Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Adrian-11
    Original poster 687 posts

Let's call it an "update", in case you didn't notice what's happening with your game lately. You know, it's impossible not to notice, but let's use some suspension of disbelief because the alternative is that you don't give a crap about this game anymore.

So, the update is that the game CRASHES... A LOT... and it's getting worse.

Basically, any client update or server maintenance made things incrementally worse. I personally went from not having almost any problem in Feb to a mandatory 2-3 crashes every playing session now (2 hours on average). The only positive (if we can call it that) is that now the error seems to be always the same (the infamous "suspended" state and its error code), reported by many players with various configurations and at different stages in the game. Just check your forum and you'll see all the detailed reports. It's happening while playing, while browsing the inventory, in the loading screen... totally random. And it's not related to players' hardware or software.

Furthermore, since the start of this season, our client version is "unofficial", whatever that means. Needles to say, we never got a changelog for that last client "update", besides breaking the game on consoles.

It's baffling how a game could get worse and worse over time. How is that even possible?! What the heck is happening?

Now you are telling us this: "This additional time will allow our passionate development team to deliver the best quality for this new content. Of course, we will in the meantime continue to support the game and work on most pressing live issues."
    Great words. What about actually doinf something?

When will the crashes be fixed, and perhaps some of the glaring issues that are year-old now???

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• dagrommit
    645 posts

People still run avast? 👀

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/01/avast-kills-off-jumpshot-the-subsidiary-that-sold-all-your-web-data/

TL;DR - they're not trustworthy.

FWIW, *my* experience with the game has been that it doesn't crash for weeks on end, then it'll crash a number of times on the same day, then return to being stable again.

• Adrian-11

@dagrommit

Thanks for the tip on Avast. I will switch to something else right now.

As for my experience, was similar to yours until a few weeks ago, probably since the client update that made it "unofficial". This "suspended" thing happens on a daily basis, several times.
    As I said, it's getting incrementally worse as time passes, even tho nothing changes at my end, despite trying everything and anything.

• dagrommit
    645 posts
    Thanks for the tip on Avast. I will switch to something else right now.

Windows Defender is perfectly fine as an anti-virus, as is windows built-in firewall. Installing an ad-blocker to stop malicious javascript from ad networks will cover most users. "uBlock Origin" is reputable and available for the major browsers:

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
    Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
    Edge: https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/ublock-origin/odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeak

• Adrian-11

@dagrommit

Thanks for that.

This thread is about game crashes tho.

• dagrommit
    645 posts
    This thread is about game crashes tho.

I'll note that my anecdote covers the period before and after the last client update - i.e. it hasn't gotten worse. And that I don't run third-party AV or a sketchy VPN.

https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technologies-owns-expressvpn-cyberghost-pia-zenmate-vpn-review-sites/

• Adrian-11

@dagrommit

You are an expert "whataboutist", hands down!!! Congrats!

All these people reporting crashes are bad or stupid people, and it's their fault, no matter what. Ah... Now let me throw up a bit.

• dagrommit
    645 posts

@adrian-11 you do know what an "anecdote" signifies right? Hint: personal experience, not necessarily applicable to anyone else.

Anyhow, for anyone else who uses a VPN, go read the link. It's an eye-opener about the state of the commercial VPN providers, and in particular the owners of ExpressVPN.

• AdiosMFers
    4 posts

@adrian-11 Same exact problem here. I never had a single crash until this season came along and they did the server maintenance. Everyone I play with has the same problem.

• N3mB0t
    295 posts

@dagrommit

anecdote means joke in portuguese , im not a native speaker and i have been seeing that word being used a lot lately to tell personal experiences , and indeed they are kindda right but its the ones to laugh that are anecdotes, not the ones to learn , IMO and a definition i just looked up.

a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
    "he told anecdotes about his job"
  • dagrommit
    645 posts
    anecdote means joke in portuguese , im not a native speaker and i have been seeing that word being used a lot lately to tell personal experiences

As a native English speaker, that is the context in which I am using it. Hence the "*my* experience" bit in the first post.

• WrecK3rr
    48 posts
  • echolecter
    84 posts
    It's baffling how a game could get worse and worse over time. How is that even possible?! What the heck is happening?

I personally think (and from own experience) that a lot of the games are designed to work with specific hardware limitations in mind and use software libraries that are not written by game developers themselves, they rely on the work of others. Now that doesn't have to be huge a problem when you are able to make changes when those libraries start causing problems due to updates.

But the main problem often is that games are designed to use the maximum capabilities of systems that run them, thus allowing the makers to do all the neat and fancy stuff. Now here comes the problem, when in future updates they add more stuff to the game it can cause issues that make it unstable because the game goes over this maximum threshold. Without a doubt they will be using threading within the software and this can create timing issues if not used properly, as in certain routines or data transfers now taking longer to complete. And when threads lock specific data stored in memory they cause major problems when other parts (concurrent threads) of the game try to access that data and fail to do so. But it can be anything, I am not a game designer but do work on complex business software and if these contain such errors you get very nasty phone calls and in worst case the advice to go out and search legal council.

Honestly, I haven't got a clue what is causing the crashes but do know that it never crashed on my system before, not even got any delta errors while playing the game. Posted some trouble-shooting earlier and partially blamed EAC but not so sure that's the main cause. The error logged in events is already several years old, and it also gives you an idea how motivated they are to solve problems. Somewhere with TU12, the conversion to Connect, and who knows what else they changed in their infrastructure it all started to go wrong. I suppose this all comes with games as a service where constant changes are bound to happen, sometimes they are good, in this case the update was incredibly bad.

Let's hope they still have some senior programmers working on the game and that they are able to eventually work it out and fix it. But they sure as hell need a long time to do so, provided they were working on it all the time, which of course is doubtful.

• hralex1951
    56 posts

I do not use Avast or a VPN and the freezing is worse than ever. I get at least 2 freeze and crash each session. Every match making game has at least one player get disconnected. They have had months to fix this and they are not going to do it.

• Adrian-11

@hralex1951

In the meantime I did remove Avast, tried two other antivirus products and just the Windows Defender. Removed the VPN. Removed C++ libs and let TD2 to install only the ones it wants. After all of that, things actually got worse, crashes to "suspended" every 15 minutes on average.
    The only thing that improved the crashing situation was to switch to DX11, but in the process I lost ~10 FPS, picture lost some vibrancy and depth...

• WrecK3rr
    48 posts

@adrian-11 Trust me when I say this. It ain't your system. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
    In pursuit of fixing this one game, changes you make to your rig will actually make things worse for other games/programs on your system.

• Adrian-11

@wreck3rr

The groupie raised somewhat legitimate concerns re. privacy in that whatabout branching, so I said WTH, let's try something else, even though it was clear had nothing to do with the game crashes (ran those for years without any problems). 🖕
    As a result, I am now I'm stuck on subpar performance of DX11, if I want to play at all.
    One of the Ubi reps said in another thread that this issue is at the top of the priority list (I read someone is finally looking into it), so fingers crossed 🤞

• WrecK3rr
    48 posts

@adrian-11 That "Someone" has been working on this issue since launch so...
    Don't fall for that. I have seen them remove/skip potential crash fixes from title updates.

Anyhow, What I do and which seems to help on my rig,
    is deleting both Shader Cache folders when I start having CTDs.
    No, it isn't a permanent solution but it seems to hold crashes for at least a month or so.

• dagrommit
    645 posts
    The groupie raised somewhat legitimate concerns re. privacy in that whatabout branching, so I said WTH, let's try something else, even though it was clear had nothing to do with the game crashes (ran those for years without any problems).

Just to be clear, I pointed out that both Avast and ExpressVPN are sketchy, and provided backup for those claims. I did not claim that removing them would fix the problem, just that I was experiencing a different pattern of crashes without them. Good to know you can read though 👓 🤡

And yes, removing the C++ libraries was a bad idea, as you may have broken something else that used them.

• Adrian-11

Found some sort of combination of things that allowed me to play the game on DX12 smooth as butter, hope I will not jinx it.

Did two things:

1. reinstalled all C++ libs, latest versions; found this all-in-one here, and works great.
    2. Start Connect as admin, start the game from Connect, then set the EAC affinity to one CPU core only, from the Task Manager. (not my idea, was suggested in another post)

If this method works for you, keep in mind you have to set EAC affinity each time you start the game. Didn't look into how or even if possible to set it permanently.
    This worked for me for now, may not work for others and who knows if it will last.

All in all, there is something fishy between DX12, EAC, Connect, and maybe VC++ libs. I might be down to how DX12 is scaling to use all cores, and EAC not liking it. Not my area of expertise 🤷

Suggested Topics