Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 4 Likes/14 Replies/356 Views
    AnimusLover
    Original poster 231 posts

So, I’ve just reached the second island in Yara and I don’t know if I’m going to finish Far Cry 6. It’s a beautiful game on PS5 and clearly a lot of work has gone onto creating its world but the thought of continuing makes me groan.

Usually accusations of Ubisoft games being “grindy” tend to be overstated because the stuff people say are grindy are standard activities players are expected to do in any open world to level up, and most of the time it’s optional anyway. However, this is the first time ever in a Ubisoft game where I think its grindiness, for me at least, isn’t self imposed and is something that is baked into the game’s structure from the ground up with no way around it.

This is because things that were a given in previous entries now have to be worked for, which I don’t mind in theory so long as it’s fun in the process. The problem is…it’s not fun in the process. The most basic of perks being unavailable from the start means the default mechanics have to be nerfed, making activities like fort takedowns a slog. For instance, the crouch speed is ridiculously slow now so the window of opportunity for silent takedowns is far more missable. This results in tedious waiting around until the enemy crosses your path again or having to distract with a baseball in the hopes the enemy stops long enough for you to catch up. That was, of course, until I equipped the parkour set – which increases movement speed - and now I’m moving like the old Far Cry games again.

However, by equipping this set I will most likely be lacking in other areas meaning I’ll have to constantly swap out my gear for the right occasion. Again, I wouldn’t mind this in theory but the process to obtaining that gear is not fun… due to not having the perks of the gear I’m pursuing in the first place so it’s catch 22. In short, they’ve downgraded default mechanics in the old games so you can work your way back up to them rather than try to build on what's there, and it’s not fun in the process.

I also find the stealth A.I. very unfair and it might be because this game has only one global difficulty mode (other than story mode). They’re able to spot bodies hidden in bushes (if they can’t spot the crouched player in the bushes how can they spot a flat body in it???) The stealth A.I. behaviour is also so erratic that it borders on cheating. In most games with stealth the A.I. has a pattern that can be exploited. Here it seems enemies will start their pathing and then the moment you’re creeping behind them out of cover they alter off that same path that I’ve seen them do the exact same way 10 times before and turn around for no good reason, instantly spotting you – and I have the mod on my backpack for lighter steps too so sound is not the reason.

Also, once they’ve spotted a body/are in a stressed state they run around all over the place in groups making it almost impossible to finish the rest of the activity incognito. I got the trophy for completing an FND base without being spotted but it took some reloading of the auto-save, I can’t lie. And don’t even get me started on the random gunfights with rebels right in the middle of me trying to be sneaky in a base (the respawning A.I. is a topic for another time because it’s still quite bad). Don’t get me wrong, the stealth is functional – it’s not Assassin’s Creed Valhalla broken at least. But it definitely does not feel as good as before due to the aforementioned reasons.

Lastly, the entire opening tutorial is very poorly done. Basically, it's trying to do the Ubisoft open world thing where it starts you off on a small tutorial island that teaches you the mechanics but here it feels really jumbled, like there's missing content. It introduces stuff that you don't actually end up doing or needing to worry about until you reach the second island hours later so you spend half the time being confused as to what the game is referencing. The distinction between areas that can be cleared and taken over versus one with respawning enemies is not quite clear on the map either. 

Additionally, the pacing of the story feels very rushed at the start, as if it’s frantically trying to get you into the gameplay loop as fast as possible so you don’t get bored. Ironically, because the pacing is so rushed it lessens the investment of what you’re doing and the gameplay becomes boring as a result.

At the end of the first island, Clara gives that big, emotional fearless/feared speech that is cool in isolation but in the context of the story feels like it comes out of nowhere because there was no build up to it. It was here that I was convinced that huge chunks of content were probably cut out. In Far Cry 5 the story felt far more immediate and in your face, as if everything you were doing was driving the characters and narrative forward. Here, it feels more disconnected to the gameplay so by the time Clara gives that speech I was just left wondering how she suddenly went from gruff rebel leader to desperate freedom fighter with nothing to lose. What missing event(s) lead to this sudden tonal shift? It was just weird.

Keep in mind that these are just my first impressions – it may get better as it goes along but I don’t know if I have the time or energy to see that through. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Mortilla_
    96 posts
    At the end of the first island, Clara gives that big, emotional fearless/feared speech that is cool in isolation but in the context of the story feels like it comes out of nowhere because there was no build up to it. It was here that I was convinced that huge chunks of content were probably cut out. In Far Cry 5 the story felt far more immediate and in your face, as if everything you were doing was driving the characters and narrative forward. Here, it feels more disconnected to the gameplay so by the time Clara gives that speech I was just left wondering how she suddenly went from gruff rebel leader to desperate freedom fighter with nothing to lose. What missing event(s) lead to this sudden tonal shift? It was just weird.

When they lighted up flares and threw them on the ground, basically telling Castillo to come and get them?

I don't know... I think you might be overreading the situation.

They're the guerillas -- you're just a random who wants off the island.

Also, use silenced weapons: they work quite nicely, especially for that sweet stealthy approach. 🐷

• AnimusLover

@mortilla_ Overreading the situation how? That climactic moment came out of nowhere.

Also, regarding silent weapons. The early silencers still make a lot of noise. I don't think I'm far enough in yet to get the additional materials required for more advanced silencers.

• Mortilla_
    96 posts

@animuslover spoiler

Sounds like a speech is in order, but what do I know?

Do silenced weapons still make noise? That's news to me, I guess. Works quite well on my end. 🐷

• SofaJockey
    372 posts

Game keeps getting better as I progress.

Don't like it? ok...

• AnimusLover

@mortilla_ I get the reason for it I just feel like it needed more build up.

If you look at the workbench you can see the game destinguishes between muzzles that 'slighty reduces noise' and 'greatly reduces noise' meaning those within earshot can still hear a bullet with the former muzzle applied.

• Sleezure
    111 posts
    Game keeps getting better as I progress.

Don't like it? ok...

It should be good from the start. Players shouldn't need to grind for hours on the hope that it eventually gets "better."

• igrvks
    61 posts
  • AnimusLover

@sofajockey Guess it wouldn't be a Ubisoft game without you jumping to its defense to say it's the best thing ever lol

• AnimusLover

@animuslover So I'm now about 20 hours in and just under halfway through. It certainly has got better although it took a while to do so.

I eventualy reached a stage where I got past the mandatory grind and most of my weapons now are decent. I can one shot everyone with armour piercing headshots and I have enough gear that I can swap things out and mix and match without being too disadvantaged in a single area. Unfortunately, in being so overpowered early on I've noticed a lot of the systems are superfluous. There's a lot of activities to help you acquire gear and resources so that you don't get bored doing just one thing but because there's just so much that a lot of it is redundant and you don't need to engage with it. I haven't done much hunting, for instance, which is just weird in a Far Cry game. There's so many ways to acquire resources that hunting is not necessary (unless you want the food buffs which I haven't taken advantage of).

Also, I replayed the tutorial island on PS4 this time skipping any side content and just focusing on the story. I stand by what I said regarding pacing and it feeling like stuff was cut out but now I know exactly why: it's the TONE shift that comes out of nowhere. All of the missions up until Clara's speech have been tonally goofy (Far Cry 3 weed farm callbacks, Dani singing in a car, drunk old man recruit etc etc) and then suddenly Clara makes this big, emotional speech. It's just weird. The tone of the story in general is all over the place.

• Flanker1Six
    218 posts

Disabled content is quite common for not only Ubi, but other triple AAA Devs too. Take a look at the re enabled features/content in the FC 5 Resistance mod at Nexus. Utterly amazing how much stuff that was sitting there in our vanilla games that had been disabled.

They're "suppressors" NOT silencers. It is possible to get the gun shot to near noiseless (excepting the working of the action) by using a .22 rimfire cartridge, or a seriously subsonic loading of more powerful cartridges. I fyou have access to either of them; take a listen to unsuppressed and suppressed weapons in either of Undeadlabs State of Decay games. Best gun sounds in the business.

Modern suppressors (as in suppressors made within the last 20-25 years) DON'T over heat as portrayed in FC 6, and they certainly don't reduce cartridge performance. The resolver suppressors in FC 6 are laughable fantasies. You might get a "round" out of them using a low powered pistol cartridge, but the only thing they'd do on any of the rifles is explode with the first round fired.

Not knocking anyone who likes the FC 6 suppressors as presented; if you like/enjoy it, then you like enjoy it. Just realize they're as arcade as the current rate of enemy NPC respawns, and enemy NPC audio/visual horizens.

• AnimusLover

62 hours played, map cleared (aside from hidden histories collectibles), 98% completion and I absolutely love this game and think it's my favourite in the series. It overcame its flaws with pacing and tone by a certain point to become a game I can't stop going back to even after getting the platinum for both PS5 and PS4. I think my first impressions regarding the perks system is one felt by many and will probably put some people off from the start to the point where they won't see it through. I'd encourage those who aren't enjoying the game to stick with it - it's definitely a grower. 

• carshop22
    42 posts

@animuslover they just needa tweak a few things here and there.

• guydodge
    30 posts

@sofajockey only problem is its easier and easier i dont even want to upgrade anymore im already at god status
    just up the damage the AI deals and we have a game here.

Suggested Topics