Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• veico_cm
    Original poster 29 posts

I tried to do it against the big enemies with the unblockable flail swing attacks and I didn't perform the Counter Roll once. I had both skills unlocked but never managed to do it.I tried it with both gamepad and keyboard controls. Am I missing something or is this bugged?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1156 posts

Hey @veico_cm

We have had a report from this from another player but our game team have been testing this since and have not had any issues with it. They have noticed it is harder to perform now, so this may be something that gets treated as a suggestion to make it easier in future updates, but it has been working for them.

I would suggest to try asking on the General Discussions section of the forum too, as players looking there may be able to give you tips on how to perform it better, or you may be able to find some videos online that show it in action.

Official Response
  • lemmie88
    274 posts

@veico_cm I did it a few times to the regular bandits with the club in England. I think the timing window to perform it is smaller and closer to the attack than the normal counter roll.

It is very underwhelming. It looks like it should be assassination damage... And the enemy is being hidden-bladed right in the heart... but it shaves off a toothpick of health. It's like Eivor is poking them with a finger instead of the hidden blade. PLUS one of the best parts of the counter roll is to gain access to the weak points on the enemies' back (which doesn't happen with the master version). I am going to remove it next time I play. It just seems either not well-thought-out or not performing as intended given the difficulty to execute.

• bielik01
    1281 posts

@ubi-froggard I can't do any counter rolls

can you merge this thread with this one?

• lemmie88
    274 posts

@bielik01 I thought the counter roll had to be done during an enemy's rune attack. I'm not seeing any rune attacks in your video. Are you able to turn them off?

I don't want ppl to think I'm crazy, so here is video of master counter rolling a woe-bringer. You can see it takes me quite a few tries, and the directionality of the dodge/attack does not look correct. Also, the damage is pitiful. He really shakes off a heart shanking.

Also a Gedriht. I wasn't able to do it with any of his flail attacks, only the grabbing one. He also doesn't care that I just stabbed him in the heart.

The easiest and most consistent way I get it to happen is with the kick-dirt-in-my-face attack (bandit with club). They telegraph way in advance. Also, I don't have all my skills unlocked yet, so maybe there's skills conflicting? idk.

• bielik01
    1281 posts

@lemmie88 later I discovered the counter roll only works with rune attacks, so I spend another hour taunting Bannerets and Yeomen, with no success. Maybe I should try different types of enemies...
    Before TU 1.4.0 it was easier to do a counter roll on an enemy.

• bielik01
    1281 posts

@lemmie88 still no success...

• lemmie88
    274 posts

@bielik01 Are you playing on nightmare difficulty?

I had been playing on very hard difficulty. But I saw someone posted that it doesn't work on the hardest difficulty setting. I tried it myself. I switched to nightmare (which also deleted my Reda quest! 😤) and I couldn't do the master counter roll anymore. So maybe that's why. Apparently, its a known issue. They really should tell us these things instead of letting people keep trying the impossible!

• bielik01
    1281 posts

@lemmie88 I am aware of the problems with Level Scaling, so I turned it off. I play on Aesir difficulty setting. So maybe that also breaks a thing or two...

• lemmie88
    274 posts

@bielik01 I have two settings, Difficulty and Level Scaling. I didn't change Level Scaling at all. Mine is on Constant. I believe Aesir = Nightmare. So yes, the master counter roll is broken on Aesir difficulty. If you change to Drengr, you could at least try it out. Hopefully, they fix it soon.🤞

my settings:

• azullFR
    1720 posts

@lemmie88
    @bielik01

I confirm : the whole counter roll is harder to be done, so the new one is also hard to be done :

I play on the easiest difficulty (I'm a kind of tourist ;)) snce the beginning (2020) with level scaling still on "Off" (never changed it, too)

I am using 6 "Major Escape runes"

Before the update = easy and frequent
    After the update = only performed twice.....

Note 1 :
    there is also a thread talking about the issue in Drengr difficulty, it's here : https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/122308/in-the-highest-difficulty-of-the-game-the-special-skill-counter-roll-cannot-take-effect-normally?lang=en-US
    and another one about this issue, but in any difficulty, it's here :
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/120995/can-t-do-counter-roll-skill-after-unlocking-new-master-counter-roll-skill?lang=en-US

Note 2 :
    I do not like this skill, so much that I de-activated it, wanting to revert back to the old good basic counter roll = Total fail = also affected !!!

Making an "old" basic counter roll and then hit with a weapon of your choice makes (in my case) far more damage than the "hidden blade" and also make you more reactive to equip any weapon than this new skill...
    for me : this new skill = to the rubbish bin

• bielik01
    1281 posts

@lemmie88 yeah, I also changed difficulty setting to Drengr and it started working.

• lemmie88
    274 posts

@bielik01 haha, congrats! I've never seen it with fire-backpack guys before. Nicely done! 😊 👏 👏

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2777 posts

Hi @azullFR @bielik01 @lemmie88 @veico_cm

Just to inform you that the development team are still looking into the issue with the counter roll even though they were unable to reproduce it themselves.

Can you please update this thread after the new update is released and confirm if the issue still persists, thanks.

Official Response
  • bielik01
    1281 posts

@ubi-keo have they tried doing it on Aesir difficulty?

• Ubi-Keo

@bielik01 I am not sure if they have already tried, therefore I have asked if they can to see if they are able to reproduce the issue on that difficulty.

Official Response
  • azullFR
    1720 posts

@ubi-keo
    Thanks to you 🙂
    I will post here if I see any change or not 🙂

• veico_cm
    Original poster 29 posts

@ubi-keo I lowered the difficulty to the easiest one and it worked fine. I usually play on the hardest setting (the one that was added a few months ago). it might have something to do with the smaller parry window you have on that difficulty, maybe the game treats parry frames and the frames you have to perform a perfect counter roll in a similar way, shortening the parry timing so much that it's impossible to perform the roll at all

• azullFR
    1720 posts

@veico_cm
    I think that you are right 👍

I will just add : as I am always playing on the lowest difficulty :
    it was far,far easier and way more frequent to perform counter rolls before the update (still using the same gear as reference) ,
    when I say before the update = as I activated the skill as soon as it was available I can't really say if it's the update by itself that made changes or the fact to get the skill (even after removing it)

Let's see with the coming update 🙂

• Ubi-Keo

@azullfr @veico_cm Thank you both for the information provided.

And yes if you could please try again after the update releases later today and confirm if there is still an issue or not.

Official Response

Suggested Topics