Sock_Monkey
    287 posts

@virtual-chris Do you do the weekly SHD project?

Before when I still had few exotics I'd do the weekly SHD as well as the weekly Summit projects. Those two combined guaranteed two exotics every week. GEs were of course another source (buying with stars), though slightly less often.

Now I have everything that isn't "hidden" behind, say, a raid. Plus Chameleons (in the LZ) and Pestilence (in the DZ) seem to drop for me like candy. When I finally get that Eagle Bearer I have enough exotic components to re-roll it 120 times!

• Oatiecrumble
    300 posts

One thing for sure is if you want Exotics don't do Control Points, they are very rare to come by, Missions is the way to go for Exotics and the weekly cache.

And group play is a good way to get them, plenty of players just drop them in missions.

• Virtual-Chris

@sock_monkey I’ve just started paying attention to weekly projects. Thanks for the tip.

• Wolf2K4Ever
    8 posts

Honestly it's RNG whenever game feels like it. Sometimes it be weeks or it can be like this I hop on a friend's game yesterday got an exotic 5 mins in, ( It was a go bag which end up getting another one 15 mins later but still) Like Sock_monkey said best bet do the weekly SHD project with your characters get your exotic caches.

• Adrian-11
    703 posts

@virtual-chris

Had the same complaint before crossing the 500 SHD mark.
    Lots of good tips from the other replies, there are quite a few good sources beside drops. You need to try group play, chances are better to drop, also other players could share them as there is no point in having more than one once you get to max rolls.

• blueray789
    8 posts

Exactly just with the weekly SHD project you can get one on each character each week. Thats 52 x 4 = 208 per year.

Do a Legendary project and thats another one on each character each week. Thats another 52 x 4 = 208 per year.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

It was almost 600 hours before I dropped my first exotic. It used to be a lot worse. Today we have three sources per week that guarantee an exotic and the drop rate is significantly higher now than it used to be. Try not to think about it too much as you can't force the game to pony up; it'll drop when it drops and not one second sooner I'm afraid.

• Noxious81
    382 posts

Weekly projects indeed are a very good way to get your hands on some nice exotics. Especially the SHD Requisition project basically is a free exotic. Also, playing 30 Summit floors on any difficulty can be done pretty quickly. If completing legendary missions is a thing as well, looking out for the weekly missions is another thing. Personally I only would not recommend trying to complete all Summit challenges for another exotic cache – at least if you're looking for rather fast ways to get some exotics.

Also keep in mind that you may not have some exotics inside your loot pool yet, if you did not finish their original quest in the first place. For example the Dodge City Gunslinger Holster or the Nemesis or the Chatterbox are such exotics that need to be built first at least once per character, before they enter the general loot pool for this agent.

• qapnugget
    61 posts

I am seeing people saying in this thread:

• "In 200hrs playing end-game, I’ve only had 2 exotic items drop."
    • "It was almost 600 hours before I dropped my first exotic"

Which I find odd because I get 2-3 drop per night of playing of 4hrs. Now I just drop them all as it is never anything new and all my exotics are optimised. Feels like I am keeping spare 100 as future exotics components if ever a DLC exotic gear comes round in future to reroll.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@qapnugget Well for me that refers to year one, not year three and obviously there have been many many changes to loot distribution since launch. Your drop rate sounds a little high though so I'd chalk that up to a temporary spike. You could easily not see one for a month such is the nature of RNG (excluding the guaranteed methods).

• Adrian-11
    703 posts

@richardoshea

Yep, they are coming in waves, volume and type, as I said in the post about the weighting.
    Things could chance quickly, I went from having too many exotics, to no drops over the last week.

• BT3241
    86 posts

You want 4 exotics a week with no work have 4 characters and do the weekly SHD requisition project for each one. The summit also offers a exotic cache once a week for 30 floors . So there is 8 in one week if you want them if you have 4 characters. 2 if you have one character guaranteed just finish the projects. There are other projects that also offer exotic gear and weapons once and a while for finishing the mission.

• Virtual-Chris

@qapnugget Wow!... 2-3 per night? I want your version of the game 😄

• SevenNVD
    78 posts

Maybe the drop rate isn't that high, but if you're determent there are a lot of exotics to unlock, even for fresh end game players. Outside of the weekly projects, you have the Nemesis, the Chatterbox, the Liberty, the Diamondback, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Some of them have nice quests to unlock them too, one of the holsters for example I had a lot of fun with. Before you know it, you can be drowning in exotics. They need to stay at least a little exclusive imho, and I think the balance so far is pretty good.

Nothingbutskills has guides on how to collect them all for anyone interested:

• ociwap
    8 posts

Falling out exotics is just RNG. 2 days ago I lost 2 backpacks (Memento and Acosta) from the area controlled by the Black Tusk. Exotics from patrols, executions or controlled areas fell more often than from CP or missions.

• Noxious81
    382 posts
    (...) They need to stay at least a little exclusive imho, and I think the balance so far is pretty good. (...)

When reading this thread I realize that it's hard for a single player to determine whether the drop balance of exotic items currently is well balanced or not. Because as @qapnugget already mentioned, I am too drowning in exotics. Ever since merging materials from two of my four characters I am sitting at 40+ exotic components, I have all exotics at least twice – sometimes even three times (and everyone godrolled as long as it is in use and not catching dust in the stash – yes, my stash doesn't close tightly do there is dust getting in it) – and I still have 37 unopened exotic caches stored somewhere else in this stash. And they are still dropping regularly, which makes me share them right away everytime we are playing with randoms... or sell them (for ~80 to 150 credits).

So I'd say – based on my experience – that exotics are everything but rare. But obviously there are other players that either aren't that lucky or have not yet discovered all ways of obtaining exotic items and caches.

Having said that, I nonetheless still feel that exotics are not what they used to be. While I think that the droprates themselves might be somewhat ok'ish, it were Reconfiguration and Optimization that destroyed grinding exotics for me.

Why? Because back in the days when exotics dropped with random stats, you could still continue grinding for the very same exotic, trying to get one with better stats. Seeing an exotic drop was such a great think back then! But then they introduced Reconfiguration, so you could completely re-roll any exotic with material from dismantling any exotic. And they increased droprates. And they added exotic caches to all of the aforementioned projects. And to GEs and leagues. And to GE vendors. And now you can even optimize all of your exotics.

That's, at least for my liking, too much. Because that's another mechanic killing the grind, making exotics feel waaaay less special, even perfect ones.

• qapnugget
    61 posts

I think it is the way people play.

Me and buddies are kind of impatient. We don't like waiting around checking inventory/picking up ammo for each mission segment or between summit floors. 1 second glance each loot and move on.

Kind of have to as many of them work 9-5 and only have few hours away from family to play, so they don't want to hang around.

The less time spent checking inventory, picking up ammo, checking out ground loot then the more efficient the number of activities fit into an evening's play.

Suggested Topics