ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Asterix201252
    Original poster 345 posts

The new trade union items for orchards that reduce the amount of forest that you need don't seem to be working correctly: Hand Pollination Method, Get Rich Quick Volume I, & Optimized Pruning. The total amount of Forest Density effect is +60%, and the total extra productivity is +55%. The total forest density change is therefore the same as it is for the items that that affect Wood and Charcoal in the Old World: Teutonic Technical Secateurs, Druid's Sickle, Industrial Thresher. The footprint of an Orchard is the same as the footprint of a Lumberjack's hut.
    I therefore expected that a layout of 20 tightly packed Lumberjack's Huts around a single Trade Union that works in the Old World with every Hut working at 100% base efficiency could also be used for 20 Orchards. However, this isn't the case. I find that several of the Orchards have Base Efficiencies well under 100%.

Has anybody else tried this yet?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Isabel_Ringing
    10 posts

@asterix201252 I've tried it just this evening and I can confirm that I am not getting the same results as I do with the woodcutters/lumberjacks. I could only put 6 orchards in - that's about half of the woodcutters I can easily get into a TU area. (you say 20 in a TU area, eh? Gotta try that)

• Asterix201252

Definitely not working properly. I ran a controlled test yesterday.
    I made one of my 20 Hut areas in Cape Trelawney, Trade Union equipped with Teutonic Technical Secateurs, Druid's Sickle, and Industrial Thresher. As expected, every Hut showed a Base Productivity of 100% with a Productivity boost of 90%, giving an overall Productivity of 190%. Output was 152 tons/min as expected.
    I then deleted all the Lumberjack Huts and replaced them with Jam Orchards. I replaced the Trade Union items with Hand Pollination Method, Get Rich Quick Volume I, & Optimized Pruning. This should have resulted in a Base Productivity of 100%, Boost of 55% and Overall Productivity of 155%, with a yield of 62 tons/min. What I actually got was Base Productivity ranging between about 60% and 80%, always a boost of 55%, and Overall Productivity between about 90% and 105%. Total output was 43 tons/min, so about 70% of what I expected.
    Conclusion: Either Jam Orchards need more forest density than Lumberjack Huts (unlikely since they have the same footprints), or one or more of the Forest Density effects of those Trade Union items isn’t working (more likely).

• Isabel_Ringing
    10 posts

@asterix201252 as to the lumberjack huts.... have you posted your layout (20!) anywhere? I'm curious as I haven't managed more than about 14 or 15 with my designs yet.

• Asterix201252

@isabel_ringing

To be totally honest, they aren't actually mine. I found one version of it a long time ago on the old forum https://www.reddit.com/r/anno/comments/bqiafr/maximum_hunting_cabincharcoal_kiln_layout_28/. I make a version with 20 Luberjacks, not 21 that the author says. I think these were done several updates ago. I find that the Hunting Cabin one only works if you remove the four nearest the Trade Union. I never got the Charcoal Kiln one to work, maybe it would be the same, you need to remove four near the TU.
    I found the other on the Anno Layouts website http://www.annolayouts.de/index.htm?lang=en: (http://annolayouts.de/index.htm?lang=en). I haven't used this one, so can't be sure that it works. Some of the layouts on here are a bit theoretical. I have my doubts whether it will work with the internal Warehouses. If not, you can probably double up on the external ones. This also has a Charcoal Kiln layout that does work, and you can get huge amounts of coal, especially if you have a Power Station covering it.
    With all these layouts, use brick roads otherwise you will have big problems getting everything to stores.

• Asterix201252

I ran a test earlier today on the Anno Layouts version with Lumberjacks, It worked absolutely fine with the four internal Warehouses. In fact, you need at least six medium (maybe large) warehouses and brick roads to make it work properly at maximum Lumberjack output. 152 tons/minute is a lot of stuff to move around.
    At the moment, I still only need a few Orchards, but I'll let you know what I found out. I have at least found a space on my island to lay it out.

• Asterix201252

It looks like the maximum that I can get in with base productivity of 100% is 10 out of the possible 20, with the middle Warehouses missing. With the middle warehouses & fire stations present, 9 of the 10 have base productivity and the other gets 87% So basically you can only get about half the density of orchards to what you can get with lumberjacks. This would seem to be consistent with the possibility that the items are not adding any Forest Density effect (should be 60%).

Would appreciate feedback from Ubisoft whether these items are working as intended, and for some reason you can only get about 50% of the factory density with Orchards compared to Lumberjacks, or whether there actually is a bug.

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts

Hey @Asterix201252, thanks for getting in touch and sharing your insight on the matter - I can see you've done some in-depth research to it, so do mind that it did not go unnoticed and we very much appreciate you effort.

I have forwarded the information you've provided to our development team and as soon as we have more information on whether it's working as intended or if there will be any additional information we may require for reproduction purposes, we will let you know.

Official Response
  • Wuschel523
    12 posts

@isabel_ringing

at annolayouts.de you can find the most optimized layouts for all productions. Very helpful site! Available also in English.

except it still shows the 20 orchards, which doesn‘t work.

• Isabel_Ringing
    10 posts

@asterix201252 Thanks for the links. I'll try that 20x lumberjack hut but I have my doubts. Right now I have docklands filling in any shortage.

• Isabel_Ringing
    10 posts

@wuschel523 thanks. asterix201252 had also provided the link. 2x a recommendation, the site was worth checking out. 😄

• Asterix201252

@ubi-karl
    Thanks. I also have game saves and screen shots if the devs ned them.

• Asterix201252

@isabel_ringing
    Both of the layouts work fine with lumberjacks. I have run them both with 20 huts, and consistently get the theoretical 152 tons of wood. The limiting factor is actually storing all the wood. Have Large Warehouses and Stone roads.

• Ubi-Thrupney
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2677 posts

Hey @Asterix201252 , and everyone else who had insights to share on this!

Our devs have looked into this, and I'm here to report that this is working as intended. Lumberjack huts and orchards work differently, and this is why a difference can be observed.

Please let me know if there's any further thoughts or questions, and happy farming/woodcutting 😎

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-thrupney
    Thanks for your reply, although I must say that I found it slightly surprising. I recognise the devs say that it is working as intended, but I would appreciate some further knowledge to assist in developing an alternative high density layout for orchards.
    Orchards and Lumberjacks seem to work the same in a small layout of four production units round a single warehouse. Based on this and the assumptions in my post of 5th September, I had expected that a 20 Production unit layout for Lumberjacks, such as that shown on the Anno Layouts web site at http://www.annolayouts.de/layouts/holz.png which works fine for Lumberjacks, would also work for Orchards when using the three TU items that boost Forest Density. As discussed, I have discovered that, with Orchards, you can only place alternate Orchards in that layout and still get 100% base productivity on all (10) of them.
    This would suggest that either the TU items for Orchards are not boosting the Forest Density properly or Orchards require something over twice as many trees within the production footprint to reach 100% Base Productivity compared to Lumberjacks.

I continued my experiment with 20 Lumberjacks and 10 & 20 Jam Orchards. Adding the three TU items in turn, starting with the one with the highest effect, I noted the following Base Productivities. All figures are approximate, because it varies a little between production units:

So, with 20 Orchards, Base Productivity starts the same as for 20 Lumberjacks, which seems to suggest that they use the same baseline Forest Density. The first boost seems to work about the same, taking account the slightly lower 1st boost for Orchards. However, it seems that the second and third boost are not stacking properly for Orchards
    So, I would like to ask the Devs if this is actually what was intended, and if so, how should I calculate the stacking of the three items differently for Orchards compared to Lumberjacks. Or is there a bug? I would be happy to share screenshots if it would help..

I'm sorry this thread has got a bit long, but something just doesn't seem right here.

• Ubi-WheelyDuck
    Ubisoft Support Staff 976 posts

Hey @asterix201252,

Thank you for explaining this in such detail.

Would it also be possible to share the screenshots that you mentioned so we can take a look?

Many thanks,

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-wheelyduck
    Sure. I think the easiest way is probably to raise a ticket and attach them. I'll let you know the number when I've done it.

• Asterix201252

@ubi-wheelyduck
    I have raised ticket number 15402615 to pass the screenshots to you. There are 20 in all. I thought I could only attach 10 files to one ticket, so it says "Here are the first 10", but I found I could add more files if I edited it. If there aren't twenty files, let me know.

I hope the devs can work out what's happening.

• Asterix201252

@ubi-wheelyduck
    Uploaded additional videos to the ticket

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1252 posts

@asterix201252

Thanks. We'll get back to you on that case shortly.

Official Response

Suggested Topics