ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• UNSOLVED Unable to access the 'Runes' menu as I have no middle mouse button and no option to rebind key

0 Likes/14 Replies/816 Views
    Trace_Coburn
    Original poster 4 posts

How do I do this? My mouse doesn't have a middle button to open the menu, and I can't find anything in the Controls menu to let me re-bind that command! Can anyone offer a suggestion, or point me to something in the Settings menu that I may have missed?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Nacho
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1479 posts

@trace_coburn Hi,

You'll be able to re-map your controls by following the steps below:
    https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/help/assassins-creed-valhalla/gameplay/article/key-mapping-in-assassins-creed-valhalla/000074726

If you are unable to see this menu, or have trouble changing your controls, please let us know!

Official Response
  • Trace_Coburn
    Original poster 4 posts

@ubi-nacho You refer to "Options Menu -> Controls -> Customise Controls"? I've already tried that, and gone up and down the whole list, at least a dozen times - I cannot find any reference to accessing the Runes Menu in the 'Customise Controls' menu. The command to access the base Inventory screen ("I"), yes, but the only place I can find in the game interface that refers to accessing the Runes Menu is the screen shown below, which appears when I open an item's description - and currently has that command mapped to [Centre Mouse Button], which I do not have.

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3594 posts

@trace_coburn I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to find an option to change the middle mouse button in the key binding settings.

I will forward this on to the development team.

Official Response
  • azullFR
    2010 posts

@Trace_Coburn
    @Ubi-Keo

maybe assigning a key to this will do the job ("Lock Target")

(I did assigned F8, but it was for another test, didn't tried the rune menu with it, so I'm really not sure it will do the job)

Good luck to you 🙂

• azullFR
    2010 posts

@ubi-keo
    @Trace_Coburn

I did a test on PS4 with assigning F8 to the middle mouse button of my mouse (Auto-Lock) =

1. I could lock ennemies by pressing F8
    2. F8 does nothing to the runes menu, still need to use the middle mouse button for the runes menu

( seems it is somehow "hardcoded" or "hardlinked" to the middle mouse button )

Nice day to all 🙂

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3594 posts

@azullfr Thanks for testing that and letting us know 🙂

Official Response
  • azullFR
    2010 posts

@Trace_Coburn

by any chance, have your mouse any other button than Right click and Left click ?
    (something more or less like "page forward" or "page up" buttons)

• Trace_Coburn
    Original poster 4 posts

@azullfr Apart from LMB, RMB and the scroll-wheel, my mouse has two buttons on the left (thumb) side, with 'forward' and 'back' arrows on them, which the drivers apparently interpret as Mouse Button 3 and Mouse Button 4. I tried rebinding 'lock target' to MB4 ("back"), like you did, and just as in your case, it didn't help with the Runes Menu.

• azullFR
    2010 posts

@trace_coburn

maybe rebiding one of the mouse buttons to "middle click" in windows or using a third party software for windows will help, I saw these infos in this Topic :
    (Post from Nov 13, 2020, 9:27 AM)
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/78347/unable-to-rebind-keyboard-for-rune-system-pc/5?lang=en-US

hope this will help you a little 🙂

• Ubi-Litten
    Ubisoft Support Staff 179 posts

Hi @trace_coburn, sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue. Just to rule out any easy fix which may have been overlooked, are you able to click down on your mouse scroll wheel as this is often counted as an additional input?

Official Response
  • Trace_Coburn
    Original poster 4 posts

@ubi-litten I've tried that as well - no joy. 😢 FWIW, I've just doubled-checked the branding, and I'm working with a Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard/mouse set-up.

• Ubi-Thrupney
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2224 posts

@trace_coburn Thanks very much for trying that for us. We've passed on your feedback about this to be looked into internally.

In the meantime, there are certainly programs out there which can be used to rebind mouse buttons, or send keyboard keystrokes as mouse button actions. I can't recommend any particular programs for this, since we don't ourselves develop any such programs, but I see the topic linked by @azullFR describes such a program that may be helpful!

My apologies for the inconvenience while we look into this.

Official Response
  • Whatelse73
    1 posts

@ubi-thrupney What I find troubling is that this was an issue being discussed over a year ago and now back in August. I was able to re-assign my middle mouse button to another button on my mouse using logitech's software. BUT, I shouldn't have to use external software to trick the game into thinking the middle mouse button is another button. We can change the key binding of every other action in the game, except this one option that is extraordinarily important to gameplay? That is very disconcerting, especially since there isn't an in-game update for this even after over a year since the game's release. Maybe hire someone to be the "common sense checker person" to ask dumb questions like, "what happens if their middle mouse button doesn't work or they don't have a middle mouse button?"

Just a thought...

Suggested Topics