ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Oatiecrumble
    Original poster 475 posts

Only asking for two reasons:

1st: TD series is my favorite games of all time.
    2nd: I ain't seen any evidence to say there is going to be a TD3.

I would love to see some clarification......just some light at the end of the tunnel would suit me fine.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• dagrommit
    894 posts

Short version - way too early to tell, but I'm not expecting one for at least 2 - 3 years.

Long version

• Fact: Massive currently have both Star Wars and Avatar on their plate. Note that the Avatar movies have release schedules through 2028.
    • Fact: Ubisoft strategy is to invest in more F2P games, reduce the frequency of new premium games, and increase the lifespan of their back catalog
    • Fact: Division Heartland is F2P, and Red Storm is still hiring people to work on it
    • Speculation: the announced "year three" content for Division 2 will be intended to last for one year (i.e. four seasons)
    • Speculation: additional content for Division 2 will be green-lit if "year three" is successful

If Heartland is a success (by whatever criteria they use), I can see Ubisoft supporting that as the main "Division" branded game while Massive work on their licensed franchises. That would mean a new premium Division game could be many years away.

If Heartland is not successful, the decision on whether to produce a new premium Division game is up in the air. Ubisoft might consider it a black mark against the franchise, but the success (or otherwise) of the year three content could also affect their thinking. Similarly, the success of the Avatar game could mean Massive are tasked to continue working on that franchise.

I don't expect "Division 3" to come out for at least 2 - 3 years. Partly because Massive and Red Storm are working on other things, but also because it would take that long to develop.

• DutchLMB4ever
    303 posts

@oatiecrumble
    There is no evidence that we get Div3.
    Unless we would count the conversation between Schaeffer and a woman after you killed the Hunter in Schaeffer's mission.
    They talk about how the Hunter was one of Sokolov's men.
    But I think that conversation is a hint that Sokolov is gonna be the Manhunt in the new content.

Although I'm hoping we only gonna see Sokolov's men that break out Scheaffer.
    So we get Scheaffer as the Manhunt again.
    And then we get Sokolov in Div3.

But if the new content in Div2 isn't about Hunters at all, we could have a Div3 with the Hunters as the end game enemy's like the LMB/BTSU.
    And Sokolov as the new General Bliss/Keener/Scheaffer.

• xcel30
    689 posts

Not so soon, team from what i heard is spread thin over multiple projects (star wars, avatar, Div 2 restarting) so don't think they have the manpower to work in a Div3 so soon, it would require at least 3+ years from today. They could give it to another studio such as red storm as they have done with heartland but nobody can be so sure at the moment, after all whats the point of constnatly make "game as service" kind of stuff to drop it in an year or two max? that pretty much contradicts what it's meant to be

• LateNiteDelight
    1015 posts

Honestly, I don't really care whether it's TD2 or TD3, I just want more content.

More missions, more Strongholds, more Manhunts, more Hunter's, another game mode, more map.. makes no difference to me if it's another WONY like expansion or a whole new game.

• Merphee
    61 posts

Definitely, it's just a matter of time.

Division 2 is still being developed for last gen consoles. Can't be held back by them forever.

• Adrian-11
    881 posts

As @dagrommit said it, the most favorable situation for a potential TD3 would be Heartland tanking and the new TD2 content be very successful.
    Most likely, the tanking or success will be measured in $$$.
    That predicates TD2 new content to be a fully fleshed add-on, asking for a commensurate price. Another season or apparel won't cut it.
    With Heartland, is even sketchier... Will rely on cosmetics and seasons, which will need the PVP/DZ aspect to be popular, which means it must be FUN no matter the level or the gear of the players. And current DZ is not fun, at least not for me and it seems not for many others. Even without the cheats, glitches and door gankers, the DZ PVP degenerates most of the time in players running in circles in a small footprint, doing the chicken's dance... not much strategy or tactical depth, or fun. If Heartland goes the same way, I don't see the majority enjoying that kind of "gameplay". The higher risk is that Heartland would sink the franchise in the blurry eyes of the short-sighted Ubi decision-makers.

• LateNiteDelight
    1015 posts

@adrian-11 I don't think it's an either or thing - I think Ubisoft finally realized it's more cost effective to follow the R6S/Hitman strategy:
    Put a lot of work into building the initial game, then use that as a platform to expand upon for years.

With the high upside of a F2P game capturing the zeitgeist - it's a risk worth taking [with more support than the weird Hyperscape]. XDefiant looks geared at the COD/Valorant/TF2 market, Heartlands geared at the Fortnight/Apex/Scavengers market. I hope they also are dumping all their PvP efforts into those games, freeing up resources for more PvE content in TD/Etc [keep DZ though]. They just need to get a foothold with enough streamers and have that be compelling to watch - then plenty of opportunities for people to show off their cosmetics, plus some tournaments [they know how to run Siege, they should do a mini version for Heartlands].

So hopefully what we get is new TD2 content this winter, Heartlands in the Spring, and then more TD2 content on a 6 or 12 month cycle pushing out [or dribble it out quarterly like year 1?]. As noted by dagrommit, I think we're at least 3 years from TD3 due to Avatar & Star Wars. I figure once they get the base of Star Wars built, they'll move the builders to TD3 while they fill out the framework on those.

• Adrian-11
    881 posts

@latenitedelight

I saw a lot of Fortnite and Apex in XDefiant, but I guess it's a diff discussion...
    I would like to hear from the people that were in the Heartland test (apparently, we are allowed to share impressions about XDefiant, but no images, recordings, etc.... wondering if the same applies to Heartland).
    The "roadmap" still shows Heartland before the TD2 content, but also the novel is out (if it's the Audible one), so who knows at this point...

I said before, I don't mind TD2 living on for another 2 years, as long as we get more content, and by content I mean more than what we got with the seasons, I mean Year 1 and WONY like content.
    And they also have to do some essential patching... bugs, glitches, new content-ready groundwork (no forced-a55 "pre-season" glitch fest). Perhaps some new tech added to the engine, like DLSS, not to mention working with Nvidia to fix those damn graphic artifacts in the new drivers.

• dagrommit
    894 posts
    As @dagrommit said it, the most favorable situation for a potential TD3 would be Heartland tanking and the new TD2 content be very successful.

That's not what I said. Heartland's success or failure is just one factor in whether TD3 happens and when. A successful "year three" for TD2 could equally result in "year four" as it could TD3, regardless of how well Heartland does.

Hence "way too early to tell".

Addendum: it was five years between Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Wildlands, and nine years since the last Splinter Cell. Point being, Ubisoft have history in letting franchises idle for awhile.

• TxDieselKid
    289 posts
    Short version - way too early to tell, but I'm not expecting one for at least 2 - 3 years.

This. I would expect something in 2024-ish.

Realistically, the content coming for Div 2 will be the "get though" to 2022, with nothing else new. For the franchise, there's Heartland, which should push out the next main title release at least 18 months, so now you're talking backhalf of 2023, or early 2024. I would expect the first tease for TD3 would be L-A-T-E 2022, but more around early 2023.

Think of the new God of War coming out. The last one came out in 2018. The next one was first announced in late 2020, and we just saw our first glimpse of it last week (2021). YET!!! We still don't have a release date....

Let that sink in, and then consider the timeline for when you expect the next major title Division.

• Oatiecrumble
    Original poster 475 posts
    Definitely, it's just a matter of time.

Division 2 is still being developed for last gen consoles. Can't be held back by them forever.

This is the answer that feels me with joy ☺

Suggested Topics