Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheNorfolkian
    Original poster 828 posts

When Ubisoft launched the first Discovery Tour of Hellenistic Egypt in Origins, it was seriously one of the best things I have ever experienced in a video game. The whole concept of using a game environment as a medium for education and information made Ubisoft a pioneer in a new field of entertainment. They followed up this success with the Discovery Tour of Ancient Greece in Odyssey, and it did not disappoint.

Now we have the new Discovery Tour of the Viking Age in Valhalla, and I have to say... I’m a little put off by the dramatic change in how Ubisoft has altered the presentation of the tour. In Origins and Odyssey, historical information was presented either in static screen cards with scrollable text, and/or a motion camera experience through the gamescape with a narrator. In Valhalla, we still get the static screen cards, which are great, but it seems the developers decided to gut the motion camera experience and just have the guy who voices Shaun Hastings (Danny Wallace) reading the text for the game development stuff. It would have been more interesting if we actually had Shaun himself actually ‘pause’ the ‘story’ and walk about talking like he usually does anyway in some kind of hologram form.

Regardless, what Ubisoft did with this new Discovery Tour by actually incorporating a real storyline with characters as a means of communicating certain aspects of social history and culture is interesting, but honestly, it doesn’t seem that different from watching a series like Vikings or The Last Kingdom. If this is the direction that Ubisoft is going to take in the future, they shouldn’t bother having a separate Discovery Tour... just simply build the historical and development stuff into the existing game architecture and let the player ‘discover’ fun facts as they ‘discover’ a new world. Since the developers actually created entirely new icons in the Discovery Tour that are distinct from any other type already viewable in the main game, it is not unreasonable to simply bake it into the final product.

I guess my only other actual complaint is that I was expecting actual console achievements to be tied to this Discovery Tour, just as the last two had them, but getting token gear items and other ‘stuff’ is fair. The new Ealdorman set is kind of cool, and I’m looking forward to seeing well it pairs with the Charlemagne set for some ‘stunning’ action.

That’s my two bits on the matter... how about you?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Kormac67
    938 posts

@thenorfolkian Just played the first chapter and liked it.
    Except for the terrible narrator blaring in some of the detail pages. I really wish I could mute him and just read the text (I can read twice as fast as he talks).

• TheNorfolkian

@kormac67 Yeah, that’s what I was thinking about noting the more I played it. We already have the scrollable text, and for players like myself who prefer to have the subtitles on, it’s extra annoying. We really need a function to ‘skip’ the audio narration.

• OrcBeard92
    170 posts

@thenorfolkian I managed to finish the discovery mode today, and I actually really enjoyed the change of pace. The information was a bit easier to digest for me, than just a guided tour. The little stories might not be to everyone's taste, but it's certainly a more accessible and involving way of giving people the basics of what it might have been like to walk around streets at the time. With all the HUD and everything gone, it was a nicely immersive experience for me.

It left me wanting more, really. I hope they are able to add more stories to it, and improve on it. My only criticism is that giving you information at the datapoints requires flicking to menu's a lot, which took me out of what was happening a bit. Maybe they could have streamlined it better. Was still interesting however.

• JedTed25
    5 posts

I appreciate that we get to see the World of AC Valhalla through different PoVs. However, I'm an auditory learner and I miss the narrated codex entries from Origins and Odyssey's Discovery Tour. I understand not all the entries had VO but it would be a nice addition for some of the bigger ones, especially since Norse Mythology has some pretty funky-sounding names.

I tried turning on the menu narration for the codex and it had trouble with the name Seidr. 😆

• TheNorfolkian

@orcbeard92 You make a good point about having to flick to the menus often. I too am finding that annoying as I play through it more.

@JedTed25 I was expecting more of the style that we saw in Origins and Odyssey, as it was good to hear more words as they are supposed to be said and not necessarily how we read them. We do get that sometimes in Valhalla, but not as often as expected.

• teh_greg
    37 posts

I am extremely disappointed.

I don't care for the story presented in the quest mode.

I expected professionally narrated guided tours.

"Learnings" section which seems to be the main source of information is just walls of texts. Without the narration it's not comfortable to read that much from the couch. At this point it is no different than just reading the wikipedia.

At least "Behind the scenes" is narrated but there's only 25 items opposed to the 153 unvoiced ones from the "Learnings" section.

• TheNorfolkian

@teh_greg I’ve been taking my time playing through the Discovery Tour, and after completing Chapters 5 and 6, I found myself really missing the guided narrative tours. I would have really liked to see a motion camera experience for the historical sites in Wincestre, like the Old Minster. Having a panoramic view just didn’t cut it, especially since we can get a better aerial view with the bird.

It’s pretty obvious that Ubisoft didn’t bother spending the money and time on this Discovery Tour that they dedicated for Origins and Odyssey. All in all, it’s another big let-down for Valhalla as a whole. That said, at least they didn’t force alternate controls on the player in the Discovery Tour.

• defender272_168
    6 posts

I liked it but I liked the older versions from the past two games more. It's probably cause for me they more like history lessons and the new felt more like a read into the making of the game I can find else where. That's just me though.

• TheNorfolkian

@defender272_168 Those ‘making-of’ parts with Shaun felt overplayed, as if Ubisoft was trying to convince us gamers that the amount of work that was put into making the game justifies all the bugs, glitches, poor replay value, unpolished game mechanics, and characters that don’t seem to matter.

Suggested Topics