Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Juvantei
    Original poster 2 posts

I recently got a new PC, an HP Omen. I7-9 series CPU, 6GB graphics, 16GB ram, etc.

I put everything to low settings because I just want the gameplay and smooth FPS.

The problem is that the CPU keeps overheating to between 88 to 97 celcius. The game has crashed 9 times within a 100hours of playtime.

I just got done with the Irish DLC and was about to continue the main story.

So i decided to clean out my heatsink. It had no dust in the heatsink itself but the CPU was caked with dust underneath.

Ive done this many times before. Cleaning the dust and replacing thermal paste. But I screwed up and killed the motherboard.

The computer is coming back this week from repairs.

Can anyone give me help on reducing heat for this game so I don't have to repeat this problem again?

I think the overclocking did it. It went up to 4.6ghz. I was going to try reducing CPU power to 80%-90% when it gets back.

I'm worried that my fps stability will be thrown off though.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• YazX_
    174 posts

what type of cpu cooler you have? is it intel stock cooler??

• Juvantei
    Original poster 2 posts

@yazx_ Yea, sadly most of the prebuilt best buy pcs don't come with the fancy coolers.

I'm not computer savvy enough to build my own or have anyone to put it in for me.

• YazX_
    174 posts

@juvantei i was expecting this, however, let me give you some tips on how to proceed to eliminate the heat.

1. Throw the stock cooler out of the window because its so bad (especially intel's ones, AMD ones are far better) and go get a proper cooler, you can get Notchua or cooler master hyper 212/evo, cooler master is pretty cheap and does a great job, if you can spare some money, then go with AIO water cooler like cooler master MasterLiquid 240mm (or any brand but i'm currently using this and its been gr8 so far), in all cases, you should measure the dimensions of the cooler that you are going to get and make sure it fits and can be mounted in your case as HP cases tend to be small as far as i know.
    2. Dont overclock unless if you know what you are doing, its not about CPU multiplier, voltage and temps, there are several things involved as well, one of the most crucial things is your Motherboard and the VRMs on it, you could easily kill your motherboard if you push voltages beyond its specs, some motherboards have solid VRMs, cooling solutions over them and protection against overheating and over-voltage, but these kind of MBs cost some chunk of money and i doubt the MB you have has all of these features since its a pre-built HP PC.
    3. Reset your OC settings in bios to defaults and keep it at stock, mount the new cooler and setup the fan curves based on CPU temps (you can do this from BIOS if its supported or from the software for your cooler).
    4. most of times, voltage settings for the CPU is configured higher than what it needs in BIOS, its done like that to guarantee the CPU will run at specs no matter how bad the silicon is, this will generate more heat, its a good practice to start lowering CPU voltage a notch each time then test system stability using prime95, from my experience, you need to run prime95 blend test for at least 8 hours straight and better to leave it for 12 hours, if it comes back without errors then you are good to go, so with each time you lower the voltage, run prime95 and see if your system is stable or not until you hit the right voltage for your CPU, this will vastly reduce heat. i know this will take days to accomplish since prime95 needs to run for alot of hours, but patience is the key here, keep your patience and dont rush things.
    5. if you insist of overclocking which i dont recommend for your current setup, then after step4 when you reach the right stable voltage for your CPU, repeat step4 but this time increase the voltage and CPU multiplier a notch until you reach the desired overclock, i DONT recommend you go too far with overclocking as you might kill your motherboard as i stated in step2, so maybe going 200-300 Mhz above stock is more than enough.

one last note, you dont need to be a tech savvy to build your own PC, there are tons of videos on YT to teach you how to assemble a PC, linus tech tips have several videos like these and i recommend you watch them, and there are too many forums out there you can seek for help if you run into problems, it takes some time to build your own PC for the first time but it will be very satisfying, convenient and alot cheaper, you should give it a try.

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 681 posts

@yazx_

Thanks for the assistance in this thread. Much appreciated!👍

@Juvantei

Once your PC is back from repair and you've reset the CPU clock to factory settings if you continue to experience crashes and your CPU temps are more stable please let us know but hopefully you'll be up and running soon. Thanks!

Official Response

Suggested Topics