ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Madhawk80
    Original poster 122 posts

"Ubisoft Entertainment shares slumped Thursday on worries over sales of the latest Far Cry video game. Ubisoft shares slumped 5%, to a level that would be the worst close in more than four years, as JPMorgan analysts cut their fiscal year operating profit forecast by 13% — to the bottom of Ubisoft’s forecast range — on concerns over Far Cry 6 sales".

Damn it, I was so excited waiting for this title, I really like the Far Cry series and own 3, 4, Primal, 5, New Dawn and FC6. Far cry 6 is OK but I was expecting a whole lot more after how much play I was able to get out of 3,4 and 5. I am at 51% complete and have not wanted to log into the game for a couple of days now.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Sparhawk122
    80 posts

As soon as Ubisoft went the female power marketing route I knew this game would not be as good as past Far Cry games.

Still purchased it though. But it's even worse then I expected it to be. That spawning system for starters is complete trash. Can't play stealth playstyle properly without the respawning system interfering.

And the clothing system that replaced the perks system is not a good substitute. Would rather the perk system back.

The characters are hard to relate to. And very hard to like. Too hipster like.

Plus when transitioning to a new zone your minimap gets taken off the screen.

• rizz768
    177 posts

I'm sure this has something to do with the continued scarcity of the PS5, many people not wanting to buy a 'next-gen' game on tired old PS4's regardless of the free upgrade.

Also, while I personally don't mind buying Ubisoft games directly from Ubisoft, there's no doubt losing out on both Steam's install base and advertisement of being on the front page and best sellers list will lose a lot of sales.

They should expect this to happen for quite some time, until the PS5 is readily available, and now without Steam, they will have to play the 'long game' to catch back up to where they were several years ago.

Having said that, I think it's a great game. I didn't immediately enjoy it compared to other FC games, but it quickly grew on me, and it's now one of my favorites from the series.

• Madhawk80
    Original poster 122 posts

@rizz768 I can't say that Far Cry 6 is a bad game, I don't think that it is. I just dislike some of the new systems, ammo, spawn...especially the clothing/perk system is awful IMHO. The too Hipster like characters, bad [censored] women and beta males with issues...there is just something odd that doesn't feel like Far Cry. FC3, FC4 and FC5 were exciting right from the start and received several playthroughs from me. At this point I'm uncertain if I will even finish FC6. Damn it, I really like the Far Cry series but FC6 just feels off.

• SofaJockey
    372 posts

The reviews were remarkably mixed, from 9/10 to 4/10 so i can see that those reactions might have softened the hype.

Personally I think it's the finest of the series, but I've formed that view from having actually played (and finished) it.
    Dani makes a terrific protagonist and the story is strong.

I think a bigger concern for investors may be that the slate of upcoming games are a mix of titles that are unknown or have already been castigated.
    That means Ubisoft needs to fall back on improved profits via digital sales and more microtransactions to make its numbers.

• AurioDK
    11 posts

Far Cry hasn´t developed much story wise, it´s still railroaded and the protagonist has no major choices, the story kills off some characters and replayability may suffer due to knowing that nothing can be changed. You can play the same story again, that´s it. While I loved the previous Far Cry games I was definitely expecting some development in this regard.

The perk system has gone and for many leveling equals bigger rewards than what the game offers, it´s expected from games. The various outfits just don´t really cut it.

It´s much of the same otherwise, nothing ground breaking to separate Far Cry 6 from it´s previous titles.

These are just thoughts/things about the game:

1. Wanted human companions.
    2. Wanted to capture those stupid forts.
    3. Didn´t feel rewarded for leveling up.
    4. Would want to prevent the deaths of at least 2 people in a replay.
    5. Since the overclocked guns are the most powerful let us customize the unique guns.
    6. I still hate fishing.
    7. Wanted new things to do ...

Overall Far Cry 6 is just more of the same, it´s by no means a bad game, I enjoyed my playthrough but I was definitely wishing for more innovation. Don´t know if a comparison to Fallout 4 can be made, but story wise Fallout 4 did things much better when it comes to choices (not the story itself), the fact is that like many others I spent over 400 hours in building mode which is my fault. Imagine if Far Cry let your build your own base in free mode as an optional thing.

• Sleezure
    136 posts

@madhawk80 For one thing, the marketing just wasn't great. The pitch to players was basically just, "Not technically Cuba featuring Giancarlo Esposito." As far as gameplay, Ubisoft really didn't show much beforehand when it really needed to assure people that this would be a return to form for Far Cry. Instead, it doubled down on aspects that people didn't like about New Dawn (junk weapons, level gating, bullet sponge enemies) and weird new elements like the Supremo backpacks. Moreover, some assurance that the title wouldn't be yet another victim of Ubisoft's increasingly pernicious monetization grinds would have helped, but unfortunately Ubisoft leaned even further into those things too.

I just think Ubisoft failed to capture the excitement that might have been ripe for the picking with a Far Cry 6--both through inactions and affirmatively detrimental actions. It's too bad. Yara is great setting. Ubisoft just needed to make a solid Far Cry game using that setting. The worry for investors is that Ubisoft may not be capable of even clearing what should be that relatively straightforward bar.

• Aazhyd
    71 posts

It's pretty playable and enjoyable, but the game is lacking in several points. The story was much more intense in FC5, the skill system removed is a bad choice. Replayability is a question mark.

The game just feels more and more generic, not special like with FC5. Even New Dawn had a new feel to it.

• GameGuru2018
    186 posts

@madhawk80 You're again scaring people all around...

Far Cry 6 is a long playing game. In all senses.
    In terms of sales as well.

Even for the first two weaks it's not bad.

U.K Charts reflect the situation with sales in general.

• carshop22
    42 posts

I have faith they can still fix it!? They just needa fix the spawn rate and skill system...

• Sparhawk122
    80 posts

@sleezure The marketing reminds me of Battlefield V marketing.

• AnimusLover
    265 posts

@sparhawk122 Oh, stop. Has nothing to do with 'female power'. It's because the reviews/metacritic were not good , bad word-of-mouth, shortages of current gen consoles and a crowded market.

• SofaJockey
    372 posts
    @sparhawk122 Oh, stop. Has nothing to do with 'female power'. It's because the reviews/metacritic were not good , bad word-of-mouth, shortages of current gen consoles and a crowded market.

Yes, this 'female power' complaint is a nonsense.

No, the reviews were fine but mixed - 9/10 to 4/10.

No, nothing wrong with word of mouth other than it being mixed, just like reviews.

No. Availability on last-gen means anyone can access it.

No. The game launch market is not particularly crowded this year (just look at February 2022).

• AnimusLover
    265 posts

@sofajockey I think when looking at the reviews. It's not the scores but what is being said that we need to pay attention to. The general sentiment is that you don't need to play FC6 because it does nothing new. People are just tired of the formula. As for the last gen vs current gen, that's just a contributing factor as opposed to the main reason. I think people who were lukewarm on getting the game may have been swayed to get it if current gen consoles had been available but playing a game with a tired formula on old consoles to boot makes it inessential.

The game also is releasing next to bangers like Battlefield, COD which come out next month and then you have other games this month like Alan Wake remastered, Metro Dread, Guardians of the Galaxy.

• SofaJockey
    372 posts
    The game also is releasing next to bangers like Battlefield, COD which come out next month and then you have other games this month like Alan Wake remastered, Metro Dread, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Next to? Weeks apart.

If sales are weak it's down to perception of the game itself, it had an open field.

• AnimusLover
    265 posts

@sofajockey I did also mention the other games released this month. Are you actually going to offer your suggestions as to why it's not meeting sales expectations or are you just going to tiger fight with everyone as to why their reasons are wrong?

You said "perception of the game" but what do you mean by that?

• katzenkrimis71
    229 posts

Ubisoft shares slumped 5%, to a level that would be the worst close in more than four years.

===

Seriously? You're going to start talking about the roller coaster of stocks in a game forum?

Ridiculous.

5% means nothing. These are huge companies. It's part of business. Would you like me to start talking about how Electronic Arts' stock value dropped by 13.3% in 2019, and then surged by 9.6% with the release of Apex Legends, and then they cut 350 jobs to end the year. Or how EA had the best year ever in 2021 thanks to FIFA and Apex, netting 5.63 billion in revenue. Or what their stock situation is at this very moment. Or how they are worth 40 billion dollars.

Ubisoft is worth almost 7 billion. They didn't get that way by releasing trash every year.

Gamers are a joke. Not only do they nitpick about the games themselves, but now they want to pretend that they are stock market experts.

How much do you have in the bank? Maybe we should assess your situation, in percentages.

Jesus Christ.

• SofaJockey
    372 posts

@animuslover Sure.

I do think Ubisoft has has some fairly awful (deservedly so) press of late, and whilst Far Cry 6 is is solid, that poor press and a general fatigue is taking its toll with people on the fence.

Folk get excited if particular franchises or publishers drop games, but Ubi is hard to love at the moment and a new Ubisoft game has the reputation of being more burger than steak.

To give one further example, the backlash over AC's Unity didn't just hurt that's game's sales, it hurt the following one. It doesn't matter if a game is wonderful, people won't know if the don't buy it and they may not buy it if prior games have put them off.

Ubi have the poorly received Breakpoint and Divison 2 in recent history. It's not a studio that has a reputation for gem after gem.

They way back is solid hit after solid hit. Quality first.

• Akira1364
    159 posts

Too bad. I'm enjoying the game a lot overall, but it does currently have some rather more significant bugs than previous games in the series did at launch, as far as I can recall.

@sofajockey The guy who gave FC6 a 4/10 was the same guy at EGM who gave FC: New Dawn a 4/10, and seems to have this weird stance of everything about the gameplay needing to change drastically for a given entry in the series to not be lazily made or something like that.

• Akira1364
    159 posts
    This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics