Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ADarklore
    Original poster 175 posts

I'm curious to know what players consider the best defensive runes? Heavy resist, Light resist, Melee resists, +Armor, +Health, or +Evasion?

Right now I'm running only resist and evasion runes and it seems to be working quite well. Yet, I've been wondering if other runes would be better? I know a lot of people say +Health, but when you have a fully leveled ration pouch, health becomes less of a problem and taking less damage seems to me to be a better option. Yet I've always wondered if +Armor would provide better protection against damage than the resist runes.

If someone could answer this, I'd appreciate it.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TheNorfolkian
    608 posts

@adarklore I think this question is highly subjective to player preference, but if your play-style involves a lot of dodging, maxing out on Evasion is the way to go. For the longest time I was using the Iberian set with the Mentor Rune and Evasion Runes on everything. I rarely, if ever, got touched by an enemy up close as the extremely high Evasion rating helped to avoid most attacks when dodging, and using spears helped kill everything at a distance anyway. As for close-contact combat though, I would sometimes deck out Thor’s set with Thor’s Rune and Armor Runes on everything, or even combine it with the Brigandine set for extra Armor in heavy combat situations. I have never really messed around with Melee Resistance or other resists, so I can’t speak to those.

Regardless, in an attempt to see how much real damage Armor helped prevent, I suited up with the Taranis set for full-contact combat and paired it with the Brigandine set. Please note that for this test run, I fought these enemies on the Aesir difficulty with the Nightmarish level scaling enabled.

• ADarklore
    Original poster 175 posts

@thenorfolkian I find that with resist runes, even when taking damage, I don't lose much if any health- other than archers because I don't use any 'range resist' runes. I think I have five heavy resist, four light resist and three or four melee resist and probably four or five evasion runes... all 'great' versions. I'm running a combination of Nifleheim and Mentor armor... so I have a very high crit and attack rate... and this seems to be working quite well. I was just wondering how other people were running defensive runes. Funny how you search google for 'best runes' or whatever... and you get people somehow believing they are experts, yet recommending completely different things with no rationale as to WHY they picked them other than 'they sound good'. Readings some opinions on the best weapons... and I cringe. Have people not read the perks? So many perks are specialized- you either have to be specialized in parrying, dodging, constantly using poison or fire, etc... while rarely are people picking weapons that just WORK without specializing. Same could be said about gear- sometimes I think these people pick favorite gear best on appearance versus actual combat practicality (at least until the transmog was added).

Suggested Topics