Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 760 posts

I just got to Level 40 on my PS5 account. I’m SHD level 600 on PC. I play challenging on both.

I notice my loot rolls are substantially worse on my PS5 account vs my PC account.

For example… I have been farming ND for a few days in the Summit, and the rolls are getting incrementally better each day… like a fraction of a percent better. But still far short of what I would expect on my PC. For example, I got ND backpacks with WD at 9.4 yesterday and 9.6 today (both with CHC at 6). On my PC character, I recently farmed ND and got some pieces with 15 WD. I’ve not had an attribute over 11 on any ND item after farming 60 floors.

It makes me suspect the RNG system is either factoring in what you have or incrementally improving over time.

This might explain why some veterans here with SHD levels well over 1000 think I’m nuts for complaining about the loot. Maybe max rolls are a lot more plentiful the longer you’re playing, or the better your gear gets?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Aced_100
    56 posts

What I do it keep things with a max roll on something, so you can recalibrate the other stats to max, then you have a piece with max stats. Even if you are not collecting that type of gear you can use it in your recalibration library. You rarely get a piece of gear with all max stats.

• Noxious81
    475 posts

Usually loot systems – most probably just like the one TD2 uses – scale with the difficulty played (obviously) and also sliiiiightly with the quality of loot the player currently has.

So if you are currently playing on a certain difficulty level with gear that roughly fits that level, you will in most cases get loot that's on par with your current gear. Of course some items will be worse, but we also need stuff to dismantle or sell... so that's fine. And then there will be some drops which truly will be a "reward" for you. And in order to be a real reward, they need to be a bit better or a bit more interesting than what you currently own.

This being the short explanation 😉

In other words:
    It has been reported several times, that median loot drops can be improved by not hoarding mediocre loot (neither in your inventory nor in the stash). Because when the game wants to "reward" you it will take all of your items into account. Not only your current build. All items your character can access at that point. So the better the items are your agent carries or has in its stash, the better possible "rewarding" drops may be.

However, this has neither been confirmed nor denied by the devs. But for myself cleaning up the stash (sometimes even including recalibrating some items inside the stash) has always had a small but noticeable impact on my drops.

• LateNiteDelight
    531 posts

I'm confused - you got two ND pieces with Max Roll CHC, but are concerned about the WD roll? Those are gRoll pieces, once you Recalc the Core.

Also, a 64% roll + a 100% roll, means that's an 82% rolled piece and exactly what you'd expect on Challenging.

• Adrian-11
    799 posts

@virtual-chris

What Noxious said.
    Also, I think it depends what gear you are playing with. I used to run with DPS builds, and the RNG was bombarding me with good to god yellow rolls.
    Now I switched to some serious drone+turret yellow cheese and I'm getting mostly reds and blues 🤷

Another weird one seems to be the timing... running invaded missions on Tuesday AM after the weekly rotation scored me god-rolled or to-become-god-rolled with one easy recalibration items, one in two which is exceptional. Also, raining named items and exotics.

• echolecter
    116 posts
    In other words:
    It has been reported several times, that median loot drops can be improved by not hoarding mediocre loot (neither in your inventory nor in the stash). Because when the game wants to "reward" you it will take all of your items into account. Not only your current build. All items your character can access at that point. So the better the items are your agent carries or has in its stash, the better possible "rewarding" drops may be.

If only that was true, then I shouldn't see such appalling loot dropping all the time, so my best guess is the above isn't the case. My agents and stash only carry/contains maxed (or close to) out items. What I do see happening is that attributes on stuff are often capped at your maximum level in the library making finding better ones almost impossible. I only need three on pistols and one on rifles to max out my library but the items I find rarely have those attributes. Same with ACR-E which was my prefered weapon at GS500 before they changed it all. Well, never seen another one again that even comes close to max, or it's purple. Gave up looking for one.

So whatever you might think about how it all works, one thing is for sure. It's designed to keep you playing ...

• Virtual-Chris

@latenitedelight Ah... sorry, they had 6% CHD stats. You're right, if they had max CHC, that would be a non-issue.

There's definitely something that's going into the RNG calculation that is related to how long you've been playing or what you currently have. It's like you'll never see a max-rolled stat at SHD level 20... maybe one attribute maxed at level 200, and it's raining max-rolled items at level 2000. I dunno.

It's probably very rare for someone to start a new character on a new account/platform so this observation has probably not been made very often.

• LateNiteDelight
    531 posts

@virtual-chris That makes more sense, that would put you where the floor supposedly is.

Could it just be a wee bit of negativity bias or focusing just on the rolls of very specific pieces you are looking for? I'm sure you got more than two pieces of loot, and I'm guessing some were better than that 😉

You've got more post-WONY hours than I [I'm ~700 total, playing since launch], but my SHD is 1200. I just have played more Heroic/Legendary/Group than you [and I use Directives frequently], which may account for our gear discrepancy. Plenty of folks have claimed loot is partially tied to a hidden GS, but nobody has been able to show much evidence of it.

That said, I still have pieces I haven't been able to drop, yet I seem to have other luck elsewhere. The RNG is as close to random as I've been able to find in a game, and I think that's unnerving to some - plus they're used to games with bad luck mitigators, so they feel the truly random nature can't be and they're just getting screwed.

• Virtual-Chris

@latenitedelight

Of course I may be negatively biased, but I recently did a Summit farm of ND pieces on both my PC character (a couple of months back) and just this week with my new Level 40 PS character. I can say without a doubt the farming outcome was much more favourable on my PC character - allowing me to put together a god-rolled set in no time. With my PS4 character the best ND set I have is with Weapon Damage of around 11%... I kept farming until I had 4 pieces with 10% or greater and it took 60 floors and one piece is still 9.8% WD. There's a very obvious difference in farming with a new character vs one with several hundred hours. You guys may not believe it, but there's no doubt in my mind that what you have, or your time in game, has a bearing on loot rolls. It would explain a lot of the different experiences being reported with RNG. It also makes sense in a twisted grind way... you don't want a new level 40 character to spend a few hours farming gear in the Summit and come away with a bunch of god-rolled stuff.

• LateNiteDelight
    531 posts

@virtual-chris Didn't say it was impossible. Though someone on the old forum bought a whole new game/account and kept a journal of loot to test it out. Maybe they do have a mild GS based bias - could certainly help explain some "luck variance", though small sample size can also explain it.

Maybe it's just PCs given preference to Consoles 😳

• Adrian-11
    799 posts

@virtual-chris

Man, you really have to join us for a few runs.
    We have no space for anything, gear or components, so we are leaving stuff behind...

• Aced_100
    56 posts

@adrian-11 If you were on PS4 I would gladly join you to try and get the Eagle Bearer or Big Horn about the only exotics I don't have and don't seem to be able to get.

• Adrian-11
    799 posts

@aced_100

Well, Eagle Bearer is raid-only, Operation Dark Hours.
    Big Horn drops only in Legendary, strongholds or summit.

• Oatiecrumble
    310 posts

I do think it's all guesswork, when my son played about a year ago i already had very decent gear/build, within just two weeks he had better gear than me even though i have played a lot longer than him.

The only thing i do believe is everyone has different luck, some more than others......why?......i dunno.

• Aced_100
    56 posts

@oatiecrumble I was playing the first Division game global event, got 25 Hunters Faith Classified caches, I only needed a pair or gloves to complete the set.

Got 8 Holsters, 7 Backpacks, 4 Masks, 3 Kneepads, 2 Vests and 1 pair of Gloves!

RNG is crazy in these games.

Suggested Topics