ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• JustJarnefeldt
    Original poster 1 posts

So, Legion of the Dead dropped onto consoles a day ago (August 24th), and I've spent roughly the past 3 hours or so, trudging through the LotD game mode. Just want to touch on a few things and provide some feedback that LotD desperately seems to need.

First and foremost: I have yet to successfully extract from even a single run of LotD! Not. Even. Close. I've played a total of 17 runs on public squads 2 on private. Not even once were we able to get two blocks in before being overrun by zombies. Simply put, the fact that these zeds sprint, command grab, and teleport players to death is a problem that needs to be addressed for balance-sake.

Second: The time limits need to go. Out of every instance of media involving zombie apocalypses, never once has "waste all your ammo and rush to extraction" been the answer to survival. Putting a time limit on LotD runs forces players to do exactly that. Stealth is ALWAYS key to survival, especially when it comes to urban zombie settings like densely packed cities.

Third and final (for the sake of this post): weather events, specifically the dense fog, hampers playability and provides no malus to the AI. Npcs and zombies alike can see me just fine, whereas my fov is reduced to 3 meters.

To summarize/feedback:

1) slow zombies down. Rotting, diseased flesh should not provide the muscular plasticity to allow for undead Usain Bolts.

2) for balance purposes, increase zombies awareness range, particularly for sound. A horde of slow moving zeds is far more formidable, imposing, and cinematic than zombified Sonic the Hedgehogs.

3) The number of times I watched aggro'd zombies teleport through obstacles, up stairs, and even through doors and gates was staggeringly high. Idk how to explain it ogherwise, but that's bad.

4) Remove the time limit completely. It's not fun. It's just bad game design.

5) Weather events need tweaking so that AI are affected just as players are. In its current state, it's just a hassle; and I'm far more likely to return to main menu than deal with dense fog again.

Hope this post didn't come off as too crass or anything - just wanted to leave feedback in hopes to see LotD in a more user friendly and playable state.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• MeanElf
    10 posts

@justjarnefeldt A well said post and very valid points. I would like to add a couple of points of feedback to the team.

I did make it to the extraction point twice, only to be shot to hell by turrets and drones and then chomped on by free roving zeds - so it wasn't so much an extraction zone as a kill-box. It also wouldn't let me use the zone to end the run, stating I didn't have sufficient packages without saying how many are required - I had two on my last run.

I also used some of my z-credits to buy an assault rifle which I promptly lost with that character when they died in the midst of what seemed to be a spawning horde of zeds - I'm not going to spend those credits on stuff other characters cannot use. I get that we need to build up our chances of making it but this was just painful which is a shame as it's very atmospheric and chaotic as hell.

I couldn't do public co-op as it really relies on headphones - as I play mostly at 04:00 to 09:00 I cannot use a mic due to the time of day and potentially waking my wife up - we also don't live in a big bungalow, with the bedroom being five metres from the living room.

That time limit definitely needs to go and stealth takedowns should be added back in, especially as melee even with a crowbar equipped, more often than not defaults to a pistol-whip instead.

Zeds don't seem attracted to noise other than compounds being defended by CK or Albion - traps don't attract them.

Finding a vehicle that works is a godsend and I get that they are vulnerable to damage but the Albion armoured trucks seem to be just as fragile - those at least should be pretty impervious.

Anyway - that was from a couple of hours this morning - I know photo mode isn't a major priority to you folks but please add a save option to these online modes with the option to enter photo mode during the replay - missing a lot of good picture options here.

• esolomon09
    6 posts

The zombies should do less than HALF of your health… And also, why is it that, if ONE person dies, EVERYONE FAILS. Thats a stupid mechanic…

• MeanElf
    10 posts

@esolomon09 I wasn't aware that all in a team will die if one falls - definitely a bad move on implementing that and the health shouldn't stop you from pushing them or shooting your way out - it's already a mechanic for regular melee in some cases.

• MeanElf
    10 posts

@meanelf Further to the above - I see it now shows that 8 packages are needed - this is not easy solo, not in 30 mins with large packs blocking key routes. I think proportional numbers of zombies in those packs according to team size, or a more lenient time limit would make this a lot less frustrating.

Melee seems to work better now, though it's still clunky (no pun intended)

Last observation - why have riot gas drones? Zombies aren't breathing, so the only ones inconvenienced are the player, especially as these are the dominant drone type which makes the multi-drone hack fairly pointless within a 30 minute timeframe. Please reconsider lengthening this and allowing us to select items from what we've bought.

• Sentinel_Deija
    13 posts

I do largely agree with many of these points. I differ however that rather than remove them, perhaps a selectable challenge mode could be an option... So that single normal mode and team hard mode becomes available with proportional rewards to go with it.

I would be more interested in this "survival" style gameplay if (like in Division 1) the rewards were transferrable to your main game. Not simply ETO rewards, but cosmetic exclusives, or abilities and weapons currently exclusive to this game mode only...

Often I feel as though the Developers miss the mark because they do not truly understand what motivates and drives players. Risk and Reward. We enjoy a fair struggle to obtain things. That is the very nature of gaming. The design work is amazing, as are the world building and options emerging in this game mode... However... when you leave it... and return... you have no real reason to keep playing... nothing earned or banked...

Suggestions:

• The "streak character" can be gradually and permanently upgraded at great cost to acquire ongoing weapons or gadgets (incentive to survive)
    • The special items, guns and loot finds that get "extracted" can be taken back into Online and Campaign modes - Exclusive LOTD variations and items.
    • Boosters such as reduced CD time for things like the Cargo drone (currently at 9-10 mins CD) - Or purchasable tweaks from main menu.

These are only a few, not exhaustive, but a solid start for development.

The "streak character" can be lost.. and everything you paid for goes with it. True incentive to build teams, survive and build the streak. Develop, grow and SURVIVE. Extracting the map exclusives (very much the way Division franchise has a Dark Zone). This would provide deep incentive to keep surviving and the loss at losing the character akin to permadeath in the main game... but... this would be a unique game mode and something to return to again an again.

Touching on the points raised above....
    (1) I agree on the zombies being slow and innumerable as soon as you get close they run and auto latch if you do not strike them first a few times to get them down... More than one and you lose half your life, all it takes is two or three of them and 2 lucky unblockable latches and you are done.

(2) Awareness range should be dependant on stealth and like things with rotting eyes or noses... (as we see in the Walking Dead) heat and sound should be the main triggers. Although a challenge to write into a game as variables... it would be the best solution.

(3) I have not seen zombie teleports, I have however seen Zombie spawning in a very random way in unoccupied areas effectively blocking several pathways to "react" to my decisions and those of my team. The Zombies could not climb stairs fast nor jump fences or barriers, which I used often to control their flow.

(4) Time limit should be a selectable option for those that enjoy extra risk for more reward, like a multiplier. That way people wanting a slow stealthy paced extended run can enjoy that minus the time limit pressure... Or (Like in Division 1 Survival) a way to push the timer back or freeze it... by looting or locating items inworld would be a fantastic compromise and become a strong motivator.

(5) The fog really felt punishing even on PC. The new daylight activity time was a pleasant surprise as was starting in the extraction zone and having to go hunt for supplies to bring back (only to have clan Kelley goons waiting upon my return.. nice touch!). Maybe reduce the obfuscation just a little bit... for balance. Right now dense fog adds more lethality to the unblockable attacks they can spring from nowhere. Two bites and you are gone.

All feedback thus far from all posters has been incredibly good and if balanced a little more... this becomes a very fun co-op (or solo stealth) survival game.

• MeanElf
    10 posts

@meanelf By way of an update, I'm actually enjoying the Legion of the Dead even in this form - I also realise that being peeved at Clan Kelley or Albion guarding the extraction point is a bit silly, especially as the types working for those two organisations are unlikely to give a damn about anyone else.

• A1R50FT-10
    468 posts

@esolomon09

Are you sure that's the case? I've played LOTD and at all times (for me), the mission fails when all players are downed, not when only one player is downed

• RedStorm1122
    2 posts

@justjarnefeldt I agree with pretty much everything you said. Especially get rid of the time limit. Timed stealth, yeah right. It literally will punish you for even trying to be stealth. At least give the option to run with a time limit or not, especially for solo players.

• audiboysg
    1 posts

Is anyone equally or if not more, aggravated by the fact that they removed the cargo drone option in the 5.6 update!?

It was the saving grace of this mode of the game, I would keep trying to play solo until sometimes the cargo drone appears and I have some sense of accomplishment with the mode. It also provides an opportunity to accrue more packages in that run so that I could get more Z creds for the next runs.

Ubisoft, how about letting us play as Aiden, Wrench, Darcy, Helen, Mina in the zombies mode too? It would definitely increase its replayability.

Can you imagine Mina mind controlling a horde of Zombies?! That would be epic.

Or Wrench's captain boom boom making a horde "betray" and go after other hordes.

Seems a lot more fun honestly.

I've provided feedback on the ease of the game too. It is way to unbalanced. There needs to be some kind of "difficulty" slider for a solo mode to let us decide how tough we want the level to be.

• T1gerAssAssin
    175 posts

Umm, I do not intend to put anyone down.

But seriously lotd is super ez, solo way ez since don't have to revive someone.

Time limits?
    I usually have like 6-8 minutes left after collecting 8- 16 supplies.

Weather makes it harder,

Its buggy and boring but definitely not all that hard.

Maybe try crouching and slowly walking to remain undetected.
    Also 1 shot to head all you need, though I prefer a hammer or pipe.
    Climb to stay safe, swim to stay safe, keep distance, walk to opposite direction fire rounds to attract then double back and slip by.
    Camera and ctos drones do good for distract the cars are unbelievably fragile but if you don't hit things it lasts.

Instead of jumping to ground, loud, maybe use a box or something so drop not so far.

Hope anything is helpful. GL

• A1R50FT-10
    468 posts
    @esolomon09

Are you sure that's the case? I've played LOTD and at all times (for me), the mission fails when all players are downed, not when only one player is downed

it seems like this has since changed

• A1R50FT-10
    468 posts

@t1gerassassin i find that you are right with everything you've said there. LOTD is easy until the weather conditions are foggy and the extraction point is the drone facility lol

• ArmitigeShanks
    1 posts

Wow, sounds like they just spewed this game mode out without making any effort to fix it after the alpha. All the issues that were present seem to still be present, except they appear to have removed some stuff that actually made this game mode fun. Yeah, it's a free game mode, but I'd complain just as much if a giant dump truck full of human waste pulled into the driveway of my house and the guy driving said, "Hey, it's free right?"

Such a shame because this game mode had the potential to be fun, but it was just a super frustrating grind for a piddling amount of coin to MAYBE get an upgrade that might make you're life a tiny bit easier in the game.

• Rogue_Serpent
    13 posts

@t1gerassassin Having to play solo to make it through is not an enjoyable way to play this game for most of us.
    The cooperation and strategizing as a team adds enjoyment but in its current state this doesn't work out well.
    By the way, the zombies still sense you most of the time even when you crouch stealthily.

• A1R50FT-10
    468 posts

@cyanidal187 that's only when you stealth in their sight. Otherwise they don't detect you. (That's my experience)

• T1gerAssAssin
    175 posts

@cyanidal187 in my experience, unless your full stick while within range and crouching they must be facing you to notice or you made a sound like walking through some stuff.

• Rogue_Serpent
    13 posts

@t1gerassassin Okay, I should try that out. Can you explain what you mean with "full stick"?

• an_t0ny86
    13 posts

@rogue_serpent full stick = pressing d pad all the way, making the character move faster, while half/lightly on the d pad making the character move slower.

In short :
    Full stick = running
    Half stick = walking

• Rogue_Serpent
    13 posts

@an_t0ny86 Ah, thanks. I figured as much.
    But instead of D-Pad it could also be thumbstick I reckon.

Suggested Topics