Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• procadman
    Original poster 76 posts

Comparing "Valhalla" to "Origins" (6 times through "Origins"/350+ hours on "Valhalla"):

...The term "treasure" is a bit misleading and disappointing in both titles, but the "Treasure Hordes" are a real bummer in "Valhalla";
    the maps are a bit hard to decipher and their contents aren't worth much. The only reason I can see to find them is to get the ever-elusive 100%.

...Premium weapons were much easier to obtain in "Origins"; especially through Reda, whose "Valhalla" rewards are really skimpy in comparison.
    (I'm sure the majority of us settle on using one each of the 3 styles of bows, especially since the various versions are very closely rated and are mainly
    separated by a single perk.)

...The game is much harder to control aiming (this is not a complaint.)

...Senu was much more valuable than Synin; the ability to highlight/track enemies, for example, and hover mode in "Valhalla" is very erratic.

...Unlike "Origins" you cannot use any weapon on horseback other than a bow; Also, the bow-on-horseback perk appeared to be built-in from the beginning,
    and getting that particular "skill" point was unnecessary. The ability to jump from a moving horse is tres cool but I can't seem to attack anyone directly while
    using this function.

...I cannot get the skill that allows you to leap over an enemy when they are in "red" mode (the unblockable attack) to work.

...The starting area graphics of "Valhalla" quickly became very boring, not because of Ubi's wonderful attention to detail but because of their attention to being
    true to life. The maps became much more interesting and enjoyable once Eivor moved to Mercia.
    Nearly every scene in "Origins" was beautiful; almost too beautiful at first.

..."Valhalla"s Mercia map is humongous; I have only been to certain areas once. Even though the "Origins" map is huge it never required anywhere near
    the hours to complete, compared to "Valhalla". (This also is, by no means, a complaint (Unless you ask my wife) I have enjoyed nearly every minute of it.

There are way too many new features in "Valhalla" to mention; I still see things, daily, that amaze/surprise me. I've even thought of starting a Community list entitled "Today, while playing "AC: Valhalla", I..."
    ...while confirming a kill, I saw a bird fly in slow motion.
    ...while performing a dual-wielding spear combo I decapitated an enemy.

I bought this title (number 10 in the AC genre for me) on the advice of a Ubisoft tech support guy after several chat conversations regarding a bug in "Origins" that appeared after a PS4 system update.

"Valhalla" Gameplay was rough at first, compared to all my other titles, but after ~20 hours I decided it was very good advice and after 350+ hours my opinion has not changed.

Completed:
    Storyline
    The Order
    All hunter deliveries
    Settlement
    All Ingot chests found
    All standard Raids

All but 2 of the fish deliveries
    Have attained Gold level in 70% of the Master Challenges
    90% of mysteries solved (a couple of Cairn and one offering are left)
    90% of artifacts found (a few flying notes are all that is left)
    1st 2 river raids finished; starting "Lugh" raid
    5 of 6 Hidden One documents found
    99% of material chests found

Still having sex with 2 different women (this may cost me in the long run) 😉

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• procadman
    Original poster 76 posts

..SPOILER ALERT...A BIG let-down is one of the storylines allowing the bad guy to win. This was nearly as disappointing as Shadya's death in "Origins".
    (If I understand correctly the storyline endings vary.)
    I understand this is being realistic but this realism is upsetting. There is no way in "Valhalla to avenge the character's death.
    In "Origins" Shadya's death affected me all 6 times I completed the game. But, I was able to kill every soldier, both Roman and Greek, that I encountered after that incident.

• procadman
    Original poster 76 posts

Almost forgot;
    "Origins" allowed the character to carry 2 bows and to easily switch back and forth.
    "Valhalla" is very cumbersome in this respect.

• Kormac67
    821 posts

@procadman
    Origins scenery may have been beautiful, but the NPCs looked terrible.
    I found the quests boring.
    I couldn't relate with the dude even a bit (I played Odyssey and Valhalla as female) and quickly abandoned Origins. Really sad that you were to play as Ayla in the first design and then some old geezer who never had heard of Tomb Raider or HZD said "girls don't sell" and ruined the game. 😞

• procadman
    Original poster 76 posts

@kormac67 "Origins scenery may have been beautiful, but the NPCs looked terrible."
    Having started in the 1980s, when NPCs were god-awful, I didn't have any issue with Origin NPC cosmetics.

"Really sad that you were to play as Ayla in the first design and then some old geezer who never had heard of Tomb Raider or HZD said "girls don't sell" and ruined the game." Hey, watch it! I'm an old geezer, relatively speaking 😉 Ayla is a huge part of the storyline and you have to play as her character for quite a while. An especially challenging mission is to kill Julius Ceaser. You are used to having lots of perks and powers and, BAM, you're back to being human again 😉
    My guess is you can't choose her as the main character because it didn't fit with the storyline.
    (Personally, I thought she was great. My granddaughter is into cosplay and I showed her screenshots of Ayla in the hopes she would imitate that character.)

• Kormac67
    821 posts
    My guess is you can't choose her as the main character because

Guess again. It is as I said. An Ubi manager declared "girls don't sell" and ordered the game to be male centered.

• paddy234
    9 posts

Origins had immersive lore that equally represented the diverse cultures In the game in a rich manner. It felt like one of the more serious assassin's creed games. Valhalla is an anti Christian mess that tries to capitalize on the popularity of Viking culture which in turn highlights why this is the most shallow and pretentious of Assassins Creed game. A cool hack and slash game. Easily a 6/10. Even for an Assasins Creed game, the historical representation of the Viking and Christian cultures is laughable. I'm waiting for an Assassins Creed next when you fight on the side of Stalin who is portrayed as the rightful defender of freedom and justice lol.

• longjohn119
    787 posts

@kormac67 For me Valhalla and Odyssey are exact opposites as far as characters

In Odyssey I loved Kassandra because she sounded so natural and Alexios always sounded forced and kind of fake

In Valhalla I prefer the male Eivor because he sounds so natural and female Eivor sounds forced and fake

I believe a lot of this comes down not to the voice actors but the direction because the voice actor for the female Eivor sounds nothing like the character in the game in the other things I've seen her in .... Same way for Alexios' voice actor although I liked him as Deimos especially the speech on Mt Taygetos at the end of the family storyline but as the protagonist the voice just didn't work for me a lot of the time and I believe that came down to direction not ability

• procadman
    Original poster 76 posts

@paddy234 Well...back in the day, the second Star Wars title released by Lucasarts for the PC, after "X-Wing", was "Tie FIghter".
    When I used to comment to friends about certain aspects of the game, they would question why there was a game for playing on the "wrong" side.
    I replied that "It all depends on your perspective or the planet on which you were born 😊
    One man's freedom fighter is another man's insurgent.

• Kormac67
    821 posts

@procadman Yeah, and it was awesome when you got a mission where you could fly together with Darth Vader. 😄

• VirtualAwesome
    75 posts
    My guess is you can't choose her as the main character because
    Guess again. It is as I said. An Ubi manager declared "girls don't sell" and ordered the game to be male centered.

Do you have actual proof of this?

• VirtualAwesome
    75 posts

For me, the comparison just proves that more is not always better. I preferred Origins to both Odyssey and Valhalla. This game may be more expansive and have more things to do, but that is actually its undoing, in my opinion. Even for as long as it has been out, there are still a lot of bugs. They overreached. Controls are too unresponsive to add elements like the flying papers and animus glitches. The weapons and skills systems are more complex but are actually less enjoyable than previous games. The storyline isn't very compelling. I would actually prefer them to take longer to develop a deeper, more immersive game than to rush out another bloated title.

• procadman
    Original poster 76 posts

"The ability to jump from a moving horse is tres cool but I can't seem to attack anyone directly while using this function."
    Update:
    I was able to get close to an enemy and received the attack option. It all makes sense now.
    Also, as a bonus, I received a trophy for my efforts 😉

Suggested Topics