ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• LordErec42
    Original poster 4 posts

I know FC6 is out now and FC5 is completely done, but I just finished my FC5 playthrough and wanted to share my thoughts.

The overall premise of FC5 is a major stretch, especially in this day and age with modern communication systems. Even if the cult were able to cut all communication lines and control the right people to not raise an immediate alarm at losing communication with an entire county, with all the preppers in the area and the rampant brutality on public display I would expect images and video to still be going out over packet radio and a national guard response. Everything related to the story feels forced and at odds with the sandbox gameplay, especially the forced story missions at each resistance level that drags you out of whatever you were doing. Then there's the ending. Without beating a dead horse, it's one of the most forced and least satisfying endings I've ever seen. Just awful IMHO.

Once you get past the bad story, the gameplay is actually pretty good overall with a large sandbox to explore, which is where this game shines. I'm extremely happy to see the radio tower climbs and required hunting for crafting materials from FC3 and FC4 were removed. The map is a nice size with some nice driving roads up through the mountains and overall is pretty good. My only complaints are that there's some missing fast travel points at some vehicle spawn areas, and not enough car shops up in the mountains. Also feel like the devs went overboard with depicting cult brutality with all the bodies strung up absolutely everywhere.

Side missions are hit and miss, a few are great fun, some are amusing, most are forgettable and/or annoying, and a few are super frustrating where you have to scour entire regions for unmarked objectives (specifically for destroying the shrines and wolf beacons).

Gunplay is a mixed bag. Some enemies are way too much of bullet sponges, gun damage largely feels too low outside of headshots, and the specialty ammo is largely worthless. What's the point of .50 AP if it can't headshot a guy with a helmet?!? In general the specialty ammo isn't powerful enough and is way too expensive, so I basically didn't bother using it at all. There's not enough gun variety, the gun list looks a lot bigger than it actually is since most of the guns are basically copies of each other with slightly longer/shorter barrels/stocks, and most of the prestige weapons are just skins with no gameplay difference. Equipping weapons from the store is also terrible UI design having to find the gun where you bought it in the store (was it from the prestige section of this weapon type or the highlights section?) instead of being able to view all owned guns, not sure how such a basic feature was implemented this poorly.

Stealth gameplay suffers from the same problem as most games. It's all or nothing, either nobody knows where you are, or if you don't kill a guy in one shot suddenly he and all his friends magically know exactly where you are even at long range and zero in on your location. Related, the bow is really weak later in the game and isn't really a viable stealth option since it can't reliably one shot kill, and isn't suitable for running battles with its low fire rate and projectile speed. Might as well just use the starter assault rifle with a silencer, one of the best weapons in the game honestly.

Craftables are poorly implemented all around. Other than molotovs, the rest of the craftables make no sense. How can I craft remote/proximity explosives and industrial manufactured dynamite but not pipe bombs?!? The homeopathics being unlocked from the start makes no sense, it seems like these should be unlocked via quests. Dynamite and grenades also feel really underpowered, remote explosives are superior in pretty much all situations since they're more powerful, cheaply craftable, and explode exactly when you want them to without cooking.

Vehicles are alright, the handling model is easy to drive although the top speed is too low for cars and trucks.

Characters are alright, interesting to see so many of the FC4 characters returning, and many of the new ones felt like fairly normal people trying to do their best in dire circumstances. Others were off the wall crazy, but it did feel like there was a decent balance.

Overall, I would give FC5 a 7/10. It's not a bad game when you're exploring the sandbox, but it's also an example of much of what's wrong with AAA gaming with cookie cutter games (this feels very similar to just about every other Ubisoft open world game including Assassin's Creed) and has in-game currency (silver bars) for MTXs and a lot of poorly balanced content and a forgettable story that doesn't mesh with the rest of the game.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Madhawk80
    122 posts

"radio tower climbs and required hunting for crafting materials from FC3 and FC4 were removed"

I missed them. *shrug* I had a lot of fun climbing those towers 🙂

• ExpertPegasus41
    8 posts

@lorderec42 agree on a lot of things. It's very clear the people designing the game have zero experience with guns. A pistol should not kill as well as any rifle, a 223 should not kill as well as a 308 and the 50cal should beat them all. Have you noticed all the cartridges in belt fed guns have already been fired, the primers dented? Tells me whoever did the graphics have never seen a new cartridge(bullet even though the bullet is the pointy copper thing in the front) Fry Cry 6 is the same way.

Suggested Topics