Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TORFINR
    375 posts

In Origins and Odyssey NG+ made sense: revisiting forts, cleaning again military camps, redoing the hundreds of secondary quests...
    but in Valhalla, very few forts/military camps after all, and zero secondary quests.
    You really want to replay the mysteries? For my part, no thanks. And the main story was ok, but just ok. Not a single "wow!" moment as I had while playing Origins for example.
    And as for leveling the skill tree, ... in all seriousness, it's imho a waste of time, as we are already half-gods. Besides, there are no "builds", everybody has the same Eivor in term of skills.... compared to Odyssey it's a joke if not an insult to our intelligence.
    Valhalla is a fast food game, you play it, you uninstall it. By essence it is not meant to have the depth of an Odyssey.
    By concept it's an old adventure game of the 90s, with a "Game Over", a NG+ wont make it better.

• ADarklore
    Original poster 175 posts

@torfinr I guess I replay for the exploration aspect... and being able to explore while having all my high level equipment (Gungnir/Gae Bolg) would make it a lot more fun. With Odyssey, I just love replaying to make Kassandra so OP that I wipe everyone out without trying... and I play on EASY mode. Yeah, that's how I love to play, I HATE 'challenge'... I'm all about exploring and questing. Even most of the side quests in Odyssey were fun, but Valhalla, not so much... at all. Odyssey was just so much fun to explore, everywhere was beautiful... Valhalla is just grimy and dark.

• longjohn119
    784 posts

@torfinr I want a NG+ so I can record the main story without all the time wasting grind ruining the continuity of the video .... I doubt anyone wants to watch me spending 10 minutes or more in every fort or monastery solving the puzzles just to get some upgrade loot. In Odyssey when I needed to grind for resources I could just do it between episodes and only have to do it 3 or 4 times mainly to gather leather which is out of balance in the game, the leather costs for upgrading rises much faster than the amount of leather you get per kill but once you reach tier 3 on the merc ladder and get that 50% upgrade discount it's not as much of a problem again. In Valhalla there isn't jack squat for armor sets, only two for archers (wolf) and only the first one you get is worth a damn so once I got it I never used anything else. Tattoos other than facial were completely worthless since everything is covered up except your face. It really ticked me off when I found out Ubisofts idea of a "treasure hoard" was a new tattoo, I was expecting a lot more than just another tattoo I would never use ..... I didn't even bother with Transmog although by the end of the game I had plenty of silver but 50 per piece was too steep to even try on different pieces just to see how they would look. Haven't done any river raids or mastery challenges because they just don't sound all that rewarding and are bug ridden. I played a little Odyssey last night and I couldn't believe how much smoother the parkour is than Valhalla where it seemed like I was always fighting everything, getting stuck and having a hard time getting on a ladder to go down, and one thing they brought back I always hated, getting sucked into haystacks if you get to close. I did like the sprint ability and the dodge was crisper but those are the only two things it had over Odyssey as far as basic mobility

• ADarklore
    Original poster 175 posts

@longjohn119 I fully agree on the parkour sucks!! "Hey look, a wide open window, let me climb in. Wait, stop jumping above the window, no, just drop down to the window ledge, now up inside, no, not above the window, get INSIDE the window!" Yeah, this happens so often it's a royal pain.

As for the tattoos, you do know you can HIDE gear, correct? I actually found wearing the Reaper hood from France and hiding the chest, hiding the bracers, while combined with Einherjar pants was a pretty awesome look. Actually found a Jomsviking for my lieutenant on my second playthrough that had a similar look. This way I get to show off my arm tattoos and flashes of chest and back tattoos as well. I just haven't found a good FACE tattoo... I saw a video that someone had a great face tattoo but I have yet to come across it in the game.

On my second playthrough, I am not even all that eager to run around and get all the gear or abilities because most of them are worthless anyway! I think the funnest one is the RATS ability you get from France, or the Harpoon "Get over here!" ability which is pretty awesome too, and Dive of the Valkyries. Otherwise, the Explosive Arrow and Mark of Death are my most used abilities. The others, I don't even have all four slots used. Although, main reason for that is I cannot FISH if I have the 'triangle' button mapped for an ability... it conflicts with me having triangle as HEAVY attack. It didn't use to be the case, but somehow one of their updates messed it up... go figure... yet another accidental FUBAR by the devs. So I had to map ability 1 to L1 and then not put any abilities in that slot. 😞

In Odyssey, we may have been swamped by the ton of gear drops, BUT, at least they could be useful. I remember searching for certain weapons with the best traits... instead, in Valhalla, it's our gear that is the Achilles heel. BUT, apparently they found that people are willing to PAY for the better gear, which is how I ended up buying several pieces from the store. Compared to what you get in-game, the store items tend to be superior- depending on if you want to grind to upgrade the in-game gear, or wait until "end game" to get the best weapon which is Gungnir IMO. I know I waited to play Ireland and France until after I got Gungnir, but I have to say, I honestly didn't feel any more powerful with Gungnir combined with Gae Bolg than I did with Fyrd spear combined with Areadbhair.

• longjohn119
    784 posts

@adarklore I'm a KISS type of player, I find something I like and I use it though the whole game .... I only used two armor sets the entire game, the Carolingian set which I think was an Amazon Games reward from Amazon Prime at the beginning and then the Hunter set for the rest of the game. (Only decent archer style/ light armor set in the game) I only used a shield until I got the duel wielding ability and then I went with two axes the entire game. I used mainly the Hunter Bows and I had two of them one for regular use and one for Bosses which had 2 +4.0 for Elites Runes, I don't remember the advanced Rune I used off hand but it had a built in fire faster after hitting a weak spot, a Predator bow and the Spartan light bow ... I didn't really use bow abilities all that much mainly poison, the exploding arrows for blowing open walls for getting to chests, and the one where you could shoot through walls which I mainly used on archers in towers where I couldn't get a clear shot from the ground. For Melee fighting it was mainly the Dive of the Valkeries which I used a lot. My system for fighting Zealots consisted of getting them out in the open with no one around, start with the predator bow and get in 3 or 4 hits, switch to the Boss Killer Hunter bow and start going for head shots and weak points until I stunned them and then come in and pummel them with the Flight of the Valkeries .... Part of the reason I seldom used abilities with the bows is so I'd always have a full 4 bars of adrenaline for the Flight of the Valkeries .... I always go for light armor ..... Skyrim, Witcher 3, Valhalla .... I'm going for light armor and quickness and quick flurries of offense and lots of dodges which is also why I don't use any slow two handed weapons either .... I never use shields ... Skyrim, Origins, Valhalla .... They just slow me down and I didn't miss them one bit in Odyssey

Suggested Topics