ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ravzir One last thing. Could you look in the nvidia control panel and see if your card is using pcie 2.0 or 3.0. Because mine was on 2.0 even though I set it to use 3.0 and I had way more problems until I fixed that.

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

It is because of these 2 stupid GB of Vram that it puts in dynamic memory.

This is the first time I have seen a game handle Vram this way, whatever you do it allocates +2GB of dynamic memory as soon as the game is launched, and then it takes up in the Vram and grows as time goes on goes into game, and around 9.5 or 9.8GB some textures start to go to low resolutions.

This game does not handle the full actual amount of Vram.

• Akira1364
    159 posts

@darkrtx2080 I disagree about it being some kind of AMD-related marketing ploy, honestly. Once again, Far Cry 5 was also an AMD-sponsored title. I think what we're seeing is just a classic case of sheer technical incompetence. Far Cry New Dawn, Far Cry 5, Far Cry Primal, Far Cry 4, and Far Cry 3 all used the same DirectX 11 based renderer (which was improved over time in terms of features and capabilities of course) and were all primarily developed by Ubisoft Montreal (as opposed to Ubisoft Toronto like Far Cry 6 is). Far Cry 6 also uses an entirely new DirectX 12 based renderer (presumably switched to for the purposes of letting them implement DXR raytracing, which is one thing not possible with DirectX 11).

I really, really think this is a combination of "fairly new, unoptimized renderer" and "studio branch that has minimal experience (relatively speaking) with the series as a whole."

It's possible Ubisoft Montreal would have been able to do the switch to DirectX 12 without introducing the issues we're seeing, as they were the ones who implemented the switch to DirectX 12 for the Assassin's Creed series (going from Odyssey to Valhalla), and managed to not introduce any new major bugs in the process. No way we'll ever know for sure though of course.

One thing that we do know for sure though is that the older DirectX 11 renderer quite simply did not work the same way as the new DirectX 12 one does as far as VRAM allocation, so in all likelihood Far Cry 6 would have had zero texture streaming problems (with or without the HD Texture Pack, regardless of the amount of available VRAM) had they continued to use it.

• Akira1364
    159 posts

@mersaldir It's incredibly frustrating that they continue to cling to this nonsensical requirement. I think all we can do is continue to immediately shut it down (politely, preferably with a clear technical argument as to precisely why it doesn't make sense) every time the support staff attempt to cite it on this forum. Unfortunately there's likely also many people out there who don't know any better and so are just blindly accepting it as a valid requirement (which it's not), which kind of offsets things in a bad way.

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ribellu__ If you raise the resolution scale slider high enough it will use 100% of VRAM. I think this is the problem. The game should have a limit to keep it from using the dynamic buffer which allows it to swap textures in and out. As soon as it starts using the buffer is when the textures drop out.

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

If you raise the resolution scale slider high enough it will use 100% of VRAM. I think this is the problem. The game should have a limit to keep it from using the dynamic buffer which allows it to swap textures in and out. As soon as it starts using the buffer is when the textures drop out.

@kevinsyslo2 Indeed, I tried in 4K the textures become low resolution after 10mn. But it does not use all my Vram 9.5GB maximum, it increases this stupid dynamic memory and it is this which makes the textures in low resolutions because it is too slow.

• Ravzir
    24 posts

@kevinsyslo2 It's using pcie 3. I think I would have noticed something about this earlier if it were the case.

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ravzir Ok. Looks like there is no hope then for people with 8GB and under until they patch it.

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

Just after 10 minutes in game, real consumption of Vram in 2K while Ultra with TPHD On, the right side and that of the maximum consumption, as time spent in game, dynamic memory increases up to + 2GB and the Vram nope or few.

This game has a problem, it should not prioritize dynamic memory.

In principle the dynamic memory is allocated as a last resort when the Vram starts to saturated!

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ribellu__ At a setting of about 1.2 in 4K for me it uses all 100% and even creates a bigger dynamic Vram size. I guess by using system memory. And it shows I'm using about 12GB.

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

@kevinsyslo2 after a while the dynamic memory increases to + 2GB but the Vram tops out at 9.5GB, the game does not allocate all my Vram.

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ribellu__ how much VRAM do you have.

• lazgk50
    7 posts
    Even in official support Twitter they show blurred Guapo textures, but not admit textures issue. Oh...

This and stop trying to do PR damage control on this thread no one is putting blame or accuse anyone we simple point a bug so they will patch it soon. Unless all you PR knights trying to convince me that even the developers run out of VRAM when they posted this clip in THEIR OWN FREAKING GAME. So unless you have some valid solutions let people in this thread post their specs and problem so the devs can find out a solution and go make your own thread to defend the game.

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

@kevinsyslo2 11GB

I play games much more greedy in Vram than this one and in 4K, and they use all my 11GB of Vram before adding this dynamic memory...

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

I think they limited the Vram for some GPUs or else it's a problem with the game engine, because of the addition of the DXR, their engine is old (Dunia) it must be poorly optimized for these new DXR technologies.

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ribellu__ Ok. obviously it needs the dynamic buffer on the VRAM and not the system memory. Because as soon as it starts creating more dynamic memory is when the textures drop out.

• Ribellu__
    72 posts

@kevinsyslo2 Exactly !

it's the first time I've seen a game do this, and I've played tons of games, with texture mods etc ...

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ribellu__ That's why I think they meant to have a limit so it could not chew in to the dynamic VRAM. But it doesn't look like it's working. Just have to wait for a patch.

• Ravzir
    24 posts

Just a small question: does this issue appear on consoles? I know they have 16GB, but that's shared - system + VRAM.

• kevinsyslo2
    51 posts

@ribellu__ This is what mine shows when resolution scale set at 1.2 @ 4K. Which is over my 11GB and it is only getting 1 to 2 fps.

Suggested Topics