ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• H.O.U.S.E.
    Original poster 7 posts

Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love The Division series. There's obviously enough good stuff in it that keeps me coming back.

With that said, I recently came back 2 months ago after not playing it for the previous few months due to boredom/fatigue. I have mostly enjoyed myself but that doesn't mean there isn't obvious room for improvement. So here are some mental notes that I've made over the last couple of months....take it for whatever it's worth to you.

First off, I'm well aware that there are "sweeping changes" eventually inbound come sometime between December and February. We'll see what that actually brings to the table.

Ok, first observation...I'm noticing in most of my random matchmade groups and most videos covering Division 2, a ridiculous amount of Shield builds. Specifically, usually in tandem with the Scorpio shotgun. It feels like it has become too big of a crutch for people to lean hard on. Normally, I'm a buff not nerf kind of guy, but this is just silly in almost every single group. I think it might be time to adjust those items to, at least, not make it the obvious default cookie cutter setup. D-FNC got it right in Division 1. SMG and pistols make sense. Shotguns, AR's, and Rifles are just silly in conjunction with a shield.

Speaking of shields and shield players, I propose a new global directive. One that would turn on friendly fire for gunplay. Maybe after 2-3 seconds in the same spot, it kicks in. In most of the groups that I have played in, the players don't seem to understand the function of a shield player in team setting. Instead of drawing the focus of the enemy and moving off to the side to work in tandem with the team to eliminate enemies, they seem to think that they are the be all/end all of dps, and the rest of us are just there to observe their "greatness." Most of them just block shots, no matter where you are positioned, clogging up all firing lanes. Maybe if we had a directive that punished them for bad play, they might actually learn how to play their role correctly.

Speaking of directives, a nice QOL change would be, when we matchmake, before we choose to join, could we please see what directives the group is running. Way too much time spent in loading screens by joining a group, finally loading in after what I call the double or triple load, just to see they're running directives that royally gimp your build, leave group and enter another loading screen....wash, rinse, repeat. And piggybacking off of that, another welcome QOL change would be, if I join a group that's running pistolero and back out, could you please make sure that when I load back into my instance, that I have my ammo back please? That way I don't have to then jump to a safehouse before I can even matchmake again.

Those are my nitpicky observations. Obviously, I would love to see actual new content and more gearsets and brands for more diversity in builds and mechanics. Still want my Survival Mode, even though that'll never happen. And for the love of jeebus, lower the costs of recalibration....good grief.

That's all I have off the top of my head for now. Thanks for reading my ramblings...lol

*Edit* Just remembered another item....the chem launcher. That damn thing glitches out more often than not. You fire a round with it, go to switch back to your weapon and fire, it's still stuck in chem-mode. Sometimes doing it 3-4 times in a row before it gets it right. Frustrating and obnoxious.

*Edit Again*
    I also think it's about time to allow the training wheels of restriction to come off, and allow us to have more than one exotic equipped at a time. We're 2.5 years in at this point and, while balance is important, it's just as important to let us diversify our builds further and let us actually enjoy these things just like in the first game.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• dagrommit
    894 posts
    I propose a new global directive. One that would turn on friendly fire for gunplay.

Nope, that'll just be used as a way to grief people.

when we matchmake, before we choose to join, could we please see what directives the group is running

Agreed. Or at least allow us to choose "no directives" as an option.

Still want my Survival Mode

From the sounds of it, that's what Heartland will kinda be.

• Virtual-Chris
    807 posts

@h-o-u-s-e

Agreed that optimization is too expensive.

The Scorpio is definitely OP… It’s too good not to use it.

I was wondering the other day, if they allowed multiple exotics in a build… what would I use? I would definitely use the aforementioned Scorpio with other exotic guns, but for gear… I guess combining the Momento (another OP item) with the Coyote or Vile mask and Sawyer Knees would be ok. But that’s all that comes to mind. What would make a great build using multiple exotics?

• ElBiggus
    7 posts

@h-o-u-s-e

Speaking of directives, a nice QOL change would be, when we matchmake, before we choose to join, could we please see what directives the group is running

Amen to that, but it's been a requested feature for as long as I can remember so I suspect the chances of it ever happening are slim to none.

As for tanks getting in the way, it's a common criticism but it's not always the tank's fault. Tanking is my preferred role and my strategy is more or less "run into the room first, head to one side, pop my shield to proc Vanguard, drop shield and get behind as many NPCs as possible, shield up again and draw aggro", and I try to stay out of the way as much as possible, but I've definitely run across people who are as much of a hinderance as a help (usually people with the smaller shield which, in their defence, is kind of intended to provide a degree of mobile cover for other players, hence the big blue wedge that trails behind them). That said, the game mechanics are super janky at close quarters, moving with a shield is very slow and awkward (e.g. you can't jump over obstacles, you have to move around them, potentially leading to getting in the way), tanking heavies often requires getting in the way from time to time due to the way they move (the best way of kiting them is to slowly orbit them anticlockwise), and part of the responsibility also has to fall to the DPS players to position themselves appropriately and/or give the tank some breathing room to change position. And if all else fails, use chat to tell the tank to move!

• Noxious81
    1174 posts
    (...) a ridiculous amount of Shield builds.

Sad but true. Because most of the game's difficulties are now so easy (in comparison to TD2's early days) that being in cover is no longer necessary. Additionally, the Memento backpack is just as overpowered as the Scorpio. Especially when using a shield, the Memento in almost every case is the best choice, because it offers full 15% WD plus 2 tiers for your shield. When having equipped the Technician Specialization you can have a tier 3 shield with an "all red" build. That's hilarious. And hilariously strong, so that's another reason why so many agents go for that "turn on the easy mode" setup.

(...) One that would turn on friendly fire for gunplay. (...)

Although I'd really fancy such a Directive, I also think this would totally f**k up group play when matchmaking.

(...) Most of them just block shots, no matter where you are positioned, clogging up all firing lanes. Maybe if we had a directive that punished them for bad play, they might actually learn how to play their role correctly.

I absolutely feel where you're coming from. That behavior is so damn annoying and is often also not very effective. Or good for the overall performance of the whole team (i. e. rendering three mates basically useless by blocking LoS for having one agent overrun by too many enemies). I still try to just tell people in a friendly way how they could contribute better to working as a team. Some people actually do respond and are grateful for some advice, most people don't react at all, and some people insult you. Well, so where's the friendly fire Directive 😉 ?

(...) could we please see what directives the group is running. (...)

In the best case you will have a build at hand to deal with any mix of Directives. But if you now want to enjoy your favorite build and you continue to tun into groups with having Directives activated that prevent you from using your desired build... yeah... that sucks. So at least opting out for Directives (or each Directive separately) when searching for a group would be helpful. Otherwise you only can set up your open world or mission as you want it to be and open your group for others to join your map with your conditions.

(...) Still want my Survival Mode, even though that'll never happen.

Me too. I'd play the s**t out of that mode in TD2, maybe with that sandstorm or that massive thunderstorm. But... it will never happen. And I only have very small hopes for Heartland, as this will basically be PvPvE-experience with a strong emphasis on the PvP-portion.

And for the love of jeebus, lower the costs of recalibration....(...)

Nope, the costs for Recalibration are perfect. Recalibration is a very powerful tool that allows you to recalibrate a maxed out attribute to any kind of item (as soon as you have it inside your library).
    And in case you are talking about Optimization: Nope again, at least from my point of view. The costs for Optimization are absolutely ok in order to reflect for what it is meant: for optimizing items with an overall quality of 97% or 99% to then being perfect.

Optimization is an endgame tool, meant for just adding some finishing touches to otherwise perfectly created builds of veteran agents. Sadly newer agents often misunderstand Optimization and hope to be able to optimize each and every piece of gear with it after having played the first mission at challenging difficulty.

(...) and allow us to have more than one exotic equipped at a time.

Absolutely not. Exotics in TD2 can in no way be compared to exotics in TD1. The only thing they have in common is their category's name. But other than that they simply do not work the same way in both games, they are not balanced the same way – and so allowing us to equip as many exotics as we want would create even more of those scenarios you were complaining about earlier in your post. Especially with the Memento there just would be way too many OP builds...

• H.O.U.S.E.
    Original poster 7 posts

I appreciate all of the feedback so far. I definitely agree that the memento backpack has also been a default staple for too many builds. If there was an option to equip multiple exotics, maybe just add a program stip that wouldn't allow it to be equipped with other exotics.

As for shields, I know they wouldn't add a friendly fire directive, simply because there are those out there who would just abuse it to be a donkey. But they could definitely tone down it's capabilities by only letting it be used with sidearms and smg.

I'm perfectly ok with some builds having the capability of being out in the open while running and gunning. If you created and specced your build to handle that, that's great. I have a couple of those builds myself. I just refuse to use a shield with them due to the overabundance of shields currently.

As for Survival, I know it's a lost cause and I doubt that I'll spend another full price for something that I want as a game mode.

Again, I appreciate all the responses and viewpoints.

• Adrian-11
    897 posts

@h-o-u-s-e

Well... Heartland will be free to play, and honestly the alpha (or whatever that was) looked like poorer slice from TD2. Who knows what (and if) it will be in end...?!

Re. shields, I am not very fond of those either, but they are part of the CQB scheme (HF, Adrenaline, Intimidate, and so on...), mandatory piece for managing the sponge from Challenging and up.
    Memento and Scorpio seem to be part of the same mitigation package for disproportionate sponge and damage at higher difficulties, especially on solo

I rather see the NPCs having to deal with the same trade-offs, can't have both max damage AND max damage (unless we have a separate class, like tanks in each faction).
    We could have NPC with high damage and weak armor (ie snipers and rushers), high armor and weak damage (shielded, grenadiers, etc.), and something in the middle. Also, the final / named bosses should be difficult for some other reason, like using skills or having a coordinated team around them.
    Basically, replicate on the NPC side the same trade-offs we have to make on the player side.

• H.O.U.S.E.
    Original poster 7 posts

@adrian-11 I completely forgot that Heartland is going to be free to play...Oops.

I never want to mess with solo players stuff. I run solo about half the time. Just in 4 player groups, I'm observing almost zero coordination and teamwork. It's more like 4 solos all trying to be the be-all end-all at the same time. That's where my issue with shield builds gets exacerbated. They just act like we're there to observe...silly.

As for difficulty, I play everything on Heroic. I've dabbled in Legendary enough to beat them all, but honestly it's migraine inducing most of the time...lol. Which is a shame, because I thoroughly enjoyed running the legendaries, almost exclusively, in Division 1. Not so much in thhis one.

Like I said, some of this is just me being nitpicky. I eagerly await some changes and fresh content. We'll see.

• H.O.U.S.E.
    Original poster 7 posts

Ok....I give. I'm heading back to playing exclusively solo for a while.

I can't STAND running anymore missions, or the summit, with everyone and their mother running the same exact cookie cutter copy and paste build anymore.

Scorpio, Shield, Memento, clog up firing lanes and block other players from participating in the engagement. It's self-centered and f'n stupid.

I'm sure all the noobs that run that setup, in that exact manner, won't miss me a bit. The feeling is mutual. I'll come back to multiplayer when they do the right thing and nerf that noob cannon back down to earth.

Yuck.

• PedMM
    20 posts

@h-o-u-s-e
    i'm definitely guilty of almost all of your complaints. in my defense i just have that i'm new to the game and when i get the scorpion and I tested it, it was quite obvious that it was op and much easier to farm with it as a solo player. even not liking shotguns. I've been using it because it makes farming easier.
    And for talking about this I even remembered why I started using the scorpion. I was doing my first climb in summit and increased the difficulty as it went up I ended up on floor 100 in heroic with a skill build and as you can guess I was completely destroyed by the hunters. the difficulty change is ridiculous especially with a skill build for a new player. was like the game telling me that skill builds were very bad against hunters (for some reason I don't understand) and that they are basically a dps check.
    and that's what i did, i took the pieces i had to make more dps i equipped the sorpion put a shield wait to be able to use the shield run to a hunter and melt it. (a stupid build done in less than 5min with random pieces was better that the build that had given me so much work to do)
    after that i have only been perfecting this build which turned out to be the generic you are talking about scorpion shield momento and hunters fury.
    For the teamwork part my experience has been that most random calls I answer most people don't speak and have zero teamwork. (but most of the time I go ahead with the shield I try not to be in front of the people I think this is just common sense)

Anyway, I completely understand that this can be frustrating for a veteran. and I think there should be adjustments because the game right now encourages new players to play this way

• hralex1951
    197 posts

How many morons have come to this forum to dictate how people play the game and order things be nerfed. People can play anyway the want. I have no problem working with teams of randoms even on legendary.

• H.O.U.S.E.
    Original poster 7 posts
    How many morons have come to this forum to dictate how people play the game and order things be nerfed. People can play anyway the want. I have no problem working with teams of randoms even on legendary.

Well, I'm not a moron but thanks for your input I guess. My issue I take with the overwhelming majority of players that I encounter running that setup, in that way, is that you're part of a 4 person group. It's not the all about you show and the other 3 are just there to watch.

I really do think that the build SHOULD exist, but it shouldn't be able to run right up to spawns and just spam the fire button and lock the whole wave down in front of it, all while blocking your 3 teammates from getting a single shot through. That's childish and selfish and you know it.

Like I said, the overwhelming majority of groups that I get put in over the last couple of months have AT LEAST one, if not multiple people running that build and behaving that way.
    I do personally believe that kind of play belongs in solo or two man only. I think it's stupidly easy to build and run, and should be brought in line with every other choice available in the game, so it's not the automatic go to. But that's just MY opinion. I don't have any say in the game or development. So instead, the one thing I do have control over, I've done. Which is to stick to solo play for the time being.

Good day.

• Oatiecrumble
    755 posts

Don't really play my shield build anymore but i can totally agree that if in a group with a shield player they should be considerate of the rest of the team, hogging a door with shield/hunters fury/scorpio is not fun for the rest of the group.

It creates boring gameplay.

• XMdead
    144 posts

From the point of view of a fairly new player I would add that it would be good if they made it more obvious what you are getting into before you join. I know that the information is probably somewhere on the screen but it doesn't jump at you and you often end up joining people that ask for help only to leave quickly because you are not interested in what they are doing.

For example, my gear is not very good yet so I usually play in challeging mode when solo, but do fine in Heroic with another person. So I love it when I join someone doing Heroic missions or other "good drops" activities. On the other hand I have zero interest joining people that playing challenging or randomly running around through the streets.

Also, it is kind of silly and annoying to be 3/4 of the way in a solo mission and receiving a request for help. I often happily drop my mission to join someone if it happens when I am free roaming or at the start of a mission, but there is no chance in hell I will do it when I am almost at the end, so why even offer it?

Or better yet, what if there was a setting where you could indicate what kinds of requests for help you are willing to respond to, so that only those requests get presented to you?

• Noxious81
    1174 posts
    (...) On the other hand I have zero interest joining people that playing challenging or randomly running around through the streets. (...)

Or better yet, what if there was a setting where you could indicate what kinds of requests for help you are willing to respond to, so that only those requests get presented to you?

I don't know how familiar you are with the MM options in TD2, so sorry in advance if the following should not be news to you:

When searching for a group, you can select the difficulty you want to join. So for example when queueing for a random mission, you can choose to only queue for heroic missions. I usually use the respective tab on the mega map when looking for a group playing random missions. At least for me that seems to be the most comfortable way.

And you also have a tab right here for looking for calls for backup. So you can – whenever you want – check that tab to see, whether someone is calling for backup. Or you could again go to the aforementioned matchmaking tab to start MM for backup calls. You will then be able to join agents in distress a bit quicker than by waiting for ISAC to promote a call to you.

Also, you might want to play around with your own group's privacy settings a bit. By toggling your group's setting to "open", other agents searching for groups and games can join you and your group freely and every time. So you can choose which mission or activity to play or which difficulty and which Directives to select. You of course can also start matchmaking when starting a mission, but generally opening your group can also speed up that process and fill your group up whenever needed.

• ElBiggus
    7 posts
    @noxious81 When searching for a group, you can select the difficulty you want to join. So for example when queueing for a random mission, you can choose to only queue for heroic missions. I usually use the respective tab on the mega map when looking for a group playing random missions.

Doesn't help for "Answer the Call" though: it's a nice idea, but the implementation is all kinds of wonky. If nothing else, if it told you what the player was doing and gave you the option of helping or not it would go a long way to helping matters; as it stands you just get sucked in with no warning and could find yourself dropped into the middle of more or less anything. More than once I've spawned in the middle of a Heroic firefight with three downed agents with directives active that leave me with no ammo and no skills and therefore unable to provide assistance, or died to an enemy I haven't even had a chance to see because it's literally spawned me in the middle of it, but on the other hand I've also found myself in with a bunch of people doing a story mission where I can pretty much one-shot everything with a pistol which kind of ruins it for everyone else in the group. (There's then the additional annoyance of spawning during the final battle in a mission, finishing it, and then the group disbanding before you've got your endorsement.)

• Noxious81
    1174 posts
    (...) if it told you what the player was doing and gave you the option of helping or not it would go a long way to helping matters;

Well, it at least informs you about the activity and the difficulty. Although ISAC often tells me the agent calling for backup would be playing on story difficulty, what then in most cases of course is not true.

And concerning Directives... yeah... that's generally an issue when looking for groups to join. You'll never know what Directives they might have activated. While that usually shouldn't be an issue on challenging difficulty and below or even on heroic difficulty, it might be interesting to know what Directives are activated when joining legendary difficulty.

as it stands you just get sucked in with no warning (...)

I have to actively respond to the call when I'm waiting for ISAC to forward a call – or I have to pick one from the mega map myself. Why are you being "sucked in with no warning?"

(...) I've also found myself in with a bunch of people doing a story mission where I can pretty much one-shot everything with a pistol (...)

Well, that's what people have to cope with when not using MM properly. A call for backup is a call for someone, anyone helping you out when you are in dire need of help. It's system that was supposed to give less experienced agents an option to get help from veterans. So it actively will try to pair agents from lower levels with high-level agents. When setting the group's privacy to "open" instead or when searching for other players via the regular MM, the game will rather look for agents on the same level to put together.

• ElBiggus
    7 posts
    @noxious81 Why are you being "sucked in with no warning?"

If you use Matchmaking > Answer the call it just automatically throws you in to the next "Call for Backup" regardless of what it is - no warning, no chance to say yes or no, just bam!

Suggested Topics