ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Asterix201252
    Original poster 275 posts

I have recently been encountering a problem where ships are waiting at the Trading post while multiple piers are available at the Docklands.
    In the first video, it appears that the ships are targeting a point just to the left of the trading post. There used to be a pier around this position, which I created to satisfy the Shopping Centre quest (see thread https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/109914/harbour-districts-don-t-count-toward-trelawney-objectives?lang=en-US) and then immediately deleted.

I then exited the game and restarted it (I have the exit autosave if you want it.
    After that, the ships seemed to be targeting somewhere near the centre of the Docklands, though they still waited for the Trading Post to be available. (2nd video)

I don't know how long this has been happening. I had noticed it before, but never captured it. I have a feeling it started at Game Update 12, but I'm not sure.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1244 posts

@Asterix201252

Hey there.

Thanks for reporting this to us. If you can submit those save files to us to attach along with your videos we'd really appreciate it. Please upload those to a third party file host of your choice and send us a link when you can. Thanks!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-orion
    Hi there. The autosave file taken when I quit the game after recording the first video is attached to ticket [redacted].renamed as Pier Problem.

• Asterix201252

I have found a work-around for this issue. I have moved the Trading post to the other long beach on Crown Falls. This means that it is now a longer route than the Docks for almost every trade route. At first, most routes went to the Docks, but a few stubbornly remained trying to go to that deleted pier. I fixed these by deleting the route (in the trade route menu) then re-creating it.
    Everything now goes to the Docks apart from one route which comes from the SE on Cape Trelawney. There doesn't seem to be any waiting at the Docks. I have multiple Loading Wharfs, which greatly increases the Goods loading speed (14 t/min vs. 2 t/min), making the routes much more efficient.

I think that the root cause, or at least a major contributor, is the routing algorithm. It seems that distance between the loading and unloading points is the main determining factor. It doesn't seem to take note of the loading speeds associated with the source and destination. It also appears that the actual load and unload points may be set when the route is created and may not be dynamic in responding to piers being deleted or moved.

I have added a new save file to the ticket (Pier Problem 2), which is how it is how it is now.

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

The weird assigning of ships to queues is happening for a long time already, you can trick the system sometimes, by forcing way points on the other side of the island. This is especially a problem with islands in the corners of an Arena.

Somehow the distance calculator for routes has a higher priority as the dock queuing listing (Someone made a video about slot assignment, but I cant find it.).

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

I get a weird error when I try to update the last post;

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

Lets try again... this island is burdened a lot due to a very high preference for the Trade Post shore with only two piers, located on the North shore (seen on the left, in this orientation). The island is serving about 2000+ ship movements on a full cycle of all routes.

undefined

The west shore are looking at in the front of the picture, has more piers and a double booster fitted in the Harbor Master office and eats queues way faster but has no higher assigned priority for routes.

undefined

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

Check the queue ratio of the Eastern shore, compared to the Western shore, and the absurd high queue count on the Trade Post shore, which is not build off when the other shores free up.

Btw, the Eastern queue will also dissipate soonish, the island has no troubles in general handling the volume, only due to the game parallel loading ships, it sometimes gets hit by waves of ships from the same route / origin. Example; with ~80 ships serving rubber shipments a wave can be ~ 20/30 ships at once. Same with Coffee on my other hub, where you sometimes also get hit with waves of ships, if the wave of one origin is overlapping with a secondary origin wave, the queuing will intensify for a bit until the (double) wave passes. Of course supply chain wise that creates a problem, since the source islands will overflow with stock, due to sourcing island in the New World and Enbesa cannot hold a lot of stock per island. For Rubber, Coffee and Chocolate I thus have load balancing ships between my source islands, to re-balance stocks on the origin islands. Other waves can be Iron / Coal / Wood or Sand of which I show my production per tick in the next image;

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

Same island after writing the above post. The wave on the eastern shore dissapated after the wave passed and the Trade Post queue is still apparent, western flank still having ample processing room.

A filter on Iron import from Crown Falls (which I use as hub, as in a hub-and-spoke system), two of the routes visit high volume Iron consumption islands first, to lower ship-volume on my hubs (Penny Farthing island and Canned Food island.). What would help a lot, is when empty ships would "skip" unload drops, if they are empty.

• Asterix201252

@sirharrypierce
    I'd actually been taking a break from Anno 1800 and played a bit of Anno 1404 recently. That reminded me that what would be nice for 1800 would be to go back to the 1404 system whereby you could chose which harbour you wanted to use for each trade route.
    In this example, the southern route goes to the Southern harbour and the route from the West goes to the harbour in the North-West

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

@asterix201252 yes, that would be wonderful.

Also a negative filter on advanced piers. In the Arctic I would exclude Coal on a few piers, so you always can use Full Onload, now you have to use way to many ships in a shuttle service. On some island I would exclude Coffee or Iron or, to make sure all "non bulk" traffic could always dock, without being part of the queue.

• Asterix201252

@sirharrypierce
    Yes. I guess we've both said some of this before. For me, the Advanced Piers have helped a lot, but I think that your worlds are much larger than mine so they have their limitations. They also don't work if you have a "priority route" with more than one type of goods on it.

However, what seems new to me this time is two things:
    1) This is the first tine I have seen trade routes fixate on a pier that has been demolished
    2) New Observation I have also noticed that having re-built the trade routes so they tended to use the docks, after I had exited the game and re-started one or two had reverted to preferring the Trading Post on the East Coast, even though it was a longer longer route that the Docks on the South Coast for routes coming from the South-West. It's going to be a real pain if I have to re-make them every time I play the game.

So, while I agree that the trading route algorithm has been flawed since the very beginning of the game, something seems to have happened recently to make it worse. That thing seems to relate to Game Update 12 However, it could be that the "thing" is that my city is has a larger population and more types of goods with using skyscrapers and I'm beginning to run into what you have been saying for some time.

• Asterix201252

@ubi-orion

Did you manage to get the files that I attached to that ticket? I have had a bit of a back and forth with some of your colleagues, and I think that there has been a misunderstanding about what I intended the ticket for, which I raised solely to give you the save file.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2885 posts

Hey guys,

Thank you for the continued discussion on this, especially adding in screenshots and sharing your workaround @Asterix201252 !

I've passed all of these details onto the game team, it may be that they need more info so please keep an eye out here!

If there's any further changes / workarounds you find while tinkering with your routes, please keep us in the loop!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-theberry
    A bit of an update for you. I found that I had built myself into corner when I had large numbers of skyscrapers and decided I had taken that game as far as I could. So, I started a new game using the same map. Having encountered the issues above, this time I built my Crown Falls Trading Post on the long Eastern shoreline, with the Docklands on the Southern shore. This made the Docks the natural short route for most imports, coming from Old World, New World and my main Cape production island, which is in the North West corner. The Trading Post is the shortest for some Cape Trelawney production in the South and East and (I think) Enbesa. I kept the two piers that the main Cape Trelawney storyline demands next to the trading Post.
    This all works fine. I have never seen ships waiting to unload anywhere.
    I think it's still a workaround, and I think the ship routing algorithm is still flawed, but I can live with it for now.

• Asterix201252

I have found another manifestation of what seems like a flawed tracking algorithm. It appears that if a ship on a trade route is heading towards a Pier when you update that pier to an Advanced Pier for a different product, the ship just stops. Today I wondered why I was running out of Ethanol in Cape Trelawney, and consequently Lacquer. I went to check that I had allocated enough holds in the ship bringing Corn to my New World production island and found it hadn't made a delivery for 90 minutes but was "headed" for an Advanced Pier for something else. I noticed something similar a couple of days ago. I'm sure this used to work OK, but something seems to have changed, maybe at Game Update 12.

Taking up on a point by SirHarryPierce, this trade route is an example of the limitations of the Advanced Pier. The route also carries small quantities of Camphor Wax and Cotton. I want to make this a priority route because of the Corn. If I lose that, I lose Ethanol and Lacquer which are needed by Department Stores. Losing these, loses their benefit of reduced consumption of other things like Cigars and Bikes and messes up my entire supply chain. At the moment, all I can do to prioritise Corn is to make this route carry only Corn and make an Advanced pier for Corn. Then I have to add a new trade route of the Camphor Wax and Cotton, increasing the congestion at the port. What I want to be able to do at the Advanced Pier is to be able to set it to prioritise this trade route (or maybe this ship or group of ships). I would prefer it to be this Trade Route because it makes it easier to deal with routes with multiple ships on the route.

• SirHarryPierce
    203 posts

@asterix201252 Railroad Tycoon II had such a feature, each route could have a low/normal/high prio, that way you could manage priorities.

• Asterix201252

@sirharrypierce
    I was thinking more along the lines of:

Advanced Pier 1: Coffee Trade Route
    Advanced Pier 2: Corn and Cotton Trade Route
    Advanced Pier 3 Chocolate Trade Route
    etc, etc, etc

I can do 1 and 3 at the moment, but not 2

EDIT:

I just realised that I have misunderstood how the Advanced Piers as characterised. The wording on the tool tip is "Only trade routes with this resource will load and unload here". I thought that made the pier inclusive to one type of goods. However, I have discovered that what actually happens is that as long as at least one hold contains the specified goods, it will unload all goods. So, a Corn and Cotton trade route will go to an Advanced Pier characterised as Corn, and will unload both Corn and Cotton.

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1244 posts

@Asterix201252

Hey there.

Thanks for the additional reports and I'm glad you were able to find a temporary workaround to this whilst our teams continue to investigate. As soon as we have any updates on this issue we'll update the thread. Cheers!

Official Response

Suggested Topics