Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• KraziAgent
    Original poster 17 posts

Please implement AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology. Tom Clancy's : The Division is a game that deserves to be played with the best possible graphics quality, and AMD FSR technology would help a lot.

also FidelityFX VRS (Variable Rate Shading)

and other AMD Features!!!

GAME NEEDS UPDATED BADLY, GAME FEELS OLD NOW!!!!

and WE NEED SOME Realtime Raytracing effects, Shadows & Reflections ad Global Illumination PLEASE UBISOFT !!!! SUPORT AMD RX 6800XT RTRT

AND RE-OPTIMIZE THE GAME FOR AMD RADEON RX 6000 (BIG NAVI) RDNA2 ALSO.. WE SHOULD BE GETTING BETTER PERFORMANCE NOT ONLY IN DX11 BUT DX12, Update game to DX12 Ultimate !!!
    support Future tech like MS Direct Storage API TOO!!!! for NVMe Storage an Gen3/Gen4 SSDS

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

Someone has a new and shiny RX6800XT... 😁
    What about your friends with RTX?

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

Cool beans on the card but maybe you should've replaced that keyboard first, or at least the capslock key. ⌨ I can't see what you're asking for happening but if it does then great. Of no use to me though as I already use VSR/Sharpening/AO in this game and I do that with a Vega 56.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

Just look at the Steam hardware survey to see the percentage of players with that hardware.. 1% if that? So I can't see a studio covering the costs for that on a game in it's third year, but maybe AMD/Nvidia would?

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@richardoshea

Ray tracing is probably more difficult/expensive to implement, but DLSS and FSR should be easier and would provide an immediate performance boost. AMD made FSR open source (like FreeSync) so would benefit a larger number of people.
    As for AMD or Nvidia covering the cost of implementation, they will do it if it drives up the recognition and the adoption of their technologies (which in turn will drive up sales), which means they will do it for very popular current games, or high-hyped upcoming games. Hence, TD2 is a weak candidate a the moment and TD1 is dead in the waters.
    The real opportunity would arise if Heartland includes those technologies, which hopefully will make it easy to port them as the games are using the same engine.
    In the meantime, enjoy the sound of silence.

• dagrommit
    648 posts

LOL @ claiming to want the best image quality, then demanding FSR - which gives worse image quality than native resolution 👀

And no, we don't "need" raytracing effects, especially as they won't run on older consoles or non-RT capable GPU's. No point in redoing all the art when so many people can't benefit.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@dagrommit

Yep, I agree, reflections, shadows, lighting are very well done in TD, we don't need ray tracing, it won't add much.

The OP may confuse things re. FSR and image quality, or maybe not. If you run the game at 1080 on a 1080 monitor, you don't need FSR or DLSS.
    But, it you have a good 4K monitor or TV, you won't be able to run that native resolution with all graphics maxed out at a decent frame rate unless your GPU cost is close to $2000 in your PC. This is where FSR and DLSS come in, upscaling from 1080 to 4K with decent image quality (not as native resolution, but much better than 1080 on a 4K screen without any upscaling), while maintaining playable frame rates. That's the bottom line, decent upscaled picture quality and decent frame rates, when there isn't enough processing power to do it at 4K (or other reso) natively. New consoles do the same, when they need to.
    Hence, FSR and DLSS would be a good idea, good performance bump with minimal picture quality impact. Of course, that would be an option in the settings, so it would come down to personal preference / trade offs.

And speaking of ray tracing, it has nothing to do with art, and most definitely you don't to redo the art in The Division if you want ray tracing. It's a rendering technology related to lighting, reflections, occlusion and shaders. Has been included in DX12, but there wasn't any capable hardware until the RTX line.

• dagrommit
    648 posts
    And speaking of ray tracing, it has nothing to do with art, and most definitely you don't to redo the art in The Division if you want ray tracing. It's a rendering technology related to lighting, reflections, occlusion and shaders.

Yes it does. Many games bake in lighting effects or shadows into light maps, or use fake light sources to provide additional illumination. These would need to be rebalanced or removed, as they were when Metro Exodus redid their rendering pipeline for RT

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-metro-exodus-tech-interview

And a third effect, in terms of actual work done on this project was that artists went through and removed/rebalanced everything. Ray tracing in the first launch of Metro Exodus on PC made a lot of places darker than they should have been, especially interiors or the tunnels where there was no natural sunlight. Now that pretty much every light in the scene (technically only the shadowed ones) can add to the GI, the effect is to have more light than would have been there in the original. So, we could remove some fake lights and tone down or even remove 'real' lights where appropriate.

The article is a good read for other examples of changes they made.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@dagrommit

Okay, point of clarification - when you said art I thought assets, including textures, models, map and level design.
    I didn't count the light maps into "art", I guess it is part of how a game looks and feels. But, this would be the only part of the "art" that has to be changed.

• dagrommit
    648 posts

@adrian-11 go read the article. They mentioned modifying some particle effects and models too.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

I think it's changed now but didn't DLSS also require large and specific data sets to be sent off to go through the ML programmes to generate bespoke DLSS solutions per game? I.e. very expensive to do.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@dagrommit

I know the article and I know the game.
    These guys wanted something special, full ray tracing on everything. Most of the games with ray tracing don't do that, again, because of the processing power limits at the moment. They make the best use of limited ray tracing, where the visual improvements are most visible. Even Exodus is like that for the "non-enhanced" edition.
    If you want to go that big, yes, there are many changes. But it's not a must, you can do a limited implementation, find the best trade off between looks and performance penalty.
    I bet if Massive would go the Exodus Enhanced Edition route, the amount of details, reflections, lighting, shadows, particles etc. would make the game unplayable (4K maxed out) on any current hardware. They could do a limited implementation, but the benefits would be scarce.

Back to the initial topic, I do think FSR and DLSS would be a good addition that doesn't require any assets or art rework. There will be some tinkering with the engine though...

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@richardoshea

Yep, changed with DLSS 2.0.
    Initially, per game "training" was required, so Nvidia was quite involved. Now it's using a more generic, universal neural network model that feeds from in-game frames to "learn" on the fly what to do with the next frame, almost like a self-feeding loop.
    FSR is a more straight forward, non-AI, upscaling method, powered by the hardware, yet with good results.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@adrian-11 Thank you. I take it those changes were accompanied by hardware level improvements to cores etc? I recall 2080 series cards having a significant fps hit running even conservative RTX implementations. Early adopters do take a hit in that regard, and AMD are behind on this sort of thing I think.

• Adrian-11
    695 posts

@richardoshea

I am no expert, but the whole idea behind new generations of hardware in general is improved performance.
    And yes, RTX3XXX series does better, for example an RTX3070 (non-Ti) matches and exceeds the performance of an RTX2080 Ti, at less than half price (MSRP speaking).
    And the idea behind DLSS was to mitigate the ray tracing penalty, especially at high resolutions - render the full details and effects, including ray tracing at lower resolutions (i.e. 1080p) where you decent frame rates, and then do upscaling to higher resolutions 2k or 4k.

• Andy76swe
    1 posts

Hope they add FSR.. apparently its easy to do so

Suggested Topics