Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 621 posts

I think Golden Bullet is the most fun I’ve had with this game. I suspect I’m not alone.

It proves to me that you can have a PvE looter shooter with lots of build diversity without completely unrealistic levels of sponge. I mean OP builds are still OP. Nothing changed there. Mediocre builds are now very effective… nothing wrong with that either.

Am I right or way off base?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Oatiecrumble
    299 posts

It's fun but i would not like to see it a permenent thing, bit gimicky, there is bullet sponge in the game but not as bad as some say, get the right shot and they all die very quickly.

• dagrommit
    645 posts
    Mediocre builds are now very effective… nothing wrong with that either.

Ehh, that's where things get dicey. Continuously improving the effectiveness of their builds is why many people continue playing. Removing that motivation (by making mediocre builds as effective as they are under golden bullet) would kill the game quickly.

• Virtual-Chris

@oatiecrumble

Just to clarify, I’m not suggesting Golden Bullet be permanent. It is a gimmick. But what it does demonstrate very well is that the game still works just fine with less sponge. Even if the sponge for each difficulty was lowered to that of the difficulty below (Challenging became like playing Hard) it wouldn’t impact the game at all except to make it more fun and realistic.

• LateNiteDelight
    447 posts

@dagrommit that's why it could be.. say.. a better version of Hardcore mode .. maybe call it .. hmm.. Immersive Mode? 😳

For those of us that don't play to grind minor build improvements.. sponge is lame 👩‍🎤

• Virtual-Chris

For those of us that don't play to grind minor build improvements.. sponge is lame 👩‍🎤

LOL. That’s one one way to put it. 😄

• Noxious81
    368 posts
    (...) Even if the sponge for each difficulty was lowered to that of the difficulty below (Challenging became like playing Hard) (...)

In this case I'd suggest simply playing the difficulty below.

For what reason should all difficulties be lowered to the difficulty level below if you are always free to choose a lower (or higher) difficulty?!

• SevenNVD
    75 posts

In this case I'd suggest simply playing the difficulty below.

I agree with this. The game already offers 4 (for 3 missions 5) difficulty settings. That's enough room for playing and improving mediocre builds.

While I don't see it happening with this game, it would be cool if harder difficulties come from other things beside AI aggressiveness and extra HP. Even with a group of 4 players the maximum amount of enemies around you feel like 15-20 at max. Playing solo I have usually 8 NPC's around me at best. I'd love a difficulty option where you face a lot more low level AI at the same time, say 30 red bars storming at the player for example.

• Imagine_Brata
    172 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Imagine_Brata
    172 posts

@sevennvd I would like to scale up the NPC as a directive (example) for 2-4 players when playing solo, to get more enemies. Now it's fun when I trigger convoy, elite patrol, elite convoy at the same time, as I take over the Control point (CP4).

• LateNiteDelight
    447 posts

@noxious81 and I do normally play on Challenging for this reason, but I want to fight better enemies without the Sponge. Currently, there is no way to fight enemies who hit harder and more accurately, without accepting a metric ton of garbage sponge.

Difficulty should be determined by AI: how accurately they fire, their timing cadence, how they reposition, how they coordinate, how they flank/push. Sponge is lazy and frustrating [though likely linked to weak consoles at launch].

• dagrommit
    645 posts
    Playing solo I have usually 8 NPC's around me at best. I'd love a difficulty option where you face a lot more low level AI at the same time, say 30 red bars storming at the player for example.

The limited number of NPC's is down to last-gen consoles not being able to handle this:

• TxDieselKid
    149 posts

I think GB could be simi-permanent, kind of like Kenly. Maybe once a month you have the option to turn it on, because as a seasons thing it just doesn't come around often enough. Too many people absolutely love it to keep it gated in that manner. I know the thrill of it is because it's not typical, but no need to only have it once a quarter.

• Imagine_Brata
    172 posts

@virtual-chris An alternative is to have the "bullet sponge" option on/off in the "world difficulty settings" for those of us who like it

• LateNiteDelight
    447 posts

@imagine_brata this is why, I've beaten a dead horse over just re-making Hardcore into the kind of game @Virtual-Chris and I are talking about 👩‍🏫

I've also highlighted Breakpoints Global Parameters setting that could allow for something in this vein. Though that would be more for TD3 than TD2. Likely the same for above.

• Virtual-Chris
    @noxious81 and I do normally play on Challenging for this reason, but I want to fight better enemies without the Sponge. Currently, there is no way to fight enemies who hit harder and more accurately, without accepting a metric ton of garbage sponge.

Difficulty should be determined by AI: how accurately they fire, their timing cadence, how they reposition, how they coordinate, how they flank/push. Sponge is lazy and frustrating [though likely linked to weak consoles at launch].

Exactly.

The other stupid thing (IMHO) about this game is that loot quality is tied to sponge level. If you want anything other than garbage gear, you need to play against super sponge enemies. Some people will say… there needs to be greater rewards for playing tougher difficulties. Sure… more XP. Loot quality should be the same across all difficulty levels.

• dagrommit
    645 posts
    If you want anything other than garbage gear, you need to play against super sponge enemies

With the way item power works in this game, not really. Higher difficulty means a higher minimum item power, but how that it is distributed across attributes matters just as much. Pieces that only require one recalibration to turn into a god roll are possible on lower difficulties, albeit rarer.

• Adrian-11
    687 posts

@virtual-chris

If you want all your loot to be in the 90+% rolls , then the way to go is farming the Summit on Legendary, which is a challenge and takes time. The sponge is similar to Heroic, but the AI is much more aggressive and hits harder.
    If that's too much, then the optimization is the way, again taking time to get those optimization caches or materials to craft the mats.
    It's a zero sum choice, either way it will take time (much more time if you play solo).

• Virtual-Chris

I don’t want this thread to devolve into another discussion about how to farm better loot… I’m well aware of the options given the current game.

But I wish it were different. With Golden Bullet I can play Heroic difficulty and get much better loot while having better TTK than I get on Hard Difficulty. I still go down if I make a mistake, sometimes more quickly if the enemy has the Golden Bullet.

At least for me, the TTK in Golden Bullet and how quickly I go down when they have the Golden Bullet is like Perfect Glass Cannon on steroids. I love it. Rather than mag dump someone in the face, it only takes 10 rounds. I can actually kill 3-4 reds with a single 50rd mag. Wow! Still unrealistic as hell but much more tolerable.

Chances are that I will stop playing after the next two weeks when this event ends or I will have to go back to playing Hard because I’m spoiled now. 🙂

Bottom line… I want better TTK and less sponge without sacrificing loot quality or difficulty… add more enemies that take less damage. And the best part is, this event proves it’s possible… it doesn’t break the game, and it seems many people feel it makes the game better. Ubisoft… take note!

• LateNiteDelight
    447 posts

@virtual-chris Right, seems like an odd disconnect:
    • We must have Sponge, because Looter!
    • We love Golden Bullet, it is so much more fun!

Now some of that is surely the higher RPM/WH, but if we toned down the enemy armor/health scaling, it sounds like most people would have more fun. Add a directive that implements extra scaling [like how old Heroic was permatuned for 4 people] for extra XP for folks that enjoy it.

Suggested Topics