ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• SofaJockey
    Original poster 372 posts

The review embargo drops at 7.00am Eastern, Noon UK, 1.00pm Europe.

Counter (and soon reviews) at OpenCritic: https://opencritic.com/game/9783/far-cry-6: (https://opencritic.com/game/9783/far-cry-6)

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• LaMOi
    162 posts

@sofajockey

What are we expecting.

I'm expecting 7/10 and above.

• LaMOi
    162 posts

First review I’ve seen. Nothing particularly revelatory.…

The biggest indictment being that it’s all a bit familiar, and it’s just more of the same. I actually don’t mind that, I’ve actually always enjoyed far cries gameplay loop, and I’m perfectly happy then just adding to what was already there.

But he mentioned something about the whole holstering the weapon mechanic — which takes me back to my point about the games difficulty. And this is why I’m always rattling on about this.

He said the whole holstering mechanic, he suggests ends up being a bit superfluous.

So here’s my point, when a game is hard, it forces the player to take advantage of all the games systems, tactical options and features the game has in order to overcome what would otherwise be incredibly difficult odds.

And the converse is true, when the game is too easy you don’t need to bother with all these other mechanics and features. Which is really sad given the fort the devs put in to adding these things…

So here’s hoping that the game has a significant challenge, that then gives greater significance and purpose to all the games features and options forcing the player to utilise these.

• SofaJockey

As a reminder, these are the metacritic and opencritic ranges from the past iterations:

• 88-91 - FC2
    • 80-82 - Blood Dragon
    • 80-85 - FC4
    • 74-77 - Primal
    • 78-82 - FC5
    • 71-75 - New Dawn
  • SofaJockey

Reviews are largely between 7/10 and 9/10 with an average just under 8/10.

One of the better Far Cry games if somewhat repetitive because it's the 6th Far Cry game.

That works for me.

• LaMOi
    162 posts

@sofajockey

I post this guys review, generally because it was a little bit more insightful with regards to gameplay. And I was also eager to know how challenging the game was, and this guy is review was one of the only reviews that mentioned that. He said the game remain fairly challenging..

Most of the reviews that I’ve seen so far so the gameplay is really good. The negatives being the changing of ammo types required to take down different enemy types, seems to be something that doesn’t completely work.

Also a lot of the reviews mention the tone of the story, and that tone jarring with some of the goofy characters and action.

I’m not that bothered about story in video games to be perfectly honest. If it’s a good story then great. If it’s not a particularly interesting a well written story then I generally just skip the cut scenes, it’s not really a dealbreaker for me. I’m more about the gameplay…

• LaMOi
    162 posts

• SofaJockey

This one sums it up well for me (it's not short)

• KrayZee_
    94 posts

@sofajockey I stopped caring about review scores when a reviewer got fired over his own opinion in 2007. I began to learn to appreciate games because forming your own opinion is more important than relying on someone else's. Expectations have also grown so unrealistically high to the point of ridiculousness, both user and critic reviews have become irrelevant to me.

• katzenkrimis71
    229 posts

Luke Stephens Review: Definitely not sitting through Luke's review. The guy is on Quaaludes. It takes him two hours to recite a bloody sentence.

His review is so epic in length that it needs to be done in Chapters. A one-hundred hour review. I don't have time for it.

Skill Up Review: I stopped listening to this idiot years ago. He likes some of the worst games ever created, and he defends them with a morbid passion.

I gave him three minutes to make his case on this game. All he talked about was how this game is the same as all of the previous games. That doesn't help me, because I've never played a Far Cry game. This is the first Far Cry trailer that ever piqued my interest. Skill Up can crawl back into his dank cave.

Openworld Games Review: He's a Far Cry fanboy, with pom-poms and paraphernalia, so that's never a good thing, but he did touch on some interesting points.

Dynamic weather, bounty hunters, a fleshed-out end game with weekly unique enemy insurgencies, third person cut scenes, gameplay implications for riding a horse. All of which sound interesting, although, I don't think that I'll play this game beyond the curtain call, so extra end-game material might not matter to me. Unless the game turns out to be ridiculously good.

Downward Thrust Review: This guy skipped most of the cut scenes, so he's the opposite of a fanboy. He may appear to like the game, but he has an underlying hatred for it, which would best be described as boredom. He's tough to listen to for a newcomer because to him everything is described as samey.

His review is probably the best of the bunch, though. He touched on the game having only two difficulty levels, an interesting levelling system, the possibility of it being challenging, the ammunition not always being effective, and the fact that it is a good shooter when compared to other good shooters.

====

Reviewers have never decided my purchases. I just need gameplay footage to decide for myself. YouTube is a gold mine of footage.

This is a purchase for me, and I hate first-person shooters. There is something oddly intriguing about it.

Canada makes good video games. They are visually impressive and entertaining. And they are getting better every year because we spend a lot of money schooling our kids in game development. This one is no exception. Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft Quebec, Eidos-Montréal with Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Immortals and Rainbow Six. PGA Tour 2K21 by HB Studios in Nova Scotia. On the West Coast EA Vancouver has been tearing up a storm in the sports genre with NHL, FIFA and Madden. Metalhead Software's Super Mega Baseball, which is just down the street from where I live in Victoria, which EA just purchased. Relic, in Vancouver, with Company of Heroes and Age of Empires IV.

And many more, including a bunch of crappy mobile games, like IUGO's Walking Dead: Road to Survival, which we are not proud of.

Oh, Canada.

• GameGuru2018
    185 posts

Keep that in mind.

It takes time for a real people's review...........take your time!

• theimortal1974
    3 posts

according to a review the main villain is barely in the game. so kind of like pagan minn then. the question will we hear his voice like pagan or not even that. his lack of presence shouldn't be surprised considering this is one of the biggest actors they've had in the series and must cost a ton of money.

• theimortal1974
    3 posts

really have any of the cover psychopaths been in their respective games that much? heck in far cry 3 the cover guy even is killed early on in the game.

sorry for posting two in a row rather than merging posts. i came up with this edit too late to change the first post.

• Flanker1Six
    228 posts
    As a reminder, these are the metacritic and opencritic ranges from the past iterations:

• 88-91 - FC2
    • 80-82 - Blood Dragon
    • 80-85 - FC4
    • 74-77 - Primal
    • 78-82 - FC5
    • 71-75 - New Dawn

Hadn't ever seen those stats, thanks!

I'm no mathematician, but I know a downward spiral when I see it! 😉 😃

• theimortal1974
    3 posts

@gameguru2018 lol i don't listen to crap like that. there was a game that the cover showed so many accolades and i played it and it was completely garbage. no i don't mean as in it wasn't my kind of game. the controls were horrible. the combat was almost impossible to use even on the first enemy you encounter. if that wasn't bad enough sony says i don't own it even though i do. i may have paid only 7 some dollars but i paid for it.

• SofaJockey

@flanker1six There has been a slight softening of game scores generally over time as more aggressive reviews get more clicks.
    It's not just this franchise.

• LaMOi
    162 posts

@sofajockey

come on I don’t think that’s the only reason.

I’m sure it is largely to do with franchise fatigue surely..?

for me personally I don’t mind if the gameplay loop remains largely the same as long as that is strong enough, but my beef is that you would certainly think they would update the visuals, animations, assets etc. I mean this is not just my opinion here numerous reviews have mentioned the same things.

• SofaJockey
    @sofajockey

come on I don’t think that’s the only reason.
    I’m sure it is largely to do with franchise fatigue surely..?

Sure, it's one reason. Fatigue may well be another, though I'm finding 6 the best FC (so far).

• LaMOi
    162 posts

@sofajockey

well that’s good…

is it challenging? And the way I gauge that is did you find FC5 challenging? I did not you see.
    Im hoping this one is a challenge….

• LaMOi
    162 posts

@katzenkrimis71

reviews for me are guide. They report any red flags. Problems issues with the game.

Generally, if a game gets bad reviews across the board, I see that as a red flag. They usually give me enough info I need to make a decision.

Can they tell me whether I personally will like the game…? No.

Suggested Topics