Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• jamesp347
    Original poster 4 posts

(SPOILERS)

I have 'technically' finished the game, clocking in at almost 290 hours.

So on with the good, the bad...the...[censored]?

Comparison time...
    Origins (250 hours) is a very good game. Odyssey (480 hours) is a much better, a more refined and polished game, just look at how many hours I spent.

Valhalla? 
    It felt like a very rushed-out-the-door game..."I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it." I think that line from 'On the Waterfront' sums it up. Maybe in a year, after some more updates/patches it will feel more refined. I will play it again in a year. Maybe...probably.

Where did it go wrong?
    The game is a mile-wide and an inch-deep. Yes, it tried to go further with some romances, slightly more with the in-depth relationships, but that also sputters out in the end. The romance dialog options simply end up looping around to Kiss/Spend.time.with/Sleep-with/Break-up...and so on.

*Sigh* Okay, I admit, Yes I have a bad attitude going into this game. When I started playing Valhalla I was burned out on Vikings in general. Having just finished the TV Series Vikings, and then the outstanding game "Hellblade", overall I was done with the Vikings 'thing'. But whatever, I wanted to get back into the open world of Assassins Creed. So I gave it a go.

I chose the Female Eivor because I am sick of playing Male characters...99.99% of every game I have ever played is male dominated (no choice), so I always go with the Female option for a change-up. 

1.) I was not happy about the voice that the female actress used. I am not sure how this happened? The marketing morons must have forced that, to make her sound more rough and tough...and whatever. Eventually the voice grew on me, and once in awhile the actress' real voice would slip in and soften things a little ( I liked that ).

2.) The Raven Settlement was developed enough, but more missions around each settlement building is needed in order to feel like home. But no, once a building was established, the fun was basically over. 

3.) The Cartographer...I want to hurt that dude in a bad way, many times over. Totally useless. How many times would I go to him for maps and...NOTHING! I mean what the hell does he do all day? I am out covering 1,000,000,000 miles....every bit of forest and towns and whatever, and he keeps saying 'keep exploring!'....oh yeah, how about I stuff your head into a dirt hole! I mean, [censored], how worthless. All I ask is to give me the option in the dialog box to 'smack him around' a little if he has no maps to give me, or to burn his building to the ground. Now that would be some fun stuff. 

4.) I was able to romance Randvi and Petra at the same time, which is nice, but not till the end. If you are wondering how, just start the romance with Petra early on, and then I ignored all romance options after that, cause I wanted to remain loyal to one character. But really started to like Randvi. That little escapade on the side with Randvi opens up the option to romance, but you have to let her down easy in order keep your romance option available later, and not [censored]-off Sigurd so you get the 'good' ending. So, much-much later in the game, almost at the end, after the fat blacksmith marries the girl that talks gibberish, you get to romantically hook-up with Randvi while staying with Petra. But I really wanted the option to include a 'threesome', that would be the best ending of all! 

5.) Raiding got to be boring. Not sure how you change that up, to make it more interesting. I guess you could do something. Will have to think on this. 

6.) Killing civilians will cause desynchronization? That is an idiot game play rule. Bring back the bounty system and have bounties chasing me all over the place because I did some 'bad' stuff. That right there would make the game many times over much better. I mean, who doesn't love Origins and Odyssey with the bounty system? You would be right in the middle of an important mission and those damn bounty hunters show up, making you have to scramble. Loved that.

7.) My character was un-killable. No really. My Eivor was able to beat the snot out of every boss battle no matter what challenge/level I set it on. Maybe I just figured out the right equipment set, but really, there are only so many keystroke/mouse combinations, and the bad guys had a finite number of moves. Once you figure that out, it all comes down to wash-rinse-repeat. Sometimes I would just stand there be like 'okay, hit me a few times', just so you feel like you are doing well.

8.) Disable overclocking on your video card. For some reason this game is very sensitive to overclocked equipment. Constant crashing. Then I disabled overclocking and the crashes went away. The Origins and Odyssey games were not this sensitive.

9.) Basim is Loki? And Loki is Basim? And then Basim comes in at the end to take over running the controls from Layla? Moronic decision. Layla is now just staring off at some cosmic tree to stop the end of the world? A...total...waste...of time. I just ignored all that, I think I even looked through my spam mailbox to make sure I didn't accidentally delete anything important while that scene unfolded. I even defeated Loki and Basim, and then they come back? But I am dead in the ground? Lame. Very lame. Stop with that junk. How about this, just make a AC game based on some period of time, totally immerse us into that time period and stop with the Animus, time shifting, and Isu junk. That present day/future story line is boring and just gets in the way.

10.) What did I like? I really like Eivor's 'pad' in the main house. I wanted some options to change the place up and bring friends back and hang out. I also liked drunk Eivor after drinking contest...more options like getting into a drunken fist fight in middle of the street with some soldiers or something. Maybe get arrested and thrown in jail? Fun times.

That's it for now. 🙂

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• procadman
    76 posts

"Origins (250 hours) is a very good game. Odyssey (480 hours) is a much better, a more refined and polished game, just look at how many hours I spent."
    Unsure of how many hours I spent in Origins but I completed 99% of it 6 times.
    Probably have close to 500 hours in Valhalla at this point.
    Making notes for next go-thru.

"1) I was not happy about the voice that the female actress used."
    I agree.
    My wife came in while I was playing and she commented on that very same thing.

"4.) I was able to romance Randvi and Petra at the same time, "
    I never had to break up with either girl. But, then, I'm apparently a "player" 😉

"5.) Raiding got to be boring. "
    Yes, again.
    The addition of a few weapons and champions was nice but quickly over.

"9.) Basim is Loki? "
    I'm never happy when the bad guy wins. I wasn't fond of Layla but really do not like Basim.

• As1r0nimo
    106 posts

1) It's tied to a SPECIFIC voice. Differenet languages has different voices. Surprise-surprise. How does it make the game worse?
    2) Agree on that. Each building should have a small quest line. It would be fun.
    3) Seems like you don't understand how he works and you whine about it. He sells you coordinates of a specific item on the map in the area, you have unlocked. Like Winchester has 3 gear pieces, he will put a mark on your map. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    4) Seriously? You whine about not being able to [censored]/romance with 2 girls at the same time?
    5) Repetetive - yes. Boring - pure subjective.
    7) Sure. Try fighting druids at nightmare difficulty, when random hit deletes half of your bar.

• procadman
    76 posts

@as1r0nimo
    @ubi-keo
    I understood these forums to be a place of communication; a place for give and take, whether it be asking for help or comparing one AC title to this particular one.

Everyone's opinion is valid, whether they are working from incorrect data or references.

Assuming the player is not just venting steam, and if their opinion seems misinformed I would think a better response would be to share Your opinion and Your reasoning.
    This is also assuming a response is even warranted.

I don't think someone's opinion should be considered whining nor should they be called out for having said opinion.

That way lies anarchy.

• jamesp347
    Original poster 4 posts

And now for an update...

Perhaps my recollection of Origins and Odyssey became overly romanticized over time?
    So, I wanted to challenge 'that' by playing those prior games again.

Thus, I have upgraded my opinion of Valhalla significantly, very much in a positive way. While yes, there are glitches here-and-there, I noticed that Valhalla made good strides in graphic details, and story lines, which I only now realize that after having gone back and played Origins and Odyssey.
    I expect that after another patch, or two, Valhalla will be very finely polished.

I still do not care at all for the Layla/Modern-day/Animus/Templar/Isu stuff, that distracts from the game, and I just 'play through' those parts so I can get back into the main character of that period of history.

If Ubisoft takes note of anything, they should focus on fleshing out the Valhalla Settlement some more, adding more options and NPC interactions, for as long as possible. After all, a lot of emphasis was placed on making sure you took care of your Settlement and I was very proud of the work my character put into it. It would be nice to have future story/quests open up around the place you are supposed to call 'home'.

• ADarklore
    175 posts

@jamesp347 I played Origins AFTER Odyssey, and it was a huge step backwards... I hated it. Sand, sand and more sand... no comparison to the beautiful vistas in Odyssey... but then England and it's so dreary and depressing with murder victims everywhere, sad 'last notes', scenes of mass murder, absolutely awful. Also consider that Odyssey is very historically accurate... whereas almost everything about Valhalla is, as noted by the developers, "viking fantasy" leaving very little historical accuracy.

Having played Valhalla almost daily over the last two months, including starting a second game... this week I went back and started a new game in Odyssey, which I have played over 300 hours my first game and several NG+ games for about 70 hours each (just wracking up skill points). I like how Odyssey doesn't force all these 'puzzles' onto you at every step of the game, you don't have to spend 15 minutes just trying to figure out how to get into a house to collect a chest, etc. I also love the ocean dive sites, even though I'm terrified of deep water, so it's a love/hate relationship that makes the game a bit more interesting. I love the ship battles, love how Ikaros is actually useful, love the mercenary aspect, being able to redo forts, etc. I also love how you actually build a relationship with your companions, something that Valhalla is deeply lacking. There just seems to be a complete lack of emotional connection between anyone, which is why I don't even feel bad about telling Sigurd to stay in Norway. Yet in Odyssey, you actually begin to LIKE your companions... from Barnabas, Herodotus, and my favorite, Socrates. Sadly though, I felt no connection to Myrrine or even Kassandra/Alexios... which is where you'd expect to build an emotional connection. Yet in Valhalla, it just feels so disconnected emotionally... maybe it's the dreariness of England and all the scenes of murder and death.

I'm also not a fan of the whole "Asgard" storyline, I just feel it's more of a pain than the "Atlantis" arc in Odyssey. Plus, even though I'm big on history and mythology, both of them were too heavy on "ISU" than on actual real mythology... and none of it seems to make any sense. So are they saying that the ISU are actually ALL the 'god' mythologies from around the world? So there is Greek ISU, Norse ISU, and yet we never get any type of explanation of how they are connected... but somehow Alethia was part of the Greek ISU yet connected to Loki of the Norse ISU?!? Confusing!!

On the plus side for Valhalla... I do enjoy the combat more in Valhalla albeit I feel that Odyssey is a bit more responsive but the dodge timings are annoyingly tighter tho too. Playing Odyssey I miss some of the skills from Valhalla such as Harpoon and Dive of the Valkyries, yet I have Shadow of Nyx with the Pilgrim's set so I can sneak to my heart's content. 😉 I also miss the usually annoying but sometimes fun "roadside ambushes" that you constant come across in Valhalla. I also miss the mix of enemies, in Odyssey everyone was your friend until you stabbed them in the back (as in Athenians and Spartans)... the only things that ambush you in Odyssey are animals... or pirates on the open water. I just like how I can stumble across a Pict, Briton or bandit and they instantly attack you... which you never get in Odyssey. So you really never have to fight in the open world unless you choose to... forts don't count because obviously if you wander into restricted areas you're going to be attacked. I just like the random attacks in Valhalla. The zealots were fun but once they're defeated, there's no difficult enemies left... unlike the mercenary system in Odyssey.

It's tough... but I just feel Odyssey is more polished, I'm not having to restart from a game save after it glitches out and suspends you in midair falling when leaving a fort, which is something I've had to do more than once with Valhalla, then because it doesn't save WHILE you are in the fort, you have to do the fort all over again!! NOT COOL! I have not had a single glitch with Odyssey, NONE... Valhalla I've had to reload a game save many times over the course of playing it due to quests glitching, or falling glitches, etc. I also feel a lot 'happier' playing Odyssey because the world is so much more bright, sunny and the people are mostly cheerful... in Valhalla, it's dark, dreary and depressing with death, death everywhere. Then, of course, are the glaring historical inaccuracies in Valhalla that bug me too. Puzzles, no thanks!! Give me a tomb or cave to explore and I'm down with that... but wasting 15+ minutes of my time on ONE thing, no thanks!!

Suggested Topics