Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheNorfolkian
    Original poster 603 posts

So, I recently discovered that another user on the forums I had blocked was still seeing what I had posted. I was under the impression that blocking someone would also mean that they could not see your posts, but this is apparently not the case. Why was the block feature designed like this? What’s the point?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Rootimus
    7 posts
    I was under the impression that blocking someone would also mean that they could not see your posts, but this is apparently not the case.

Most (all?) forum software works this way and has done for at least 20 years. Blocking a user stops you having to read their stuff, which you presumably find disagreeable / useless enough that you don't want to see it.

OTOH, Twitter does it the wrong way around (disclaimer: I don't use any anti-social media, so this is second hand info) whereby the person you block is prevented from seeing your posts until they cunningly log out, at which point they can see it again.

• TheNorfolkian

@rootimus I honestly have not used a discussion forum platform in at least twenty years until I joined this one, so that is actually news to me. I also quit using more contemporary social media a few years back, but I do remember that ‘blocking’ implied that someone else wouldn’t see you. Thanks for the info... I’ll just live with the reality of antiquated software.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1258 posts

Hey there @TheNorfolkian, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply to this thread.

I have tested the blocking functionality using two accounts, and have been able to reproduce the behaviour you have described whereby I could still view the profile I had been blocked by, as well as read its posts etc. I've opened a conversation with the forum developers to confirm the intended behaviour of the blocking functionality, and also request that if there is an issue and the functionality is not working as expected, that that issue be resolved.

I'll keep you updated. 🙂

@Rootimus - Twitter from personal experience offers blocking (preventing interaction / profile access by a specified account) and muting (preventing you from seeing content from a specified account). This means that it offers different features to accommodate for different user preferences. To "block" someone on other social media (such as Facebook or Instagram) also prevents access and interaction by the specified account with you, so I do think the behaviour on the forums here may be unusual. I'm looking into it with the forum developers now! 🙂

Official Response
  • TheNorfolkian

@ubi-woofer Cool! Thanks for investigating this issue to confirm that it wasn't just my imagination.

Suggested Topics