Quick Suggestions

• Viking_Jarl
    100 posts

I WANT A HUNTER-KILLER!

"If Massive added AI team mates they would need to rebalance the game"

Seriously dude, what balance?

• Imagine_Brata
    757 posts
    here team mates in action. they kill everything miles away and blow up any vehicle in 2 or 3 shots and no difficulty makes no difference

The driver is even worse than teammates. He thinks it's GTA and has no driver's license 😁 😁

• N3mB0t
    1147 posts
    f Massive added AI team mates they would need to rebalance the game"Seriously dude, what balance?

sunday necro ?

virtual_chris now lives on reddit and is still to this day doing the same questions he did here ,lol.

• Maliarto
    25 posts

@noxious81 Clearly you've never fought rouge agents.

As long as the friendly AI plays like that it would work. Wouldn't need to give complicated commands. Just simple "Take cover here" would work well enough. Maybe be able to go into a menu to pick options for what abilities they can use. etc.

• Noxious81
    1197 posts
    (...) Clearly you've never fought rouge agents.

Clearly. Absolutely stunning how you are able to determine an agent's experience based on one mere posting.

As long as the friendly AI plays like that it would work. Wouldn't need to give complicated commands. Just simple "Take cover here" would work well enough. Maybe be able to go into a menu to pick options for what abilities they can use. etc.

So you're saying a companion AI should work like the Rouge AI. But then you yourself say that you should at least be able to give some basic commands. And you should be able to choose their skill etc. – so, that's not all something you can "copy and paste" from the Rogue AI.

Especially as the Rogue AI is not supposed to cooperate with a human player. Having AIs behaving in a way they can really contribute to the gaming experience of human players is a very very complicated thing. Adding commands for a companion AI (even simple ons) is also a huge load of work, as a lot of variables, situations, and according behaviors need to be taken into account. "Take cover here" – until when? Until the players advanced? Or until there is a new command? How should the AI behave when being pushed by the enemy AI? Will the companion always obey – or sometimes deny the command if sent to a dangerous spot or into the crossfire? What about gear, armor, health, accuracy, CHC/CHD etc. pp.? You'd need to completely rebalance the game for usage with one or more AI companions.

So no... it's not really a viable option to just modify an existing enemy AI.
    (But... considering your last posting you will most probably just again say that I would not have a clue at all – maybe while also tryin to add some belittling – and claim that this requirement would be easy to implement – while ignoring the main parts of my post.)

• Aced_100
    264 posts
    Clearly you've never fought rouge agents.

If we could get an AI team mate that had all the skills of a rogue agent I would go for it, how many skills do these guys have, seems like everyone at once.

• Maliarto
    25 posts

@noxious81 Changing player to friendly and enemies to, well, enemy, isn't hard. It's a simple flag swap in terms of code.

Rouge agents have default loadouts (duh). But the loadouts could also be selected by the player. Plenty of games do this.

It's not as complicated as you make it out to be. Commands can be very simple. "Move here. Take cover there." Have a timer of X seconds (or a minute. Or until told) for cover. Example: AI teammate moves on their own after X time or when player is Y far enough away from them (default behaviour could be set in a menu by player). The rouge agents also already move on their own, as shown when we fight them. And so would fight against the enemy like that in turn. We'd just be able to have a little more control. But not "strict" control. Keep it simple. Keep it basic.

Of course the AI team mates would need to be nerfed somewhat. Otherwise they'd just steamroll normal enemies.

Beyond that it would simply be a matter of changing their louadouts. And that's it. It would work for PVE, but not for PVP.

• BN_Xherdos
    2 posts

@maliarto I would really love to have some sort of Ai Companions, like just 3 Ai Agents following, having some Firefights and actually helping out. Had it with many other Low/High Ranking players like once they join they instantly run off do their own thing and not being a Help at all in Missions.

With Ai the problem wouldn't be there and it could be helpful for those who don't really want to play with Randoms and don't have any Friends who play that game.

• Noxious81
    1197 posts
    (...) Changing player to friendly and enemies to, well, enemy, isn't hard. It's a simple flag swap in terms of code.
    (...) It's not as complicated as you make it out to be. (...) Keep it simple. Keep it basic. (...)

I do see where you are coming from. And it indeed is a good idea trying to keep things as basic and simple as possible.

But let me reassure you that those things only appear to you as being "basic" things or "simple (changes) in terms of code". I can tell you this as a person working in a software development company with global players as customers like Volkswagen or DHL. Adding an AI fighting alongside human players is a fundamental change to the underlying game design and impacts lots of other aspects that you and I can't even think of. I just tried to point out some of the more obvious side-effects of incorporating AI mates in any game. After all, you'd want the AI to actually be intelligent when being supposed to help you as a player. So in order to really make this a comfortable and good gaming experience for a human player, you'd need to invest a lot of work in this friendly AI. To make it cooperate, act and react, respond and adapt correctly to the player as well as the enemy AI. And we haven't even talked about balancing both the friendly AI's power as well as the game's difficulty when grouping up with AI mates.

So – this is not a bad idea in general. But it needs a lot of work from ideation to development and testing. A lot of work. And thus such an idea should be incorporated in the basic design of the game from the very start... to make it fit perfectly into the final game. It's not something that you can just easily add to an already published and heavily populated software. Especially not for a teams as small as the current TD2 team.

• Maliarto
    25 posts

@noxious81 Think of it this way. People that join in groups with matchmaking are already fighting with the player anyway.

Have the AI teammate exist for just the mission. Perhaps only when solo. This way it wouldn't interfere with the matchmaking and grouping up.

I'm not sure how it could be made to work when grouping up. But if a player is doing things solo then it seems to work well enough.

Could also have the friendly AI as a selection on mission select. X level AI teammates for the specific mission (depending on difficulty). Works around them being underpowered or overpowered in other missions. The player wouldn't be dragging them around basically.

If nothing else could just summon friendly AI as backup. Like at checkpoints. A chopper dropping 3-5 friendlies after shooting a flare or something. I'd like to see more battlelines and AI fighting with players getting involved. At that point it may as well be a different game though. But maybe some kind of game mode could be made with this in mind in The Division 2.

Suggested Topics