ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• mugenishere
    Original poster 4 posts

I tried out this game on the free weekend and loved a couple of things.

• Graphics are awesome
    • Gameplay is quite fun. 

It reminds me of Tropico in many ways - resource generation, islands, city management... Except that:

• You don't need construction offices ( an awesome change - I used to hate creating / destroying them)
    • Distance from houses doesn't make any difference (this is slightly more arcade type and a lot more fun - this was another extremely annoying thing in Tropico)
    • Warehouses are more like portals - goods don't need to be moved between warehouses (Another absolutely awesome gameplay - fixing another annoyance from Tropico)
    • Quests are a hell lot more fun than Tropico - in the latter, it's just "kill him", "do X" - here there's an emotional backstory for why you're doing something
    • No time limit (Yet another annoyance with Tropico games - I used to hate that ridiculous time limit for every quest which just kills all the joy and turns it into another corporate job instead) - here you can take your time to explore things
    • Happiness is a lot more consistent - created the X, Y building? People are happy! There you go! This engages me a lot more than Tropico (In Tropico - even if you created a Pub/Church or other building each would cover only a few houses around it + each needs several workers + very high maintenance - and still people would be unhappy - extremely irritating in Tropico!)
    • Resource generation happens much faster than Tropico - (in the latter it's compulsory to make at least 3-4 buildings / industry)

So overall I am in love with this game! Great job to the whole team who worked on it!

However, that said there are a couple of things in this game that prevent me from buying it or continuing after Artisans stage (AKA Things that I don't like about this game): 

• There are almost 80+ resources? Isn't that crazy? Every world unlocks like 12 new resources that you need to start gathering X 7 worlds to unlock. I can't imagine the hell that future worlds are going to be.

• Too many labor classes! 7 classes are okay. But to create 1 class you need to create the base class and then convert that to the higher one? Like this, you stack up 6 times? That is completely insane!

• Managing other islands is a pain in the @$$! Think about it - colonizing another island means you're completely doing the whole 7 class stack/80+ resources - everything again from scratch! That's another pain point. A better option would have been to be able to build whatever building you've already constructed on island 1. I get that resources are independent but I'm just saying that in-between all the micromanagement it's hell to do everything all over from scratch. It becomes like office work instead of a fun game.

• Transferring items between islands - another pain. Holy [censored] you need to charter your own boats! Plus they're extremely costly and they transfer $#it for that price and time. Might as well buy resources from other islands which brings me to the next point.

• The other islands - they're always lagging behind you in resources so that you cannot trade from them. You need to generate everything yourself. Very annoying! 

Not positive here and I could be wrong about this but I won't be surprised if it turns out that during the war times suddenly they'll all be geared up and caught up with you. It's like "I won't collaborate with you on an equal level but if you've progressed a lot I will suddenly be a demon incarnate to stop you".

Overall it was a very fun game because it fixed several annoyances that Tropico had. However, it adds its own annoyances that are no fun. 😞

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Suggested Topics