Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 653 posts

It’s hard to explain why, but NY has a more interesting feel than Washington.

Maybe it’s because there are more narrow streets and tall buildings in NY that make it feel more claustrophobic with limited sight lines. But the older architecture in places and the water front areas are more interesting as well. There’s more cool roof top locations in NY as well. It just seems more intense and ominous.

DC is full of giant government buildings and landmarks which is interesting to see in a run down post-apocalypse type of setting, but it lacks the tone that NY offers and much of it looks the same. It’s also very wide open.

I’d love to see TD3 go to San Fran. Sone elevation variation would be interesting and lots of old architecture there. Both NY and DC are mostly flat.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• LateNiteDelight
    475 posts

@virtual-chris so just like real life 🤣

I really hope the "new content" this winter is NYC based! I'd be happy with San Francisco or winter Chicago for TD3. They've got city assets for both thanks to Watch Dogs...

• WalkinTarget1
    31 posts

I much prefer DC, and you are 100% correct in why they are different. When I'm roaming DC, I rarely got ambushed at an intersection - I have great sight lines and I can set up a choke point to ambush them instead.

In NY, I round a corner and have no advance warning on my HUD that there is a patrol nearby. Add to that the fact that some factions have more armor wearing thugs and I had better have cover nearby or I am getting chewed up fast.

It surely helps that I know the DC map like the back of my hand after over 2.5k hours invested. NY is an OK change of pace, but the only reason I visit it these days is to chase the rare piece of gear that one of my builds needs for a targeted loot area.

• IgotNerfed
    18 posts

@virtual-chris I was not a fan of NY. I completed WONY and never went back to it.

• Adrian-11
    707 posts

@virtual-chris

This is mostly why I say TD1 had a more immersive atmosphere, all the things you said plus the winter setting, with longer and much darker nights, and the feeling of the still-unfolding collapse of the civilization (that's kind of old news in TD2).
    WONY managed to port some aspects but still got into some cartoonish, diminishing stuff that was completely missing from the original NY (was pure violence and despair, no funny lines or clown behavior from NPCs).

• dagrommit
    661 posts
    stuff that was completely missing from the original NY (was pure violence and despair, no funny lines or clown behavior from NPCs).

Huh? I can think of a couple of goofy NPC's - the JTF officers trying to befriend a dog, another pair examining a drone, rikers having a fistfight etc.

I know the OP doesn't like sponge, but Div 1 is worth picking up if it's on sale. The base game is US$10 right now, but I've seen it cheaper.

• Adrian-11
    707 posts

@dagrommit

I think the dog and the drone (some BT drone) scenes are from WONY, not from TD1... ?
    Hmm, I don't recall seeing any Rikers getting into fistfights, unless it was just a scripted one-time in a mission.

• dagrommit
    661 posts

@adrian-11 ah yeah, my bad. Div 1 had some sarcastic lines from NPC's, but nothing like the little vignettes from WONY.

• Oatiecrumble
    300 posts

Not a fan of NYC, dunno why but it depresses me, just feels so dreary and bores me.

Even though i much prefer the atmosphere in TD1 and it's kinda like NYC but it makes me feel happy.

• HonestlyOK1986
    85 posts

Was discussing this the other day with a mate if mine. Td1 was so much more cut throat, brutal, harsh, survival instinct enviroment and very detailed. I feel td2 lacks the detail in the enviroment td1 had. You go down an alleyway in td1 or a street theres just stuff from peoples houses etc everywhere, rubbish, dead bodies, blood, clothes, signs Cera and JTF/Military were there trying to control the situation. You walk round dc theres a little of it but not alot.

I feel td1 let you see more of peoples lives, how they're struggling to even survive the winter nevermind the situation, their homes, echos of what happened to them, following trails of lost agents into the undergroundstations and wandering the mazes of whats down there. I feel they missed the stories that engrossed us for td1 in both td2 an wony.

I played through wony and never really went back for 2nds. I went back for the hunters but it never felt like an area worth exploring. Td2 juat feels like its missing an imminent and untold threat that td1 had around every corner, you're not on edge you're just playing.

Having started again on td2 withh a new character i cant say the fights arent fierce or entertaining, but i just never feel in as much jepoardy or the plight of the situation was big enough. To be brutally honest, td2 needed to be harsher than the first. Not the same game types but the thing that made the last of us 2 potentially even better than the first was the pure brutality that was multiplied from the first, the downtime of the nicer moments were a nice bit of downtime/break from it all too, enjoyable in comparison to the brutality of it. td2 just seemed like an easy ride in comparison and less like the end of the world and more like a equal playing field fight back even if they are a bit more bullet spongey.

Wony was a chance to oull some of that back but it appears they went for a bit of a lighter approach to the end of the world.

• Virtual-Chris

@dagrommit I will definitely give TD1 a try once I get tired of TD2.

• LateNiteDelight
    475 posts
    @dagrommit I will definitely give TD1 a try once I get tired of TD2.

Just be prepared to rage quit at the sponge climbing to level 30 a handful of times..

It's better now that I'm in end game, with high end gear.. but I only got through thanks to some nudges from a friend..

• Imagine_Brata
    177 posts

@virtual-chris Me too I cleared the entire NY map 4 times alone today. And it's extra fun when you're 4 in a group. There are street fights and activities everywhere. And I like all dark little back streets

• Virtual-Chris

Just be prepared to rage quit at the sponge climbing to level 30 a handful of times..

It's better now that I'm in end game, with high end gear.. but I only got through thanks to some nudges from a friend..

LOL. Sheesh.

• Rodnaz
    69 posts

@virtual-chris Just a FYI TD1 was a free download last year. I like the layout, scenery etc but not a fan of the clunky mechanics.

Suggested Topics