Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• dagrommit
    Original poster 647 posts

I've been grinding out some commendations in Div 1, and it's noticeable how much shorter most of the missions are compared to Div 2. While they look fantastic, and were cool the first time around, I do think a few take a bit too long - e.g. Manning National Zoo and Tidal Basin.

What do people think an idea mission length should be in future? For simplicity, assume your gear quality is appropriate for the difficulty - i.e. low item power for normal or high item power for heroic, and that the completion time is the same in both cases.

[edit] that second option should read "10 - 15 minutes", but it seems to have shortened to "10" 😲

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TxDieselKid
    149 posts

I think there needs to be a soild mixture. I think some need to be 5-7, while some need to stretch out to 30 minutes. The one thing about all the classified missions, is they all run about 15 minutes. That's a good average in my mind, but on non-strong holds, I think it's still fine to be a bit longer sometimes. I don't like every mission to take the same amount of time.

• Oatiecrumble
    299 posts

10-15 for me, any longer it gets boring, any shorter it becomes pointless.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

I think we need a variety of mission lengths ranging from short 10 minutes in length all the way up to the hour long slogs. Personally it would be the longer and harder the better, but that won't appeal to everyone nor will an entire game of 10 minute missions. Right now you can blow through some of the shorter misssions extremely quickly and that type of mission slowly became testing grounds or showcases simply because they were short and predictable.

Variety across the spectrum.

• Virtual-Chris
    627 posts

I don’t care 🙂

What I hate are missions that take all night because you have to run around a death match arena trying to disable this or that while tons of enemies are trying to kill you. Those mission designers can **** off!

• dagrommit
    I think we need a variety of mission lengths ranging from short 10 minutes in length all the way up to the hour long slogs.

Way to make yourself popular with people who have kids! 🤕

I don't mind a bit of variety, but anything that takes over 20 minutes on subsequent playthroughs (i.e. when you're familiar with it) would get irritating.

Raids would be an exception to this rule, but those can be completed over the space of a week, so aren't as problematic.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@dagrommit I do hope we're not designing a game with a singular demographic in mind? Hence the wide variety suggestion. I don't always have the time myself and there are many things in life that interfere with us. Thankfully games such as this have lengthy life-spans (currently in year 3) so there's the time but perhaps not precisely when you'd like it.

What would a game with 12 ten minute missions amount to if anything but 2 hours of game play to be repeated for however long? Variety allows the game to meet the desires of a disparate community. Considering that Raids only have a 3% completion rate are we targetting anyone in particular or are 97% so time-strapped that a 45 minute raid or Legendary is too much?

• dagrommit
    What would a game with 12 ten minute missions amount to if anything but 2 hours of game play to be repeated for however long? Variety allows the game to meet the desires of a disparate community

To be clear, I'm not suggesting all missions be ten minutes long. A mix between 10 - 20 minutes would be fine with me, with perhaps a slightly longer "final" mission. Just don't make it an hour long.

Considering that Raids only have a 3% completion rate are we targetting anyone in particular or are 97% so time-strapped that a 45 minute raid or Legendary is too much?

As I said, raids are an exception to this rule, and excluded from the question. Same thing for Legendary difficulty.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@dagrommit I'd be a liar if I said the idea appealed to me, but I do understand your particular perspective. The problem I see is that even if you account for the requirement that we're discussing an appropriately geared and levelled agent it remains a short mission. I think it's kind of where we are today though isn't it? Not many missions go over 20 minutes let alone an hour, then we have difficulty scaling which also impacts completion time so are we discussing max difficulty too at this point?

• SevenNVD
    76 posts

I was thinking about this the other day. I remember in one of the beta's for Division 2 we had the option of playing Jefferson Trade Centre on invaded with a WT4 build. It took nearly 30 minutes to complete it, and especially on the higher difficulties it was just wave after wave after wave of enemies spawning in each section. That was just too frustrating as you were fighting in each hallway for far too long. That said, we complete the same mission in 6 minutes now with full optimized builds and knowing all the spawns.

A long mission is fine, if it brings something new to the table. This could be a new environment, new enemy type or a new mechanic, but simply throwing more NPC's at the players for the sake of prolonging the mission is a no go.

Speaking for myself and my own preference, Manning National Zoo is a beautiful mission but way too long, by the time you get to the end fase, which is a cool "new" mechanic with the C4's and the metro, you are totally burned out. At least I was.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@sevennvd Absolutely, weight of numbers and sponge bob is not the way to go. What does it leave though? Enemy damage, AI, strategies and tactics, equipment and their individual power levels(?). When the game seemed to be more oriented in that direction many thought it too hard, as you say, called for it to be made easier so that 30 minute mission eventually dropped to under 10 minutes and was swiftly called out as being far too easy. How does a developer 'win' in that environment? Pleasing everyone is also out so some feel let down while others feel heard. I'd imagine we've all felt both at some point during our time with the game.

Manning Zoo can really kick your but if you turn up late. Those poxy motars are still instahit too.

• dagrommit

@richardoshea solo play only as that's a baseline players have control over. Group scaling is too unpredictable to be included for the purposes of this discussion.

• L3AND80
    66 posts

I think 10-15 minutes for main quests would be fine and 15-25 minutes for strongholds would be fine.
    Now, final missions like Tidal Basin or Liberty Island can go beyond 20 minutes, but without reaching 30, because then, im my opinion, it gets very boring.

Taking into account that these times would be for players who know the mechanics of the game (veterans and casual players), as novice players or those who are learning would take longer to complete, especially strongholds and special missions.

• IgotNerfed
    18 posts

@virtual-chris 100% agree, who in their right mind thought these kinds if missions would be fun?

• IgotNerfed
    18 posts

@dagrommit Not as long as Roosevelt Island ever! i hated that mission on console and i am sure i'll hate it on pc. Having said that any mission will take me longer because i sit back in cover and pick off NPCs that i see as the biggest threat first, then i slowly move up into cover, rinse and repeat. The only mission i did complete in a half decent time was the Grand Washington Hotel in 13 minutes with a skill build on challenging on console. Definitely not a speed runner, but i'd say 25 min max if all of your gear is up to it. I didn't have much time to put into the game before but now i have time. (thanks to waiting for 2 total knee replacements) Sometimes i get bored if the missions are too long and repetitive.

• Adrian-11
    689 posts

@igotnerfed

IMO Roosevelt Island is one of the better missions, has quite the variety in it and I like to blow up the NPCs.
    If there is anything that bothers me at the moment is the "final boss arena" end for some missions, Parnell's being probably the most annoying of them. Also, that Kajika fight mid-mission where is impossible to kill him is so BS after you run it once...
    I'm okay with longer missions as long as they have variety and flow nicely, and not some Kenly or arena BS.

• IgotNerfed
    18 posts

@adrian-11 That's a fair comment. Everyone has their favourite types of missions, I was being harsh on Roosevelt Island the only bit I don't actually like is the end part when you climb up from the bunker..The waves of enemies before you get to the actual boss is never ending. The Kajika fight is nonsense, I agree.

• Oatiecrumble
    299 posts

Like: 👍

1. Air & Space Museum
    2. Lincoln Memorial
    3. Grand Washington Hotel
    4. American History Museum
    5. District Union Arena
    6. Jefferson Trade Center
    7. Capitol Building
    8. Potomac Event Center
    9. Camp White Oak
    10. Roosevelt Island
    11. Coney Island Ballpark
    12. Coney Island Amusement Park
    13. ViewPoint Museum
    14. DCD Headquarters
    15. The Pentagon
    16. DARPA Research Labs
    17. Bank Headquarters
    18. Jefferson Plaza
    19. Stranded Tanker
    20. Wall Street

Try to avoid: 👎

1. Tidal Basin*
    2. Federal Emergency Bunker**
    3. Space Administration HQ**
    4. Manning National Zoo*
    5. The Tombs**
    6. Pathway Park**
    7. Liberty Island**

* Too long 😪
    ** Annoying 😡

• Adrian-11
    689 posts

@oatiecrumble

My preference overlaps most of this list, perhaps with a few changes in ranking.
    The big exception is the Federal Bunker, which I like a lot even tho the final battle is a bit arena-like.

• SevenNVD
    76 posts

@adrian-11

Yes same for me, I like Federal Bunker too, although the opening door animations are a bit overdone. The close quarter battles are fun.

Other changes for me would be dropping Potamac Event Center a few places, I don't like the outside areas on that mission, but inside and the boss fight are good. And somehow I enjoy Bank Headquarters as well.

Suggested Topics