Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• sakesakesake
    Original poster 10 posts

Hey there - please note there will be major DLC spoilers (i will try to use the spoiler brackets if thats a thing on this forum).

I'd also like to say that i appreciate that Ubisoft is one of the few companies that is still putting out content on a semi regular basis despite the whole covid shenanigans and if everything im going to point out is simply due to time constraints then it is quite alright - i'm mostly worried about the people who wrote this thinking its actually well done.

So i have 2 major gripes with this DLC and they are, as mentioned in the topic, a story where character choices make absolutely no sense and a complete lack of playeragency.

spoiler

Last but not least another thing i found quite disappointing was the fact that at the very beginning of the DLC Eivor is given the choice between wine / ale / ill drink anything. I picked Ale so naturally my Eivor kept chugging wine like its the new hotness the entire DLC long. This might seem minor (and it is really) but overall its very telling for the issues the DLC has.If AC Origins started adopting some of the strengths that games like Witcher 3 had - namely minor player agency in every little quest and great storytelling, then Valhalla perfected it but this particular DLC was a huge step in the wrong direction.

All of this lack of playeragency in relation to the story is even more confusing when you consider that the gameplay in particular tried to bring more agency back to the player - giving stealth kill alternatives to the frontal assault in several missions (although even those end up feeling quite linear but i didnt actually try to check out all the choices so i dont really know)

Sincerely

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TheSmio
    80 posts

@sakesakesake Another thing to add about your point - Sigfred. The way his arc ended reminded me of Odyssey and the shallowness I hated. It was the Nikolaos situation all over again!

Choice 1 - Decide to go for a fight, you obviously win, Sigfred dies (I think, I went for the second option) and you never see him again

Choice 2 - Decide not to go for a fight, Sigfred has a change of heart and.... he leaves and you never see him again?

It's stuff like this that I really hate and thankfully, Valhalla didn't seem to have many decisions like this. I agree that the story was somewhat weak in this area. I really loved the gameplay and I even liked how the characters were portrayed, but the decisions and the impact behind them didn't really seem consistent. I guess you could say this is a good "parody" of medieval politics, because they were a real mess and there weren't any good options either, but still.

• Jakeypoo12345
    27 posts

@sakesakesake Yeah ive noticed this too.. this dlc left a bitter taste in my mouth. it really could have been better.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics