ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Varjag31
    Original poster 11 posts

Mind that this is only my opinion, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I didn't finish the game, but I am at about 2/3s and not rushing through, doing the side stuff, uncovering the map etc.

There are many things to like in FC6, but there are also so many reductions and step backs that I really wonder how the game was getting so much praise. It intrigued me to fire up New Dawn, as one of the less liked instalments and play it side to side just for comparison. There is so much more to that game, even though it's almost universally regarded as not that good. I guess people were tired of the FC5 by the time New Dawn came up, but I'm playing that game thinking how much more of everything there is in there.

Yara is relatively flat. There is no verticality to it. Wherever you turn, you find hills at best. I know it's due to geographic location, but Cuba which obviously inspired the game, is not THAT flat. I've been there in real life, and I can obviously recognise many locations. They did manage to catch the spirit and feel of many of the places I visited, but everything seems so small and restricted in scale. Cities and towns are tiny.

Enemies are all the same. You are non stop killing two different male and two different female soldiers. The rebels you meet on the path that give you quests are same two models in each region.

Weapons are limited by the leveling system. The moment you pick up a weapon with max slots, which is very early in the game, you have no incentive to use the older ones. Even the uniques become a bit useless. I stopped caring entirely about any new weapon I pick up. They could have included some kind of upgrade system - since they already designed it in RPG fassion, so that you can keep playing with the ones you like the most. Either go full in and design the upgrade system, or ditch the RPG and allow people to use whichever weapon they feel like.

Backpack is a gimmick that is fun at first, but entirely forgettable. Armor and clothes are not you upgrading your character, its you picking things up that remove most of the gimping. You don't feel like getting an upgrade, you feel like reducing a penalty. And even that most of the times you don't notice that much.

World is static. You don't take over anything. The story progresses, but the same non-capturable objectives keep being in enemy hands all over the map. You never get a feeling you are progressing in your rebellion and you are taking over teritory, even though the story is trying to tell you so. You finish the storyline, take over a region, but it functions exactly the same as when you first entered it. The world just reverts to it's default state the moment you turn around. What is the point of taking over enemy check points, if it doesn't result in a lessened enemy presence in the area, or more rebels popping up. Probably the only imactful thing is destroying enemy anti air so you can fly.

Weapons not dropping to the ground reduced the dynamics of the combat so much. Before I was many time forced to pick up random weapons from the floor because I ran out of ammo, or it was maybe a good opportunity to use a weapon that I don't have on me. That is gone.

None of the characters in FC games are a peak of storytelling, but I'm not sure they can not go much more shallow than this. The main villain and his son are interesting (especially the kid), but they get so little exposure. The rest of the cast is forgettable. Your allies are caricatures with no depth or character arc. They stay mostly the same. I just can't get over the fact that an insurrection against an oppressive regime is lead by edgy, angry, frustrated teenagers. If they wanted to insert real world problems into the game, they could have done so much more. Kids who had to start working early in the modern serfdom. Child soldiers. Dissilusioned intelectuals. Opressed priests and religious communities. Dissilusioned military or police. Intelligence service surveillance. Where are the workers, the farmers, medical personel etc. The rebelling military ... there is so much more they could do.

Let's not talk about atrocious respawn out of thin air. Yeah it was more or less there before, but you do expect things to improve not get even more broken. The world is not filled with independent NPC agents that do their stuff, it is literally popping out of thin air. If you drive fast with a boat, you can notice other boats popping out of air into the water in front of you. It is the same with most of the other things. Vehicles, enemies, distructable objects, animals. The world doesn't even try to create an illusion of stuff moving through it's life on it's own when you're not looking at it. The civillian actors just stand there most of the times. You don't get a feeling of life in the world.

When people complain about Ubi copy pasting the same game over and over, I don't think they mean they would want Far Cry to become anything else but Far Cry. I'm not one of those people who want to see everything turned upside down, I would just like to see a bit of evolution all over the board from one game to the next one. The base premise of the game and the base mechanics are ok. It's just that you would expect from one entry into the series to another to have some visible improvements in the mechanics and density of the game. The way story is delivered, the way AI interacts with you progressed since Bioshock invented tape recordings everywhere. Ubi seems to be stuck in time considering those things.

The way people live and work. Just compare it to chages from one GTA installment to another, or RDR to RDR 2. Yes it's the same underlying mechanics, but so many things are handled differently that you can obviously notice that it was developed with some innovation in mind.

Amigos are same or worse than before. I don't feel any improvement has been made to the system. Like everything else, you can easily forget they even exist. I love that they included Boomer, but that is just them playing on the nostalgia strings. Not to say that Boomer is the only one who can actually travel with you, because they already had it done from the previous game, while all the other ones are running behind your car, in a game where you mostly drive long distances with vehicles. They made the little handicapped dog with wheels instead back paws and a crock in a jacket run behind your vehicle wherever you go. Thats just lazy.

It's an ok game in the end, I'm having some fun with it, but I feel I overpayed for what I got. There are better shooters out there, there are better immersive RPGs out there, heck, there are better Far Cry games out there. If I turn half of my brain off and just go shoot stuff and not try to be immersed, it can be fun for a short time. Most of the funny occasions come from janky AI occurences that you don't expect in a full price, big studio game. Ultimately it's a forgettable, average installment of a series that doesn't seem to make any visible progress. I don't think it's nowhere near worth a full price.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• rickidoo2010
    128 posts

While I totally respect your opinion, and don't doubt you feel exactly as written, it's the exact opposite for me. I find many of the characters very interesting, the story telling exceptional and chillingly reflective of the kinds of things that would go down in an authoritative society. It's a subtle story perhaps and doesn't have the craziness of Vass or Min, but at it's core its chilling.

As for the gun system, again I would say that not everyone is trying for the biggest and badest weapons. That's the beauty of this (and past) FC games... game play and game play intensity is up to each player's preference. But the crazy powerful weapons are there in case that's what one is interested in. I have been a hard core FC player forever and I some of the combat in FC 6 is the best and most intense of all the series. (And some not... but that's to be expected just after release.)

So its really in the eyes of the beholder.

• DV20Katana
    155 posts
    I find many of the characters very interesting, the story telling exceptional and chillingly reflective of the kinds of things that would go down in an authoritative society. It's a subtle story perhaps and doesn't have the craziness of Vass or Min, but at it's core its chilling.

This is what confuses me about this game. When the first trailer dropped it was chilling. The riots echoing the unrest in places like Venezuela - in fact it looked almost exactly like the mass rioting in Caracas. The dictator is very well played (but as with all FC games we see too little of them). So I got the impression that the game was going to feel more serious.

Then came the combat rooster, a crocodile, a cart towing dog, "rebels" that act/look like its a beach party, backpack rocket launchers, insta respawn enemies, dumb enemy AI etc.

In stark contrast to that first trailer. The game cant seem to make up its mind.

It is now a Just Cause 4 expansion to me and I treat it is as such. I really really wish it could have felt more chilling.

• SofaJockey
    372 posts

People like different things. I got bored of GTA after 5 minutes and never finished RDR2.

FC6 on the other hand I've had a blast with, completing the game.

• Flanker1Six
    228 posts

Killer posts by Varjag31 and DV20Katana!

"Then came the combat rooster, a crocodile, a cart towing dog, "rebels" that act/look like its a beach party, backpack rocket launchers, insta respawn enemies, dumb enemy AI etc." 🤣 Priceless!

"In stark contrast to that first trailer. The game cant seem to make up its mind." Nailed it! Ubi has frequently been schizoid in it's FC franchise. They present very serious, adult level story concepts, issues, premises, and plots.......................then fail to develop them to their logical real world conclusions, and/or plug in some arcade/comic relief stuff to "lighten the mood". Goofy *** racing games/collectables, adolescent fantasy weapons, cartoon NPC characters, etc in the middle of various forms of slavery, torture, oppression, gun running, drug dealing,human rights violations, etc.

If Ubi were human and in a relationship they would be "the uncommitted" partner.

"Your allies are caricatures with no depth or character arc. They stay mostly the same. I just can't get over the fact that an insurrection against an oppressive regime is lead by edgy, angry, frustrated teenagers. If they wanted to insert real world problems into the game, they could have done so much more. Kids who had to start working early in the modern serfdom. Child soldiers. Dissilusioned intelectuals. Opressed priests and religious communities. Dissilusioned military or police. Intelligence service surveillance. Where are the workers, the farmers, medical personel etc. The rebelling military ... there is so much more they could do." Perfect example/s of the above. I suspect part of this is due to a sort of insularity and parochialism within a corporate game developer environment. Maybe a few of the Dev Team have been out there in the grit, grime, pain, and sordidness of the world situations they present in their FC plots, but I suspect most mirror whatever the Ubi Corporate Employee Paradigm is. I do think Ubi put more effort, realism, and grit into 6's friendly/ally/associate NPC characters than 5's, and it's a step in the right direction; though it could have been even more steps in the right direction if they'd presented them as you've articulated. Oh well, even one step is better than none. While I enjoy the game play in 5 (with the FC 5 Resistance and Better Ballistics mods) tremendously-----it's had to ignore that all your allies, with just a couple of exceptions, are total caricatures. God furrin', redneck, gun totin earholes! Juxtaposed against rampaging theft, appropriations, forced indoctrinations and conversions involving torture, public displays of torture and executions, massive scale drug poisoning, etc If a plot/story premise could get much darker than a civil war in a remote very rural area; where you have to slaughter your former friends, neighbors, relatives, and family members................I don't know what it would/could be. Then Ubi filled it with Clutch Nixon, Hurk, Sharky, grizzly bear and cougar GFHs amongst other arcade trappings. Like I said........................uncommitted [and maybe a bit ignorant and squeamish----a 100% real world sim of dark stuff? NOT a good idea! Wouldn't do to have most of your customer base end up with PTSD from playing your game! 🤣]. So, yea; I really do think Ubi stepped up their story presentation game in 6, even if it isn't where it should be considering the subject matter and story premise.

• DV20Katana
    155 posts
    Enemies are all the same. You are non stop killing two different male and two different female soldiers. The rebels you meet on the path that give you quests are same two models in each region.

World is static. You don't take over anything. The story progresses, but the same non-capturable objectives keep being in enemy hands all over the map. You never get a feeling you are progressing in your rebellion and you are taking over territory, even though the story is trying to tell you so. You finish the storyline, take over a region, but it functions exactly the same as when you first entered it. The world just reverts to it's default state the moment you turn around. What is the point of taking over enemy check points, if it doesn't result in a lessened enemy presence in the area, or more rebels popping up. Probably the only impactful thing is destroying enemy anti air so you can fly.

Weapons not dropping to the ground reduced the dynamics of the combat so much. Before I was many time forced to pick up random weapons from the floor because I ran out of ammo, or it was maybe a good opportunity to use a weapon that I don't have on me. That is gone.

I just can't get over the fact that an insurrection against an oppressive regime is lead by edgy, angry, frustrated teenagers. If they wanted to insert real world problems into the game, they could have done so much more.
    Let's not talk about atrocious respawn out of thin air.

When people complain about Ubi copy pasting the same game over and over, I don't think they mean they would want Far Cry to become anything else but Far Cry. I'm not one of those people who want to see everything turned upside down, I would just like to see a bit of evolution all over the board from one game to the next one. The base premise of the game and the base mechanics are ok. It's just that you would expect from one entry into the series to another to have some visible improvements in the mechanics and density of the game. The way story is delivered, the way AI interacts with you progressed since Bioshock invented tape recordings everywhere. Ubi seems to be stuck in time considering those things.

The way people live and work. Just compare it to changes from one GTA installment to another, or RDR to RDR 2. Yes it's the same underlying mechanics, but so many things are handled differently that you can obviously notice that it was developed with some innovation in mind.

Totally agree - specially the rebels comment. I dont care who the rebels are in this game and find them all so annoying - ONLY because of the over the top party atmosphere when around them. Ruins the immersion. The bad guys always retaking places gives no sense of progress and takes away any sense of satisfaction after a gun battle because they all come back!

Killer posts by Varjag31 and DV20Katana!

Thanks! It was that first (impressive) trailer that later made the disappointment worse when other features of the game were revealed. After I saw the tame "companion bear" in FC5 (which I avoided like the plague) I thought "I hope the next FC doesn't have these".
    Rooster: "Well hello there. Cluck cluck"
    However - I will acknowledge that I'm thankful for small mercies - you do not HAVE to use these cartoon creatures to progress in the game. Whew.

A change of mindset helps me though, I just try and forget that I wanted it to be a slightly more serious Far Cry and treat it like a Just Cause!

• strigoi1958
    24 posts

I have to say, I am really loving FC6. I don't mind if the enemies are replicated... they're just a target to me. I like to think of the objective rather than the details. The only things I miss from previous games is....

I like seeing the skills ala FC3 and I like the plants as opposed to the recipes.... but if I could hover over an animal or fish and see what recipe it made and what it did.... well, that would do.

Also, I liked seeing what animals I needed to hunt for upgrades.

I do feel those gave the games a sense of progression on the side activities... I do miss that, I feel as though I'm fishing and hunting but no longer know why. But it is still fun.

Also selling items..... I can only seem to sell 1 or all.... I'd like to be able to sell as many as I want without selling all or slowly selling one at a time.

Other than that, the outposts, bases, treasure hunts (I love them), collectibles, missions and bandido missions (which I like as they remind me of the assassins missions) are all excellent.

• DV20Katana
    155 posts

@sofajockey if only more people realized that before jumping on people. We are all different and like different things. Games like any other art form are subjective. I hated RDR2, the open world is fantastic and so are the side missions. But the story and main characters do nothing for me, hated them all and found the game slow and boring. But when I say this on social media oh geez the world comes to an end "How can you say such a thing? Whats wrong with you?"

They just dont get it. That we are all wired differently.

• GameGuru2018
    182 posts
    ..... Cities and towns are tiny.

Enemies are all the same......

Weapons are limited ....

Just compare it to chages from one GTA installment to another, or RDR to RDR 2. ......

Lack of financing.

Don't compare!

Do you know how much money was invested in these Rockstar games?!!!

Have you heard about Rockstar exploitation?!!!
    Slavery is always more effective!

• Varjag31
    Original poster 11 posts

@gameguru2018

Yes, and Ubisoft is a poor indie studio that barely puts food on the table.

Also, it maintains the subsidiaries in places like Vietnam, Ukraine, Serbia, Romania and Bulgaria for pure charity, out of goodness of their hearts.

• hortys_99
    18 posts
    Lack of financing.

Don't compare!
    Do you know how much money was invested in these Rockstar games?!!!

Have you heard about Rockstar exploitation?!!!
    Slavery is always more effective

Lack of financing? Please, Rockstar simply subscribes to the idea of quality over quantity and Ubi prefers to do things the other way around. I don't think Rockstar's labor troubles are really any more significant than is standard practice across the industry, it's just made more of a focus when they do it because they produce higher profile titles.

• Community-Wurth
    12 posts

Obviously, if development team can hear the voice of the players who bought the game of first release,which the game is in waiting for next updated,that these effective improvement will let them to gain the real trust of players.

Suggested Topics