ubisoft discussions

quick-suggestions

• locked topic_solved [RESOLVED] [PC] Some textures are appearing blurry in-game

91 likes/1407 replies/86160 views
    Bladerunner4077
    ubisoft:x-posts, 193

@mechcentric Its a mediocre implementation tacked on as an afterthought because AMD cards suck at ray tracing and they cannot have their sponsor's cards being brutalized by NVIDIA. See the Digital Foundry's detailed analysis on it. The RTX Shadows do not apply to vegetation which is around 90% of the game's map. They only apply to sun shadows from buildings. The rest is SSR. The RTX Reflections do not apply on water bodies of which there are plenty around the map and the reflections which are shown on the remaining surfaces are shown at 25% of your native resolution and look pixelated similar to RE Village, another AMD sponsored game.

Also the game runs horribly on flagship Intel CPUs. See below video of a 3080 Ti paired with an i9-10900k. GPU usage never crosses 90% at all while the CPU is just chilling back and relaxing.

Now look at the same GPU paired with an AMD 5800X. GPU usage constantly pegged at 99%.

Its clear to me that all the QA and development for this game has been done SOLELY on AMD GPUs and CPUs and they haven't bothered to test it at all on NVIDIA and Intel.

• Akira1364
    ubisoft:x-posts, 159

@bladerunner4077 I don't think that's relevant TBH. The behaviour of the game with regards to VRAM screams "bug", not anything intentional. People with older RX-series AMD cards also have the problem, and sometimes without the HD texture pack in use (as is the case for Nvidia cards).

• Kali-z
    ubisoft:x-posts, 2

Setting the resolution to 90% solved this problem perfectly

• As1r0nimo
    ubisoft:x-posts, 393

@bladerunner4077 AMD cards also have problems.

• Kali-z
    ubisoft:x-posts, 2
  • Daitan86
    ubisoft:x-posts, 60

I'm really disappointed, because the game if it worked would be very nice graphically. People who write that has a ps3 graphics is because they have this problem and think it's normal. It's ridiculous that 3080 can't handle this HD texture pack and PS5 / xbox yes.

• OurBG
    ubisoft:x-posts, 1

Same here.

Not as severe as other players (at least haven't noticed that), but still. Especially the Supremos are almost always very blurry and low-res and some building parts.
    Very rarely weapons. When I was clicking around the menus the supremo somehow stopped being blurry and then becomes blurry again after moving through menus.

AMD 5700XT with the latest driver. Same problem (with same textures) regardless of HD textures.
    HD textures work fine and smooth at Ultra@1440p with my setup.

• friet3
    ubisoft:x-posts, 3

@tricolour_ It worked until the next textures where loaded. For example by changing clothes or doing fast traveling to another place

• friet3

Nothing works. (Activate / deactivate HD textures, going to a lower solution, using dynamic FXCas, trying all quality settings...) I have a RTX2060 (not the best I know) but it should be possible to play a game which doesn't looks like playing Far Cry 1 2004. I hope it will be fixed soon. With this graphics it doesn't make any fun to play. I will wait fur updates until continue playing

• Bladerunner4077

So in order to investigate the complaints about blurry textures on 8GB VRAM cards at 1440p, I decided to play at that resolution on my 3080 Ti to check whether my suspicions in the above post are true and they are. Check this out, the game is allocating almost 8.1GB of VRAM without the HD pack installed at 1440p ultra with Ray Tracing. Turning off ray tracing and turning on FSR Ultra Quality improves this to 6.7GB ONLY. These are mind-bogglingly insane numbers as the game almost uses as much as Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus which are the landmark of high-end PC graphics.

Those who play at 1440p and have 8GB or less GPUs MUST turn off the HD pack and ray tracing, turn down FSR to Ultra Quality and the game preset down to high. Check if the allocated VRAM goes below 6.0GB with a headroom of at least 600MB so 5.4GB. If it doesn't then turn down FSR even further to quality mode. This is the ONLY way at the moment to permanently stop the blurry textures at 1440p on 8GB VRAM cards.

What worrying is at 4k, EVEN without the HD pack installed, game needs at least 9GB of VRAM allocation, so after a certain point, the RTX 3080 would be unable to render the high res textures without FSR since the game needs buffer of 2GB. I dont think there was any QA done on NVIDIA cards that much is certain

• Bladerunner4077

@friet3 What resolution are you playing at? If its at 1440p, don't bother playing the game at the moment at all, as you have a 6GB card and the game would only use 4GB out of it and apart from setting everything to low, you will always see blurry textures

• As1r0nimo

@bladerunner4077 For you to know. If you have a free space in you RAM (VRAM also), the engine, by deault, will try to reserve it. No matter how much.
    With my 4 gigs, the game cosumes 3.5-3.8 gigs of Vram at 1080p. From low, to Ultra. FSR changes nothing, or minimal.
    The issue is, that engine replace the textures with placeholders at any given moment. If you have 16 gigs of Vram, than you have high chances, that the engine won't need to replace anything. But when it will replace it, for whatever reason, you will get that placeholder.

• mrsleep0000
    ubisoft:x-posts, 29

Let me guess, you installed the HD pack but have a potato of a video card that doesn't have 12GB of ram?

I don't see any blurry textures using the HD pack with a 1080TI FTW.

• Bladerunner4077

@as1r0nimo @as1r0nimo You are talking about allocation. If we talk about usage, the game is ACTUALLY using 7.2GB in the above scene which is not at all feasible on 8GB GPUs as Windows itself would need 500-800MB for its own tasks and then the game will maintain a headroom on top of 1-2GB.

On your 4GB GPU, the game would not show blurry textures had your allocation been below 2.0GB. Unfortunately, 4GB is just proving inadequate for this game, so 2GB headroom has been completely breached which is why you are seeing allocation of 3.5GB. But that 3.5GB is with low resolution assets all over the place.

Conclusion: Your textures will be fine as long as you are below the 2.0GB limit. When they are breaching that, the game allows it but will start streaming low res assets so that your VRAM is not breached. FSR doesn't work for you because you are already at 1080p. Theres very little savings to be had from downscaling futher

In an ideal game, it would continue loading high res assets until the 4GB is completely breached and start stuttering as it swaps to system RAM but the devs didnt go that route

• friet3

So you mean with a two years old RTX 2060 its only possible to play with quality textures like Half Life 1?

• Bladerunner4077

@friet3 The way the VRAM allocation works in this game, the unfortunate answer is yes. Unless you turn down everything to low and experiment with FSR but the game looks like crap at that point.

You are not alone though. Apparently, my 3080 Ti (£1,700) cannot run HD Textures but the PS5 (£500) can. This game is a utter joke on NVIDIA cards.

• Ribellu__
    ubisoft:x-posts, 72

In an ideal game, it would continue loading high res assets until the 4GB is completely breached and start stuttering as it swaps to system RAM but the devs didnt go that route.

@Bladerunner4077 Exactly.

• Daitan86
    ubisoft:x-posts, 60

@bladerunner4077 fully agree. I don't like being fooled, I think I will ask for a refund of the game, I will buy it back if it is fixed.

• Ribellu__
    ubisoft:x-posts, 72

Right now I'm playing Stalker anomaly with a bunch of texture mods, see how much my Vram goes up to the top left + 11GB, the game uses my Vram completely and it's not the only game that uses my Vram entirely, all this to say that I have never seen a game stop using my Vram 2GB before being full, like FC 6 does...

And I don't have any textures that display in low resolutions with these other games that completely use all of my Vram.

• As1r0nimo

@ribellu__ Indeed. Right now I'm playing Shadow of war, that also consumes a lot of Vram. Still, no stuttering, no low res textures. It fully utilize my 4 gigs Vram without any problem.

Suggested Topics