Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 642 posts

I’m putting together a Tip of the Spear build to use the TAC-50 more as it’s the best gun in the game.

I’ve currently paired it with W&H Chainkiller with perfect Headhunter and the Coyote mask. I’m using an SR1 as a primary, and a shotty for close encounters.

I open the fight with a few shots from the TAC, switch to the SR1, use my drone to distract enemies, and finish with the TAC against tougher enemies that join in subsequent waves.

Most attributes are re-rolled for headshot damage which is about 200% . CHC/CHD (without mask) is about 25/50.

If I can stack several headshots… it’s insane. Like 30M damage. But if I’m having a tough time hitting crack heads in the head, it can be painful.

Any thoughts on this?

Questions…

• Should I balance the HSD vs CHC/CHD a bit more?
    • What rifle talent is best?
    • How should I deal with Chungas? Apparently any shot on them will never register as a head shot killing any streak I might have.
    • Sane with Warhounds? What should I do with these headless PITAs?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• xcel30
    341 posts

Quick few brief comments i can make are that if enemies are being annoying to hit, the decoy skill might be more useful for you as it will distract them and make their movement predictable. Since the build is already about killing them in one shot due the big damage i don't thinkg investing in might be that worthwhile as headshot damage should let you get back to one shotting people back faster in case you miss. Can't really give any real advice against armored enemies other than just accept that you will lose your bonus against them so might want to use the TAC-50 to break their armor as fast as possible with the raw damage

• Virtual-Chris

@xcel30 Thanks... I've tried the decoy skill and it works ok with the Mantis which keeps it active longer. But without the Mantis, it's pretty much useless and even with the Mantis, I found it not as effective as the drone. But you are right, enemies that are engaged with the drone (or anyone really) are like speed freaks on crack and are terribly challenging to consistently hit in the head. But I think the drone is the superior tool for distracting enemies and with the mods that come with sharpshooter, it lasts forever.

• Virtual-Chris

I saw something in a YT video that mentioned that the best thing with warhounds is to target the legs... that you can potentially one-shot them with a HH stack by shooting the legs. Anyone have any further insights into how these dogs work? They don't have armor bars, but they do appear to have armor? It's very confusing.

• xcel30
    341 posts

@virtual-chris I believe it depends on the type of robo dogs, each having different unarmored parts

• LateNiteDelight
    467 posts

Any reason you are using the SR-1?

I actually find Spotter with the M700 Carbon more consistent if I'm struggling with Headshots that day [my "Mobile" sniper]. Or Glass Cannon with the White Death ["Park & Boom"]. I try to have Headshot and either Armor Regen or Weapon Handling as my attributes. It's nice having some aRegen for the times you get nicked [have a Belstone with HS where I rolled the Core]. Headhunter is amazing when I'm clicking, but those two have better floors [and body damage].

Crit I find more useful if I'm going with the G28 and treating it like a Rifle with more HS damage - since it has the RPM for it - but even then I'm probably going with a variant of my "Mobile", and using Opportunist.

I'll have to check my TipS build when I get home, but I think it uses both the Chest + Bag, with a Punch Drunk Mask, and Airaldi something else.

• the_Kettle
    140 posts

Regarding tactics for decoy, heavies and dogs, this video has quite a few useful tips (although I wouldn't bother copying the exact build unless you're trying to solo legendaries):

Basically, the legs on all warhounds are unarmored but take reduced damage from bullets, however headhunter bonus damage ignores that damage reduction, so if you've got a stack or two you can do far more damage or one-shot them. For heavies, use & lose your HH stacks to break their helmet, then shoot them in the head again to rebuild stacks for any other enemies. Where possible, leave a few red enemies around as emergency stack-fuel when dealing with a mixed group of enemies.

• Virtual-Chris

@latenitedelight

That makes sense. I’d be curious about your TotS build details when you get a chance.

Why the SR-1? This is my new level 40 character on PS and he doesn’t have much to choose from. I farmed MMRs in the Summit and the only ones that weren’t garbage rolls were a couple of SR-1s. Did I mention my views on farming loot as a new player? 😉

• Virtual-Chris
    Where possible, leave a few red enemies around as emergency stack-fuel when dealing with a mixed group of enemies.

LOL… “stack-fuel”. I wonder how they feel about their roll 🙂

But good insights. I also came across that video on Reddit. Good stuff. Thanks.

• LateNiteDelight
    467 posts

TipS Chest, Holster, Bag, Gloves, Punch Drunk, Airaldi Kneepads

• Virtual-Chris

@latenitedelight

What specialization weapon are you using that with? TAC? It seems like Headhunter is the obvious choice for that weapon which is why I’ve opted for a chainkiller chest piece. I give up the added 20% for all weapon damage but if I can even hit headshots with an MMR every other time I’m better off. Right?

• LateNiteDelight
    467 posts

@virtual-chris Tac-50

I don't find Headhunter necessary on Challenging ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With that build, I can one tap Elites with the Tac-50. The only trickier bits are Named or Chunga.

• LateNiteDelight
    467 posts

Oh, and Dogs suck.. I'm not much for sniping against Black Tusk as much as the other factions

• Virtual-Chris
    @virtual-chris Tac-50

I don't find Headhunter necessary on Challenging ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With that build, I can one tap Elites with the Tac-50. The only trickier bits are Named or Chunga.

I see… I’m building this for coop group play on Challenging which will increase sponge a bit and number of enemies so I can’t use the TAC exclusively.

BTW, another reason I’m using the SR-1 vs the White Death, which actually dropped for me recently, is because I really don’t like using weapons that belong in a museum. I have strange role playing issues. 🙂

• LateNiteDelight
    467 posts

@virtual-chris ha, one of the reasons I don't M1A, I just can't overlook the extra HS [or sound] of the White Death.

Keep your eyes peeled for a nice M700 Carbon, I find it an improved SR-1.

Suggested Topics