ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• XMdead
    Original poster 144 posts

I am fairly new to D2 and I must admit that a lot still confuses me. One of the the things that I find most confusing is the difference between my DC-only and my NY+DC characters. It almost feels like they are completely different games.

• I massively enjoyed the experience of starting from zero in DC and moving gradually up to level 30, then world tiers and eventually to tier 5 level 500. Still a long way to 1000. Also, I quite enjoy the variety of daily and weekly projects, plus the guidance I get as to "what is important to do next" to progress toward completion. On the other hand my experienced friends kept telling me to not waste time doing that since all of the gear I get will be trash once I take the character to NY. And yet, I still find this character's gameplay better so I don't want to ruin it by taking it to NY for juat a day or two worth of added content.
    • So, to check it out I made a new character for NY, got done with the NY story in a day or two and returned to DC expecting the same kind of experience but with better gear. Nope, there is a ton of stuff on my map but zero guidance. Even the simple "priority %" is missing and the variety of projects is far more limited. On the other hand, it seems that there is some point in trying to collect gear and work towards good gear.

So, on to the questions:

• How do the two types of character fit together?
    • Is there any point to play DC-only past level 30 (world tiers and level 1000) if you plan to eventually take the character to NY? Or is it better to keep it as a DC-only character with its own gear?
    • Can a world tier 5 DC-only character use any of the gear from the NY/DC character?
    • Can a world tier 5 DC-only character matchmake for heroic and legendary missions like in NY/DC characters as a way to get worthwhile gear without going to NY?
  • Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Virtual-Chris
    805 posts

@xmdead

In my opinion, the best way to enjoy the combined game is to play the DC campaign to WT5 doing as little side missions and other stuff as possible… as fast as possible, while of course, taking in the story. Then go to NY and get to level 40 as quick as possible. Then really start playing the game.

The reason I say this is that you can’t really settle in and enjoy the game until you stop levelling and obsoleting your kit. Once you’re level 40, the opportunities really open up as you can start putting some gear together that will last indefinitely. And you can go back and play any content you skipped on this accelerated path, knowing the rewards are not garbage.

Spending any time in DC at level 30 is not going to benefit you down the road at all. Everything you collect or do there is instantly obsolete the moment you go to NY.

To put the gear difference in perspective… I think at level 30 and GS500, a shotgun will do around 100K damage and you might have 100K armor. At level 40, a shotgun does 1M damage, and you might have 1M armor. They aren’t even remotely in the same league. If you use level 30 gear in NY you will be underpowered almost immediately… certainly within a level or two.

• Adrian-11
    897 posts

@xmdead

To answer your questions...

• WT5 with gear score >500 is the "old", obsolete endgame, level 40 is the "new" endgame, and the true one (for now). Not sure you will find any fitting together for the two characters.
    • Yes, if you play for the first time. WT1 to WT5 tells the story of the BT invasion. Once you are at WT5, no, there is no point in lingering in DC. If you are at the second character, it really depends what's the purpose of that character. In most cases, it makes sense to skip DC entirely and boost to WONY (except when you want to re-experience the story).
    • No, your WT5 char can NOT use anything from WONY or anything from level 31 and up. You can tho move stuff in the WT5 char inventory and use that char as a mule.
    • No, you will be matched only with players on the same level, and I think there are not very many players still playing at WT5. I bet matchmaking will be a challenge in itself.

Now, about the damage or armor at WT5 vs level 40... the reality is that the NPCs are also scaling with the level you are, so you will not feel 10 times more powerful in the game between WT and level 40. It's just numbers.

• dagrommit
    894 posts

The reason you're finding fewer projects at L40 is that some of them have been superseded by the seasonal activities (i.e. manhunt, league, global event).

How do the two types of character fit together?

They are different stages of progression

Is there any point to play DC-only past level 30 (world tiers and level 1000) if you plan to eventually take the character to NY? Or is it better to keep it as a DC-only character with its own gear?

The only reason to continue playing a L30 character is if you want to farm DZ resources as the L30 DZ is almost empty

Can a world tier 5 DC-only character use any of the gear from the NY/DC character?

No, as it will be L40 gear

Can a world tier 5 DC-only character matchmake for heroic and legendary missions like in NY/DC characters as a way to get worthwhile gear without going to NY?

No. You can group (by inviting, or being invited) with a 40 character, but won't be able to use L40 gear.

• XMdead
    Original poster 144 posts

So it sounds like I did it the right way then, kept the DC-only character around for when I feel like playing the old way "just for fun" and probably solo because the gameplay feels more enjoyable, but spend time building my gear on the new NY+DC character. When I need a well built character use the NY+DC.

Suggested Topics