Unsolved Experiencing random crashes when the 'World Details' setting is set to Ultra High0 Likes/15 Replies/777 Views
Playing on PC with 5900x, 16Gb Ram, 6800xt.. So I'm loving this game but I've been getting random crashes to desktop with no warning which is extremely annoying. can happen during raids, and sometimes it happens just walking around.
I've monitored my ram and vram usage and both are normal, I've repaired game files and even did a fresh install of the game, and even lowered the resolution and this still happens!
anybody have a fix for this?
I have a few areas i can go to in mercia where it will crash 100% if i go there, so its easy to test out fixes
Ubisoft Support Staff Ubi-Milky 3040 posts
Hello qu1ckset thank you for your post.
Did the game crash and close itself down, did the game display a black, blue or white screen, did your computer restart itself, or did the game completely freeze so you couldn't control anything?
For the crashes you are experiencing, I would recommend the following steps -
- Verify the game's installation files, through the game launcher, to fix any corrupt or missing files that may be causing the crashes
- Run the game as an administrator via the game's .exe file, right-click on the file, select Properties, select the Security tab, check to make sure the current PC user has Administrator privilege's for this file, as not running as Admin can sometimes cause several problems and can stop the game from being able to save > https://www.ubisoft.com/help?article=000060505
- Update GPU drivers and Windows OS to latest version (Windows 10 update currently Update 21H1 - Windows 11 not currently supported)
(Updating Windows will also update any supporting software the game and launcher needs such as DirectX, Visual C++ x64 and .NET Framework 4.5)
- Disable all background software in Task Manager and try a clean boot/restart of your PC, in case any software is interfering with the game -
- Lower the graphical settings in-game for each graphical setting, then slowly raise each setting back up after playing for 5 minutes in a crowded area, to you find a compromise where the game may not be crashing
- Make sure the game is whitelisted as not a threat in your anti-virus software, in case it prevents the game from launching or connecting online
- Make a backup of the games config/settings file, then delete this file in case a recent change to the settings may be causing the game to crash (Changing the recommended graphics/video/monitor settings in the game, can sometimes prevent the game from launching)
- Install the game to another HDD or SSD drive preferably, if available. Also try installing the game on a separate hard drive as your Windows OS (Make sure to back up any game save files onto your desktop first, just in case)
- Do a System File Check (SFC) for any corrupted system files and a CHKDSK for any corrupted hard drives -
This support article should explain how to perform some of these solutions -
Please let me know if you need any help with the steps above and I will happily explain further.
Sorry for the late reply...
The game crashes to desktop Ubisoft gives me the option to send the report of the crash
So things I tried and did not work:
- Deleting and Reinstalling the Game
- Verifying Game Files
- Updating Drivers for GPU
- Updating Windows OS
- Updating Bios
- Running Game as Admin
- Checking Firewall/Anti Virus
So after a ton of crashes and restarts going through all in-game Graphics settings, the setting that prevented my system crashing to desktop with all other settings set to ultra on 4k was turning down "World Details" from Ultra High down to Very High. I literally tried every other setting and this seems to be the only thing that makes it crash
So after figuring out Ultra High setting for World Detail is the culprit, I tried more trouble shooting to make sure it was that setting. I tired graphics present on Low, Medium, High, and Very High with World Detail set to Ultra High and it crashed to desktop on all presets. So clearly you guys broke the Ultra High setting for World Detail on the last update, would be awesome if you guys could find a fix for this as this greatly effects in game graphics fidelity!
Ubisoft Support Staff Ubi-Borealis 6078 posts
Thanks for the update, @qu1ckset, and for letting us know more about what troubleshooting steps you have tried.
Just to clarify, these crashes only occur when World Detail is set to Ultra High only? If so, could you please provide us with some additional information to include in your report to the development team:
- You mention that there are a few locations you can visit in Mercia where the game will consistently crash. Can you let us know what these locations are? This will be helpful for further testing.
- You mention that the crashes are "random." On average, how long can you play for before these crashes occur?
- Would you say these crashes tend to happen more often in "busy" areas, such as during raids and in cities where there are lots of NPCs? It's possible these crashes are happening more commonly when there's a lot of activity happening on-screen, so it would be helpful to know if this matches your experience.
This information will be helpful for the development team when if comes to reproducing the crashes you're experiencing during testing. In the meantime, I would recommend using an alternative setting for World Detail, instead of Ultra High.
Yes for the crashes to occur it has to be World Detail set to Ultra High only. I have one save where it will crash in the same spot or leaving this same spot everytime, the spot is in Meldeburne in the tall building with a chest and 3 cages you can open to release prisoners, so leaving the spot the game will crash everytime.
for the other "random" spot its just walking through an area, if it crashed there, it will crash in that area everytime! but without Ultra High for World Detail it doesn't, and these are busy areas either, can be just walking through a forest or something.
I have found another area that made the game crash differently ever with World Detail turned down. Well on the mission "Tilting the Balance" Travelling from "Venonis" to "Offchurch" when almost there bit more towards the left like directly south of where the curse mission thing is the game would lock up, while still hearing sound and then eventually crash to desktop with no crash report option. to complete this mission i had to travel by boat and come from the shore to not get crashes.
this is getting tiresome and breaking immersion, if i find one more bug i might but the game down till the next patch.
Ubisoft Support Staff Ubi-Mark. 2623 posts
Thank you for your detailed report! I passed it along to the development team for the ongoing investigation. Once we have an update, we will let everyone know through the patch notes.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this and if you have any additional questions, please let us know.
Beamer69 4 posts
@qu1ckset You might not need to try all of them; simply work your way down until you find the one that gives you luck.
- Make sure your specs meet the requirements
- Verify the integrity of game files
- Install all Windows updates
- Update your graphics driver
- Lower in-game graphics settings
- Disable peripherals
- Reinstall Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
Ubisoft Support Staff Ubi-Keo 4278 posts
Hi @farmaken I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing crashes in Assassin's Creed Valhalla.
Could you take a look at the PC troubleshooting article and run through all the steps listed then try again if you haven't already done so. The support article contains some of the most common fixes for crashes, freezing, FPS drops and more.
Also have you tried lowering the World details settings? Do you only encounter the crash when that option is set to ultra high?
If the issue persists please let us know.
Ubisoft Support Staff Ubi-Karl 1534 posts
Hey @Farmaken, thanks for the update and sorry to hear that issue persists.
Just to get a better idea about this, may I double-check whether you've noticed any tendencies as far as crash is concerned, such as whether it occurs in any particular location, any particular action or is it completely random, as long as you have 'Ultra-High' settings on?
Let us know and we will take it from there!
Nubbs008 4 posts
Recently purchased the Ragnarok DLC, (which was very lackluster imo)
After picking the game up again, I've had the Details set to Ultra High as well, just like everyone else. High end rig. And my game has been crashing randomly. Does not matter the save. I have 2 separate game saves for 2 entirely different games, and it crashes on both, randomly. Can be 30 mins, can be 2 hours. But it will crash to desktop without an error and ask me to send an error report which I've done each time. If the option is lowered, it does not happen. Although Texture popping is still a thing....
Like the others are wondering, why is this still a problem? And why have they not fixed it? Simply remove the option for Ultra High World Detail, It clearly does not work.
Also increase the mipmap load rate so textures stop popping when close to the camera... Not sure what's so difficult about that. I was able to change the mipmap myself on Witcher 3 and many other games that had texture popping.
These crashes don't matter which location. No actions performed. It's random.
Ubi-Oxavo 804 posts
Hello @Nubbs008 and thanks for your report. I am sorry to hear about the random crashes and I understand you tried to load the game from the previous save also.
As a technical support we can not remove the option for Ultra High World Detail, but we can pass on your feedback to the development team.
I assume you play on PC therefore could you please let me know which steps you have already taken to remedy this issue. The more information you can give regarding your experience, the better equipped I am to assist you.
We look forward to hearing back from you.
MugwortGod 1 posts
I would also like to put my 2 cents in on this. At first, one crash, and I had like 20 tabs open on chrome so I chopped it up to that. Im at about the 40ish mark for hours played. But now Lunden comes up and boom. Crash. There is a random texture pop that happens and like 5 seconds later, crash. Nearly the same specs as OP, except I have a 5700x with 64 gigs of ram and a regular 6800. I'm still in the process of following everyones "steps towards a solution." Ill be so [censored] to return to the franchise after 8 years to find a good title that isnt playable at launch msrp.