ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• thebrufo
    Original poster 1 posts

Trying to update Far Cry 6 so I can play, but first it allocates the disk space, and this literally takes hours and sometimes when it's 50 percent done it restarts to the beginning again. I searched it up and windows forces ubisoft to make an copy of the complete game files which is like 70gb instead of just the patch for virus scanning, but I can't waste 2 hours doing this because my wifi is slow, it was suggested to exclude ubisoft launcher and the game from windows defender from anti virus activites but idk how to do this specifically to those two programs so I turned off real time protection and everything else in windows virus settings, same thing is happening. It worked once but I turned it back on halfway through the 1.2gb download and now it is once again permanently allocating disk space. restarted pc and ubisoft launcher multiple times. if anyone can tell me how to disable virus scanning for far cry 6 and ubisoft launcher that would be helpful, but still the restarting before it even reaches 50% allocation still isn't explained, I also have enough space by like 10 gb only though

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Viral
    2366 posts
    Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your patience. We do have an update to share with you all in regards to this issue. So there are 2 main points to this issue:

1. The file structure of FC6 particularly not having good compatibility with the UC build distribution system (resulting in big patches and long file allocations)

2. Ubisoft Connect used a custom file copy solution which added additional time to the file allocation and caused corruptions in files if the download was aborted during file allocation

For #1 this is a large issue that is baed on how Ubisoft Connect manages builds and data on a fundamental level and would require a revamp of the patching system which is complex and not quick to implement.

For #2, a fix for this was deployed end of last year when we switched from our custom file copy solution to a windows standard one.
    This brought down file allocation times somewhat but most importantly stopped the files from being corrupted if the download was aborted too early.

We want to assure you all that this issue is a priority for us but not an easy thing to fix, however, fixes designed to mitigate this issue are planned for later this year.

I am unable to share specific dates for when this fix will be released but if any of you have any further questions please let us know and we will do out best to respond to them.

Thank you.

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts

Hey @thebrufo, thanks for reaching out, welcome to forums and sorry to hear about the issue you ran into.

So that we could look into it further, may I first check the following:

1. Is the disc to which you're attempting to install it nearly full by any chance? If so, I would suggest to either try using disc which still has plenty of space available or see if you can clear it up a little
    2. Are you attempting to install it to local or external drive? If you do happen to have access to external drive, you may try downloading it there and then transferring your content over to local disc
    3. Have you tried defragmenting your disc?
    4. What anti-virus software are you using? In order to find information on how you can whitelist it within the software settings, usually you can just simply go to their website and it should be available there

Let us know and we will take it from there!

Official Response
  • Stromsted
    1 posts

Same issue, allocating diskspace takes hours, while download and installation takes 5-10 min. 1 Gig internet, more than 200 giga of free space, disk is fragmented etc. there is absolutely no reason this should take this long!
    Just to test speed, I made a complete copy of the Far cry 6 from one SSD to another - this took 5 min. ... allocating disk taking hours must be a fault in the code somewhere....

• Ubi-Dino
    Ubisoft Support Staff 100 posts

Sorry to hear you're also having trouble with this @Stromsted. To clarify, have you had a chance to try defragmenting your disk, you had mentioned that it was fragmented? Also, I suggest giving this quick and simple troubleshooting a try now. Let me know if this continues happening so I can continue investigating this from there.

Official Response
  • Olenilsen
    1 posts

Agree with Stromsted. It takes forever to allocate space, but the dl is very fast. I would try the suggestions form USS, but I do not have any issues with Steam or Origin, they use only seconds.
    If not for FC6 I would not use Ubisoft. Actually not so bad today, only half an hour and 75% 😕

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2623 posts

Hello @olenilsen,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue as well.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided by @Ubi-Dino, by any chance?

Official Response
  • rodrigen
    2 posts

I have the same problem right now. Waiting too long looking at "allocating space" with Far Cry 6 update. Why?
    I had the same problem with AC Valhalla few months ago too. Fix it already please.

• svgsteel
    1 posts

@thebrufo Same issue here. I see that the Ubisoft Support Staff is replying about disk fragmentation, first, a SSD disk should never be defragmenteD, it does not improve anything. Second, why not download to a temporary location while defragmenting? At least then, the update after defragmentation would go much faster.

• mcvpjd3b
    1 posts

I'm running this on a super fast NVME disk with lots of free space. Allocating disk space should take (milli)seconds at most, but it takes 5+minutes. I know it's nowhere near as bad as others have, but it shouldn't take any time to just allocate disk space. Maybe the code needs to be reviewed, or maybe it's not allocating disk space but doing something else and the description then needs to be changed. Either way there is something wrong with this process.

• UhHowHowHow
    1 posts

SAME. FarCry 6 is attempting to allocate all the empty space on a 3TB drive. This has happened before with other updates for Farcry. I can either wait hours for the allocating to finish (no) or uninstall and reinstall the game which is a pretty big download. I have already recently done that. I won't play FarCry 6 if I'm going to be punished with this with every update. Many people are reporting this and it really should not be that hard to replicate for anyone looking into this. You guys really need to focus on user experience more.

• proflindwurm
    3 posts

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security on Windows 10, so parts of windows defender are controlled by this software. Disabling the Kaspersky protection temporary has fixed the problem for me.

The allocating procedure takes now 8 minutes instead > 1 h.

I think it is recommended to have a closer look on your windows defender settings.

• Evanbr
    1 posts

I assume that there is a package size for the update and that Ubisoft Connect has access to read properties of the HD space available from the disk on which the game is installed. Am I missing something? Just very frustrating to want to boot up the game and be forced into an update that appears to perform poorly. I can understand a slow transfer rate for the download and even longer install time but allocating disk space? Please help me understand for my sanity's sake. 🙂

Took more than 10 minutes for disk allocation
    Less than 1 minute to download
    Less than a minute to install

Seems very odd....

I know, 1st world problems but still.

• Kelju_K
    16 posts

The allocating takes long time cause it allocates much more space than what is needed for the patch. I followed the free disk space during the allocating process.
    The free space on that drive (sata SSD) went from 123GB to 30.9GB during that process. For 1.2GB patch!!!!
    Thats insanity!
    My friend didn't have this problem. His download started right away.
    And there was i, waiting for an hour to allocate the space... The download was quick, when it finally got to that point but it was too late for my friend then already.
    We had plans to play FC6 together that night....
    Never happened because of this stupid thing.
    Amateurish responses from ubi in here too. "Defargment your drive".. Really? you should NOT defarg SSD if you want it to have normal lifespan of SSD drive.
    C'MON! you gotta step the game up a bit UBI!

Edit:
    The free disk space got back to normal after the download was installed.
    But why? Why it needs to allocate the size if the whole game install for 1.2gb patch? Something ain't right how this ubisoft connect platform works. And this happens everytime ubi game needs a patch.
    Never this kinda of problem in steam. EVER!

• ofiry
    1 posts

This is really annoying,it takes hours... will u fix it already?

• Yuvzie
    1 posts

Allocating Disk is taking for ages!!!!!!!!!! [censored] is that?
    how the hell on 2021 we still have these kind of stupid problems
    and i have over 200GB free space on each of my 3 discs (all local ofc)

And as far as i can see there's still no and will not be a fix for that stupidity
    Such a huge disapointment Ubisot

• Deege1
    1 posts

I see Ubisoft has stopped replying to this issue. It's a shame, this is a problem when you can download a 100gb game in the time it takes to allocate disk space on a 15gb update. /shrug. It's disappointing. My computer is not the issue, it's on ubisofts end.

• Kelju_K
    16 posts

Hey fellas. With the recent update this didn't happen anymore to me. The allocating process took seconds, and download a minute.
    What i did different than before?
    I launch the game from steam (to get my xbox360 controller working properly) normally, as i did now.
    However! now i cancelled/skipped the update when prompted about it, and started the game offline.
    Then when game loaded, quit to desktop.
    Closed steam.
    Opened ubi connect main window.
    Changed to online mode.
    Started the update process.
    Everything went quickly and smoothly.

Dont know if this was just a fluke, or did ubi fix the launcher/updater?

But i deviated from my normal process, and got results surprisingly. Maybe just luck this time, but also maybe worth a try for you guys are still having the same issue??

• syngiun
    1 posts

@ubi-karl Unfortunately I am experiencing this same issue on the latest update today. I have a 7GB/sec NVME Samsung 980 Pro storage on an x570 platform with a 5900x CPU - all custom water cooled including the chipset. This is really 2 issues. 1st, why the hell is the game reserving HUGE quantity of disk space? 2nd, why does the allocating disk space process on utilize about 80MB/s speed when there is so much available PCIE SSD bandwidth? Poor game design on both issues so far.

Edit: I stopped the update process after it reserved over 100GB. No game is supposed to do that.

Edit: Finally got it to work by closing the updater which was launched when I launched the game. Then I opened Ubisoft connect directly. It opens a the ubisoft platform similar to steam. Finally the update started downloading without a long allocating disk space.

• AJeiFoyt
    10 posts

Just "downloading" the new "Rambo Update". 1hr in and it's about 55% through "Allocating Disk Space".

112Mbps Internet Speed
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mHz
    C:\ = 1TB Samsung NVMe Drive
    D:\ = 2TB Crucial SSD (Dedicated solely to Ubisoft games), 38% Free Space
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus

I'm fairly certain that it's not my rig or my internet.

• AJeiFoyt
    10 posts

@syngiun This is ridiculous! Thanks for the tip! Going to try it now...

*UPDATE*
    Nope. It started all over again, and has been Allocating Disk Space for another 43 minutes, and it's currently at approximately 25%.

If I thought I could sue Ubisoft for this atrociously coded software, I would consider it, just to try and teach them a lesson; listen to the customers, aka the people that give you money for a your product, aka the people that ultimately allow you to make a living by making games.

Suggested Topics