ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

I still find it baffling that Anno 1800 will fill all available physical RAM the moment it finishes loading my Save File (16GB's), I watched it with Task Manager, the chart shows RAM usage rapidly increase for the duration of the loading screen until all RAM is exhausted at which point gameplay commences.

It effectively means that while the game is running, anything else I do on the PC or anything a background process does, will need to page data from RAM to the Paging File on your HDD/SSD to make room for the new task (a very slow process that results in stutter/lag each time data needs to be paged).

Open a new tab in Firefox? Game data needs to be paged out from RAM to the Page File to make room for it, load a website in the tab? Data needs to get paged out, scroll through a website that dynamically loads assets? You betcha, paging needs to happen to fit the content in to RAM.

The game only needs 6GB's to function (this is the amount of game data that can't be paged), they just let it use the rest as a cache which imho is bad design as it hinders general usability of the PC.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

@nicholas_steel Video of Task Manager monitoring RAM usage while the game is loading:

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

@nicholas_steel Well I'll admit I was wrong with the game needing only 6GB's as i've recently observed the game using over 7GB's of Private Active Working Set RAM, it potentially increases with the number of Sessions you unlock (as well as what you do in the sessions). Still, it would be great if there was an option to limit the amount of Working Set RAM (not the same as Active Private Working Set) it uses.

• Humility925
    142 posts

Even they gave this option limited, game would be stop and crash to desktop, this game is very demand of computer's power than some or most game, I think. Yes, seem DLC come out, it's no longer based or mini, require now higher once player used DLC, even without DLC, but patch as well, they add stuff patch, and this game isn't old, it's new. 16GB is kind of old and no this game need more than 6 gb, 6 gb is for old game in 15 year ago. Computer Tech always changeing and upgrade every year or so ever since computer come into market.

I suggest upgrade RAM, like 32, I had 64GB upgrade from 32GB to ensure new modern game run smoothly, Anno 1800 is new modern game, it's only come out 2-3 year ago and DLC come out couple week ago, still support, changing all that, I just want upgrade 64GB for this game and totol warhammer 2 loading faster as well, not because I want best of best computer,No, (it's never last long) but want game run beautiful and smoothly then most important run with no issues, well other than game's bug, that is belong to company's problem who need to fixed or patch .

I don't think that would help you even they gave this option, it's would computer stop the game and crash to desktop at that point reached. And this game easy reached 16GB Ram very fast once loading the game, is why I had to be sure 64GB RAM, some think it's may overkill, but I don' think so because I did ran 32gb RAM in past and felt it's not run smoothly at all. so I upgraded and hopeful it's run smoothly, and it's did, but of course there other issues.
    But I fear this game can't run 6GB, this is not 1990 to 2005 game, this is 2018 to 2021 game require higher power than before because new game.

• Lion_053
    334 posts

@humility925

A game which needs 6 GB in 2005? Never ever. Computers at this time were 32bit-systems, supporting less than 4 GB RAM --> 64bit FIRST introduced in 2003 (AMD) / 2005 (Intel). Even if you managed to get your hardware up to more than 4 GB RAM your operating system coudn´t use it (if any, then only useful for paging).

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

@humility925 They can have the game use the Page File sooner, instead of exhausting all physical RAM and leaving very little if any for anything else to freely use without paging.

• xn-d
    7 posts

@nicholas_steel This game is very demanding to RAM, 16 Gb is not enough to run large saves with all 5 developed regions. I wouldn't advice to run any other programs on background alongside with Anno 1800, at least until you have 32+ Gb. You should be able to play the game comfortably without upgrading (assuming that you have SSD assisting with pagefile) but running another RAM-hungry software like Chrome will kill the PC performance and would cause higher wear for SSD. I don't think that it would be ever possible to reduce RAM consumption for Anno 1800 without rewriting the whole engine, after all it's a simulation game.

• Humility925
    142 posts

@lion_053 Ok, My memories was fuzzy and blurred, it's been long time since that time.

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

@nicholas_steel I did it! I got the game to use less RAM (am in the process of testing game stability but it seems fine). I used this program https://github.com/lowleveldesign/process-governor: (https://github.com/lowleveldesign/process-governor) plus a batch file (run as Administrator) with the below command to limit the Working Set memory to approximately 9GB's:

"D:\Anno 1800\Bin\Win64\procgov64.exe" --minws=1M --maxws=9G -r Anno1800.exe

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

@nicholas_steel I supose I should also mention that you can create a Shortcut to the batch file and configure the shortcut to launch with administrative rights, if you wanted to place a shortcut on your desktop.

• Nicholas_Steel
    Original poster 82 posts

@nicholas_steel UPlay Connect must first be run as an Administrator, and then Process Governor can launch the game with the specified restriction loosely applied.

• Jamin-Josh
    3 posts

I am experiencing this is another game about city building on Steam and it is just impossible to play it!!! The problem we have is that very few affordable computers have the ram built in off the shelve - so for people like me who likes to plug and play - I stand no chance when they games start demanding more and more ... I bought a very very expensive "gaming computer" but it only carries 8GB RAM, which 2 years ago was OK but now with everything in the cloud and numerous new patches - we just cant keep up. The question is thus: Why cant games be completed as a stand alone before going to market? It seems that more and more studios designs a basic model of a game to a working level and then just keep on patching it to death and therefore making it impossible to play. Back in the day we had CD's and we knew from the minute we loaded it - that was it!! No more demands on anything!!

Suggested Topics