Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• dreken4
    Original poster 3 posts

I was just wondering if others are having crap loots lately, Elites and Bounties not so bad, but regular loots are just so very crappy lately, is it just me.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• tcarlisle2012
    72 posts

Now this is something that hasn't been discussed.... lol.

In all seriousness, no. No changes anytime recent that would affect the loot and RNG.

What tends to happen, though, is when you are wanting a certain drop you can almost always count on not getting it.

The quicker you get it out of your mind, it will drop.

Seriously.

• Virtual-Chris
    454 posts

Play harder difficulty to get better loot, so you can play harder difficulty to get better loot. 😄

But seriously, I agree, I play Challenging since Heroic is just Sponge-Bob and the loot is absolutely horrible. It is actually very demotivating. If the loot drops were a bit better such that I got one item a session that was maybe max-rolled, it would be worth it. But I play a few hours a day and maybe get one max-rolled item a week on Challenging. I'm at the point where I'm only optimizing gear I have now. Anything good comes from season rewards. I should just ignore dropped loot, except my OCD compels me to pick it up which I invariably trash later as it's all junk.

• LateNiteDelight
    336 posts

@virtual-chris stop looking at the bars, and start looking at the numbers. The loot is probably better than you realize quite frequently. The bar isn't zero to max, it's min to max.

Granted, everyone's RNG and drops are different, but I usually find the streaks are just that, and then I get a hot hand for a stretch that makes up for the slump. Though I also look at loot as it will be post-recalibration.

At this point [SHD1150], I rarely get upgrades to drop - though I reckon I get a well rolled [subjective] item 1 in every dozen or two on Challenging. Sometimes those rolls just come with poorly matched brand/weapon/talent/attribute.

• echolecter
    55 posts

The way I see it is that the whole loot system has been altered, few months after release of WONY, to make it a lot worse for players and the question is why. In the past you could find great items everywhere (!), not only on the harder difficulties or activities. What happens now is when playing in groups, you will see more drops. Harder difficulty tends to drop better stuff, but still barely any maxed out items. All this due to complaints made by people that felt their 'hard work' didn't pay off. And they fell for it ...

Then they came up with optimization, making maxed out drops irrelevant because now you can (and need to) maximize items yourself by playing longer collecting all required materials. So in the end we're left with a loot system (pretty much feels like gambling) where you don't get anything useful. But hey, if you play more you might get it next time, only it doesn't happen so you spent even more time in the game.

But loot in The Division is quantity over quality, the more you get the better chance you have for something good, and always have been like this. Why it needs to be so bad is a question of why, I guess they want players to keep coming back hoping to find that piece they need. Earlier posted comment somewhere where I said, "we are playing garbage collector with guns".

• Virtual-Chris
    454 posts

I’m not a hard core grinder… I rarely farm for loot. I need more of a reason to play than that. I want to play to accomplish a goal, a project, a reward track, a manhunt, a series of missions, something. The problem is, I want to try different gear, builds and play styles when doing these things for the Nth time. But the loot system makes it so hard for me to put together an effective new build, that it’s almost hopeless. It’s very demotivating. The hard core grinders may be happy, but I’ll get bored and move on before I get to min/max a number of builds because the loot is garbage. It took me over 450 hours to get a Pestilence. Now how long will it take to get a fully optimized build to synergize with it. Too damn long. 😞

• ociwap
    8 posts

There are days when after 5-6 hours for heroic difficulties, the best loot is from regular chests in the open world (sometimes even with maximum stats or with one stat to improve). This can already be frustrating and funny. I'm not a beginner, my level is over 3000. A few examples.

• LateNiteDelight
    336 posts

@echolecter they specifically changed loot with Gear 2.0 because of all the complaints about Inventory Management.

They reduced Quantity, but increased Quality [boosted the floors]. Farming for gear post-WONY has been noticably better. Like night and day, now I won't quit, better. Granted, some of that had to do with them removing the moronic gating of talents that had carried over from Div1.

But, a majority of the vocal folks always need something to complain about, so they switched from "too much crap" to "rainbows everywhere". Seems the rainbow has been toned down enough to get back to folks not understanding that loot won't scale with their collection, and them purposefully misunderstanding they will naturally find RNG worse and worse as their GS and stash get higher quality.

I still get mildly annoyed at RNG, because I have pieces I want so I can test ideas - but I can't think of a better system that would work in a game with so many variations. They solved the biggest problem by introducing The Summit where you can select your own targeted loot, and unlocked all the directives to boost your chances of getting it.

Take this all with a grain of salt though, as I'm here for the shooting. I like seasons because it gives me goals. I like the Manhunt because it solves the "what to do now" question for me. I only tolerate the Loot, because I need it to make the builds I want to use [hence why I keep pushing for Hardcore to become "Immersive Mode" instead].

• ociwap
    8 posts

This is also not a question of loot quality. I get the impression that they put all the talents in backapack and body armor together. Previously, however, specific brands had a specific talent pool. I don't remember that typically offensive brands (Ceska, Providence, Sokolow or Gruppo) had typically technical abilities. But that was a while ago and I may not remember.

• LateNiteDelight
    336 posts

@virtual-chris fortunately for you, the Pestilence works with any build 👩‍🏫

Agreed the Loot aspects, and the associated RNG are annoying. Just like me not getting the F'ing BOSG-12 from the Breakpoint Raid after I sucked it up and played their dumb GS mode for chance at using my favorite gun from R6S. The crappy downsides of a shooter being a looter-shooter. I would have bounced off this game immediately if the rest of the game didn't make up for that large con.

Fortunately, when playing on Hard or Challenging, it's not imperative the stats are great - remember your fisherman's tale! And consider grouping up if you're getting annoyed by the speed of farming. I reluctantly caved eventually. Not only did my gearing up accelerate, but I also found out I enjoyed playing in a group more than I thought I would [granted, this was a clan with regulars, not random MM].

• Virtual-Chris
    454 posts

@latenitedelight

Yep… I need to keep reminding myself of the fisherman fable 🙂

I’ve stopped focusing on loot. I just play for the shooting and focus on optimizing the gear I have. Incidentally, I now have all the optimization blueprints, so Titanium is the most precious resource LOL. I have to roam the east mall every session to farm materials.

• echolecter
    55 posts

@latenitedelight Well obviously you haven't played a lot at level 30 after the expansion was released. Loot has dramatically gotten worse for players without the DLC, or if you're not progressing by going to New York. I had my hardcore character at GS514 and after an update you struggled to even find anything above GS490, whereas before I had no problem getting many variants of GS515 builds.

From my point of view they also didn't have to implement 2.0 gear because I actually liked to initial setup. Want more of this, you loose some on other stats. You actually had to think about what to use, and setting up combinations of talents were a lot more fun then what we have now. But yeah, apparently some people found this to difficult to handle. Inventory management is still a huge pain in the butt ...

• LateNiteDelight
    336 posts

@echolecter I have not, so that's a good point! Though I did just start a new character, and I'm up to level 15, so I guess I'll find out soon.

I 100% disagree on Gear 2.0 though. I hate pip-gating. I was on the precipice of quiting because I was getting tired of RNG making it nearly impossible to get the exact combo I needed [I don't have a lot of gaming time], finding out a great idea could never be tried, and the atrocious inventory management it required. I literally had a giant spreadsheet showing the possible pip drops for every gear piece for every brand to try and piece together potential combos. It was asinine, not better - there was no more thought required, just dumb hoops to jump through. Besides, most people just played one of a handful of overpowered hybrid builds. I still miss my Nightwatcher/ZeroFs/FirmHandshake OP Spotter/Pyromaniac build, same for my High-Noon Pistol & Diamondback build, and I know many that miss their Seeker Easymode build - but all the nice QOL improvement with Gear 2.0 more than make up for losing those and then some.

Gear 1.0 made RNG even worse. Not letting me use talents because of X number of pips was stupid. It is dumb in TD1, it was dumb in Gear 1.0, it is dumb in any game that does it. Gear 2.0 opened up many more build possibilities, and increased player power - while forming new potential group build synergies.

• dagrommit
    501 posts
    Well obviously you haven't played a lot at level 30 after the expansion was released. Loot has dramatically gotten worse for players without the DLC, or if you're not progressing by going to New York. I had my hardcore character at GS514 and after an update you struggled to even find anything above GS490, whereas before I had no problem getting many variants of GS515 builds.

Ah, the dangers of anecdotal evidence. I leveled up a new character just over a month ago, and had no issue putting together a GS505 build before heading to NY. People did complain about the L30 drops immediately after WoNY, but that hasn't been my experience recently.

From my point of view they also didn't have to implement 2.0 gear because I actually liked to initial setup. Want more of this, you loose some on other stats. You actually had to think about what to use, and setting up combinations of talents were a lot more fun then what we have now. But yeah, apparently some people found this to difficult to handle.

A gear revamp was necessary because of how punishing the RNG was. It was almost impossible to find pieces that met the criteria for any build ideas. Some people liked that grind, but it turned most people off. Gear 2.0 isn't perfect, but it's far less punishing than the original.

• echolecter
    55 posts
    Ah, the dangers of anecdotal evidence. I leveled up a new character just over a month ago, and had no issue putting together a GS505 build before heading to NY. People did complain about the L30 drops immediately after WoNY, but that hasn't been my experience recently.

Oh well ... So because you didn't have any problems collecting gear this surely has to apply to everyone else too. Going back to the old forum there are many, many threads about changes to loot drops and not a single one of them praised the changes made. In general they are mediocre at best and I can only agree with that.

• xcel30
    259 posts

Trying to get what you want from RNG from mind powers will only result in a headache

• LateNiteDelight
    336 posts

@xcel30 one must make sacrifices to please RNGesus! Otherwise your hopes and dreams fall upon deaf ears.

• dagrommit
    501 posts
    Oh well ... So because you didn't have any problems collecting gear this surely has to apply to everyone else too.

The same could be said of you - that's what relying on anecdotes is. Hence "that hasn't been my experience recently".

• Oatiecrumble
    281 posts

There was a loot change, i think it was in 8.1....it was clearly obvious, posts/threads all over the web but Ubi did not say anything about changes in the loot system.....which IMO caused trust issues.

BUT...........

Loot in the game is in a decent place right now, you get better rolls on harder difficulty (makes sense) and then there is the optimization station to max out them stats so it's a win win situation.

At the end of the day it's a loot based game, you want the best rolls play the highest difficulty and use the optimization station IF you want max rolls (which is not really needed for the content in this game).

• Rodnaz
    61 posts

@oatiecrumble There was a loot change, i think it was in 8.1....it was clearly obvious, posts/threads all over the web but Ubi did not say anything about changes in the loot system.....which IMO caused trust issues.

I have not so fond remembrances of that time frame - plus my weapon power went up & down like a roller coaster. It went down then up then back down again over the course of 3 or 4 days. It was idiotic, they lost my trust & respect. Now I just play knowing nothing good will likely happen at least not anytime soon.
    To the OP, yes loots are crappy, best get use to it.
    I failed on the quote but you all get my drift.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics